BigHorn Fire

I found another short article about the fire. Sounds like it started with a tire blowout.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/traffic/rv-fire-shuts-down-eb-i-70-in-kck

It's possible that it could have started due to a tire blowout, but I can guarantee you that the propane tank didn't explode. As stated earlier the front end would not have been there. The fire may have been fed somewhat by a damaged gas line after the blowout. Another possibility is it could have been just a plain 'ol brake or bearing fire. I've seen plenty of those.

olcoon

I have to admit that I'll sometimes leave my propane on to keep the reefer working when it's warm/hot outside & we'll be on the road for a while. Last year at Goshen I went to the seminar that Mac the Fire Guy put on & he said that there have been times when, for whatever reason, a propane fire started, and the driver wasn't aware of the fire due to the wind from going down the road. People passing the 5er alerted the driver of the fire. Needless to say, after that I try to leave the propane off whenever I can. Even at that, I usually forget to turn it off when refueling.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We leave our propane on for the reefer as well. I guess as long as we're speculating, How about a failed cooling unit leaking the ammonia out to start the fire? Maybe this rig never had the recall done. Many many ways this could have started but one this is sure, it's a sad situation. On the bright side, no one was killed or injured. One day we may even hear from the owner.

porthole

Retired
The latest news report said it was a propane tank explosion after a tire blowout. Just glad no one was hurt.

Same media types that tell us fire fighters go into burning buildings with "oxygen tanks" on their backs :angel:

This posses the question...How many of us turn our propane tanks off while in transit. I read somewhere that you should turn them off while traveling...especially when refueling...I'll have to admit...I don't. Probably should though.

Only when required by law for tunnels.

wdk450

Gang:
The risk that this flexible propane line presents from damage due to a tire blowout concerned me. Besides doing all I can to prevent tire problems (keeping speed down, tire pressure monitoring system, replacing tires on a regular schedule), I am thinking of enclosing the rubber flexible portion of the propane line under the kitchen slide (very near the tires) in metal flexible electrical conduit.
What do you think?
Do you think that Heartland should adopt this idea??