First Long Trip and Repercussions

ksucats

I originally started to title this thread "Buyer Beware" but we should already know that. With that qualification let me begin by saying I am a bit disgruntled right now so take the following with that in mind.

We purchased our Landmark 365 Key West in August, taking possession of it on 13 August 2015. We did what we thought to be a complete PDI check working off several different work-sheets. We still missed some things as was previously posted. We used the coach for one 'shake-down weekend' and then for a couple of football tailgates but the longest trip was less than 30 miles.( However, it is 150 miles from the dealer to home.) However, the first week in October we took a trip to New Mexico that resulted in 1500 plus round-trip miles being put on the coach. During this trip we discovered several quality control and material issues. The following list is just some of them.

Interior doors will not stay shut -- the door width (the hole itself) is cut too large for the door and the door latch just barely hits the strike plate. Dealer installed three small washers per screw to move the strike plates out when we had the refrigerator moved so that it would open completely (an earlier post.). The door framing itself is properly installed. The bathroom door now has a hole in it from the bedroom door handle hitting it while we were traveling.

Off-Door slide (kitchen and entertainment center) - LARGE holes with daylight visible at both the front and back lower corner, that is the bottom and side seals do not fully seal at these junction points leaving openings, one the size of a folder dollar bill, the other just a tiny bit smaller. Front of this same slide does not seal completely (outside of slide was two inches out. Additionally the rear portion of the slide was tearing the carpet apart as it opened and closed. Fibers of the rug are being pulled out. Heartland authorized a mobile repair tech to adjust the slide while we were in New Mexico but he could not adjust it all the way in because the residential refrigerator hit the island :( ) Result, when driving back from New Mexico we hit heavy rain; carpet at the back saturated with water; kitchen floor had large puddle of water that had gone across and wet the carpet on the other side of the coach. The slide now makes a horrific squealing sound when it extends; we found that at least one of the long white rollers is damaged.

Bedroom bed side slide apparently doesn't seal completely - rain water saturated the carpet on that side of the coach as well. From the outside, and looking at the seals with slide extended and fully in, all look to be in good shape and the slide is in completely.

Finally, the ornamental faux wood on the ceiling in the main coach fell down while we enjoyed this nations finest roads (I-70 and I-25). Damaged the ceiling fan and the fascia over the TV, not to mention whatever damage to the ceiling itself. I would wager that there are a hundred very thin brads that are less than 1/4 inch long in the pieces that fell. No adhesive and a few longer brads in the 16 or so foot length that fell.

When we got back I did a video covering all of the above, plus more (I actually started it before we left, adding to it during the trip, and then took some more video of things upon return home.) I submitted the video with a very long email to Heartland's Landmark Customer Care who looked at it and replied that everything is considered field reparable and to take it to my dealer. I called them, got the correct email address and then provided (emailed) them the same video and the original email with Heartland's reply (actually several additional queries and replies as well).

They, the dealer, in turn sent to whole thing back to Heartland ( :confused::confused: ) and got the same answer back but from a different customer service rep. So, now a month later I have an appointment to take the coach in the day after Thanksgiving so that they can 'verify' everything, take pictures to get per-authorization, and then get the parts ordered. Was told it would be there for three to four weeks. Spoke with them earlier today and asked -- Aren't the Heartland shops closed for Christmas (yes - two weeks); oops, that will delay everything a bit. Ok, early January. Nope - the dealer is taking two weeks off to prep everything for the big Winter RV show. (one week to clean / prep / deliver and set up everything; one week for the show.) So now we have the coach down for two months minimum. So much for using it to take a trip to New Mexico to see family during the holidays.

Many others have posted about quality control and service support. I have no doubt but that my dealer can handle the seals but the manager stated again today that he does not touch the slides, especially since the coach has full-paint and the graphics won't line up afterwards. Paraphrasing him - the factory would make sure the slides were properly adjusted before they painted it! Well, in my mind a properly adjusted slide does not rip out the carpet - it didn't on my two previous SOBs (lower end models at that) so why would a top-of-the-line coach do so? No answer.

Sorry for the rant. Do I feel better? Not one bit. All I can say, and hope, is that others have better luck with their coaches. The wife and I will see what the New Year brings - nothing else we can do at this stage.

