Bighorn - Tire wear

Both my tires on my front axle are wearing on the very inside. I'm not over wt specs and I keep my tire pressures at the recommend pressure which I keep an eye on with a monitor. Any ideas?

wdk450

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Tire wear

It would be worth your while to take your rig to a truck alignment shop and have the axles aligned. When i had this done it cost about $150 an axle. The shop owner told me that even when he orders in new trailer axles, he puts them on the laser alignment rig, as they are never perfect from the factory. I am very sure that multi axis axle alignment is not part of the RV build process. BTW, the standard method to align these axles it to bend them with an air jack setup.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

The shop that is replacing my axles next week said that flat axles will cause the tires to wear out on the inside . . . which is exactly what is going on with our trailer!

The springs are shot, so all of the trailer weight is directly on the axles, which flattened them out (axles should be slightly curved/bowed up in the center).

All five of our tires are shot . . . warn out on the inside edge!

Plus ripped up from the trailer bottoming out on them . . .

wehavefun

MOR RYDE INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION!

Not cheap but we'll worth the money, you will never be sorry for adding the suspension and disk brakes. I passed a couple of accidents on 95 during spring break that I bet disk brakes would have made a BIG difference in stopping in time! Just think about how much money an accident costs.

Just my 2 cents

Birchwood

Our Landmark has always worn inside on the left side where all the weight is with the fridge,stove ,micro and entertainment center
I normally turn the tires on the rim and have them rebalanced.That way I get 4 or five years out of them.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Our tires are all wearing on the inside and outside edge. I check pressure every morning, I was told this is due to over inflating . The pressure recommendation is for foull load. We were weighed at Goschen and it shows no full load . The manufacture suggests 110 for a G tire carrying 3750lbs. when hooked up no tire goes past 3000lbs. Some are at 2700lbs, whats the right answer?

GOTTOYS

Bring it to a Big Truck/trailer suspension shop and have the alignment checked. RV dealers are not equipped to do this and the highly touted Correct Track will only allow adjustment for tracking ie:how square the axles are to each other as well as the frame. You also need to have the camber and toe checked and adjusted. A quality alignment shop can do this. The cost will probably be less than $200.00 and you won't be guessing what the problem is while wearing out your tires thinking they have the wrong pressure....Don

avvidclif

Our tires are all wearing on the inside and outside edge. I check pressure every morning, I was told this is due to over inflating . The pressure recommendation is for foull load. We were weighed at Goschen and it shows no full load . The manufacture suggests 110 for a G tire carrying 3750lbs. when hooked up no tire goes past 3000lbs. Some are at 2700lbs, whats the right answer?

Inside/outside wearing is underinflated, center wearing is overinflated. At least what I've always been told.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Well, not overloaded as per the guys that do the weighing at Goschen. Maybe my gauge is lying to me, I have 3 and each one is different. Got them as per recommendations here. I will have to wait untill goschen and have the entire brain trust help me. Thanks guys

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Outside and inside wear is under inflated, Down the middle is over inflated. If your LM has GY G614's, they should be inflated to 110# cold.