Bighorn - installing an awning on the slide

gag518

I have a 2015 Bighorn 3570 Rs I am considering putting a second awning on our fifth wheel I'm wondering if anyone has done this or have purchased theirs with a awning on the door side slide out

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

gag518

Thanks for moving this thread I'm not sure where to post specific topics so it's nice to get some help with them since I'm new to the site

jimtoo

HI gag518,

Your very welcome. When you want to start a thread about a subject just go to the Forum general area. We have areas for almost every subject that is discussed and almost all areas apply to all the Heartland lines.

You can also do a search and come up with answers to a lot of questions with out waiting for someone to reply.

Enjoy the forum,

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are you looking to install an electric or a manual awning. The problem I see is adding a backer plate to support the awning. You might call HL service with your VIN# and ask if they installed a backer plate in the slide and where it is.

jnbhobe

I put a 10 foot manual awning on my slide all my Hardware is mounted on the edges of the slide we use it to put the picnic table under then we can sit under the big awning

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our 2015 Heartland Prowler has the awning mounted on the side of the trailer, but it covers the big slideout that contains the kitchen and entertainment center.

I have one major complaint about this . . .

Since the awning covers the slideout (good thing since it keeps stuff off of the top of the slideout) . . . but it basically makes the awning useless since the slideout takes up almost every square inch of usable space under the awning and we find that we never really can sit under the awning for leisure.

This is something that the Heartland engineers and designers need to think about (I'm left wondering how many Heartland engineers and designers actually own Heartland RV's).

Basically, our entire awning is only good for keeping the entrance door dry when it is raining outside . . . otherwise it is absolutely useless!

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020314.jpg

ProwlerDoorOpen-P1000069.jpg

There is not even enough room to put a couple of lawn chairs under the awning!

Heck . . . I can't even put it out all of the way as when it is fully extended it actually rests on the top of the slideout!

I have a 10x10 foot portable gazebo that I set up next to the trailer for the lawn chairs and the BBQ.

BusManRG

We have ordered our unit with the extra awning. When it arrives in a few weeks we will be glad to send you pictures. Hopefully you'll get more info from others on the forum before then!

Sandy

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - it can be added as an after market which we had done on our 2012 Big Country. It depends on whether you want a manual which an individual can do or an electric one which we did. We are not real handy so we had the wiring done by our local dealership. On our 2009 Big Country, we added window awnings our-self but they were not real effective helping to keep the sun off the slide.
IMG_1115.jpg

SNOKING

I have a 2015 Bighorn 3570 Rs I am considering putting a second awning on our fifth wheel I'm wondering if anyone has done this or have purchased theirs with a awning on the door side slide out

I would call Heartland with your vin number and see if it was an option for your unit. The wiring may already be in the slide. Our 2017 BH3575el came with that option installed, all the wiring is buried in the slide walls. Chris

Wmnmy

We were looking into aftermarket slide awnings as some bighorns come from factory with it . I called heartland and was quoted 650$ no problem but campingworld Las Vegas said that price was only for awning not hardware and labor so campingworld wanted to charge me 3600$ for parts labor to install NOT so I bought a 10 ft ezup off amazon with a roller case and weights for 250 bucks very happy with ezup fits nicely in storage under bedroom.. The ezup was construction grade thicker than normal post and canvas ....

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW - talk about hiway robbery from camping world. When we did the add-on, it was about the same price for the electric awning and about 2 hours of labor at the dealership so somewhere around $850 not including tax.

gag518

Thank you for the response I will check with the dealer and heartland before I pursue this further I did find out that dometic doesn't use the same color anymore more we are looking at other options that will work and look good

Alan_B

We just bought a 2016 3570RS. We wanted the slide-mounted awning but this model didn't have it. So we have asked the dealer to see about getting the OEM awning from Heartland and mounting it on the fifth wheel. No quote back yet.