Blow out

mountain1

Tried to send earlier. On our way to Illinois we were following a tow behind and they were running 80 miles an hour. I had just finished telling my wife an aunt that on the forum they really recommended not going 80. The tire blew throwing rubber everywhere. I thought for a minute it might role over but it didn't. Figure the rim was gone. Rubber hit cars all over the place. No one hurt.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
It's too bad they felt the need to put other people at risk while they were being stupid. Towing at 80 is asking for problems. I also can't think of any state where it is even close to legal, not that it really matters to some people.

Kristy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't even run 80 mph when I'm not towing. That's just idiotic. Certainly not considering the potential danger to others let alone his family.

lwmcguir

Good to hear that their are some folks that hold it down. We have been passed by hundreds of HL rigs (and many other SOB's) on I80 running 80 or better. I always think of them running 65 MPH rated tires and then griping when they blow one. We hold it at 75 (17.5 tires/wheels) and get passed all day long. It is a pretty fast interstate and a busy one as well.

DW_Gray

80 MPH, that's just stupid. I rarely go over 65. Most of the time I maintain 1500 RPM and average 58 MPH. It's safer and saves on fuel (10.5 mpg). Besides what's the hurry? As retirees, we can afford to take our time.

caissiel

I drive 60 most of the time and let the traffic pass on and I drive with no one to bother me up front. Its much more relaxing not to have to fight the traffic and have to slowdown all the time because someone fills my allowed distance in front.
Most of the trailers that pass me flying do have bending axles and low tires. It just makes me feel awfull, to think that some drivers are so crazy and don't care, and I can see trouble waiting to happen.

I was always quoted as bragging about not having problems on my long drive south, but at 60 its like sitting on a lazyboy and watching out at the world through the windshield while the truck is on cruize doing all the work.

SilverRhino

80 MPH, that's just stupid. I rarely go over 65. Most of the time I maintain 1500 RPM and average 58 MPH. It's safer and saves on fuel (10.5 mpg). Besides what's the hurry? As retirees, we can afford to take our time.

I totally agree with Dave and everyone else......80 mph is not safe towing or not! We usually travel at about 62 mph.....That is where the EGTs, Turbo Boost and RPMs all seem to fall into place.....The CTD will do that all day long and get 11.5+ mpg to boot!!

I believe we are towing RVs........That's Recreational Vehicles......I am in "vacation" mode when I am on a "recreational" trip....What's the hurry?

wdk450

I try to keep it at the California maximum towing speed limit - 55 miles per hour, even when I am out of state.

jpdoggett

We usually run around 62-65 pulling the rig, and 70-75 without and yes we do get passed by rigs RV & Big Rigs running 80 not a good thing but people are who they are and nothing will change them

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We go 65 max. We've seen the overloaded rig blow past us and then on the side of the road a little later with a blowout. I feel bad, but what can you do?

rebootsemi

It's too bad they felt the need to put other people at risk while they were being stupid. Towing at 80 is asking for problems. I also can't think of any state where it is even close to legal, not that it really matters to some people.

Kristy

There's a lot of states where 75 mph is legal for trucks, back in the large car days we used to run at the speed limits or above, when you get payed by the load the faster the better. With that said a modern truck can run 75 all day long day or night but they are designed and built to be able to do that. If you ever have the chance take a good look and the suspension, brakes, tires and wheels on a truck. One of these cheesey trailers with basically no suspension or brakes and undersized under inflated worn out over age tires should not be pulled any faster than 60-65.
As others have said we move along at around 60-65 mph, that is the sweet spot for the Ram.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I totally agree with Dave and everyone else......80 mph is not safe towing or not! We usually travel at about 62 mph.....That is where the EGTs, Turbo Boost and RPMs all seem to fall into place.....The CTD will do that all day long and get 11.5+ mpg to boot!!

I believe we are towing RVs........That's Recreational Vehicles......I am in "vacation" mode when I am on a "recreational" trip....What's the hurry?

Ditto......65 maybe, to make a run at a hill.

rick_debbie_gallant

We drive 60MPH, but only when we are in a hurry to get somewhere. Usually it is 55mph. We stop every two hours, top off the tank, bio-break for us and the dog, then back on the road for another two hours. Like I said, we are not in a hurry usually.