GOTTOYS

2 Months out of service is pure B.S.! I would not be a very happy camper. The more I read about the lack of quality control on the newer Heartland products the more I think the days of them building an exceptional product are long gone. This is supposed to be their top of the line product. Shame on Heartland for letting something like this get past the inspection process....Too many posts like this may have me looking elsewhere for my next trailer. This in my opinion is unacceptable...Don

MagnoliaTom

I agree with Don. We are considering getting an upgrade to our elkridge. It's ok but we would like a higher end unit. There sure seems to be more and more of these types of posts about poor quality in the heartland units. We will be looking at other brands as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Your story has me a bit nervous. We just purchased ours and have only a shakedown trip in it so far. We had a short list of things that needed to be fixed but the dealer cannot even get us in till Dec. We do not need it until March but still... In the service techs words, " there are to many rv owners who do not or wont winterize their own rigs so we have to". Like you I know from experience that they are well qualified to do the work. Quality control issues seem to be popping up though. I myself don't care if you have a $50 rv or a $500 K rv, it should hold up. I feel your frustrations and those of others on here feeling the same. I hope everything comes together for your family so you can get your rig fixed properly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Why do you think that your dealer has to do the work? Call HL service and have them find you an independent shop to do the repairs.

ksucats

Heartland approved a mobile tech to work on the initial slide issue while we were in New Mexico. He did what he could but he also felt that the ultimate repair was beyond what a mobile repair could handle - possible removal of the entire slide to repair the rollers, etc. Taking this to heart I sent the original email and video to Heartland LM Customer Service.

In the email I stated that I have the utmost faith in the local dealer's ability to handle most of the things, but given the issues with the slides (not to mention the weight, size, appliances), and a Level-Up issue, I felt the factory would be best for those. I looked forward to their review and recommendation.

Heartland LM CS has now referred it back twice; once by the service rep I dealt with and then another that they dealt with. In both cases they state that the items are considered to be field repairable and to return the coach to the selling dealer. I don't mind taking it to them, in fact it could result in our seeing the grand kids and doing some Christmas Shopping. It is just the time and uncertainty of when we'll get it back (and then if it will really be 'fixed', not just the items above but a group of other more minor things.)

As for finding an independent shop to do the work, I refer to our location as the 'Middle of No-Where, Kansas'. Two hours from Wichita, two hours from KC, two hours to Omaha and eight plus hours to Denver. Not a whole lot of RV repair / businesses out here - the nearest one, which I dealt with when I had my last coach, was, and is, super but they don't sell any Heartland products. I did contact them to see if they were willing to work on my new coach; they were but the same issue. They are swamped right now and can't get it in until late December / early January. It is good to be busy but.....

As I said above, we'll just have to see what the new year brings.

Blessing to all out there, safe travels.

wdk450

Just a quick note on your door problem. My bathroom door initially wouldn't stay shut, I diagnosed the problem to be the striker plate too far from the latch but later saw that the latch was swinging in too low for the striker plate. After spacing the striker plate out from the frame with machine nuts under the plate at the screws, I also re-hung the door about 1/2 of an inch higher by simply removing the door hinge screws, supporting the door at the correct height, and setting in the hinge screws at the new height. Now, correctly aligned, it stays shut when travelling.

ksucats

Dave: Chanute is just about as far from us as Grain Valley MO where our Dealer is located. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Bill: The fix according to Heartland is for the dealer to add material to the door openings (I'll call it shims for lack of remembering the correct term) and then rehang the doors and all associated hardware. I know in a stick and brick that can be done because there is a substantial stud / frame behind the drywall. I have no idea what to expect then to 'nail' into on one of these :confused: . When they added the washers to the strike plates I was told that they would probably have to order new wall panels. Just going to have to see what happens. More fun.

jbeletti

Over the course of 8 5th wheels, I've had a couple with interior doors where the gap between the latch side of the door edge and the latch side of the door frame/jamb was an 1/8" or wider.

My fix in all cases was to remove the latch side door frame/jamb. It's held in with the 2-screws of the striker plate and a number of brad nails. Once the screws are removed, one can easily pull the frame/jamb off.

I then removed all the brad nails from the wood door frame, then using a brad nailer, I shot on wooden "paint can stir sticks". In this use case, their better than using a wedge as they are a uniform thickness and it was that very thickness that I needed. I probably used 4 of them. Then I carefully retrimed the upper (mitered) corner of the removed frame/jamb, shot it back on with brad nails, added the strike plate and screws and filled the brad nail holes with a putty stick.

It's about a half hour job with the right tools and supplies. Not saying you should have to do this yourself - but if you wanted to tackle it, this is how I fixed mine.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
FYI, Heartland can authorize non-heartland dealers to do repairs as well. Since your selling dealer is much further away, that may be good reason to have it done at the non-HL place that's closer. Slides out of alignment seems to be the biggest problem -- maybe concentrate on that first. I would do everything possible not to cancel trips due to service being busy. Get the most urgent thing (slides) fixed and go on trips until after the holidays.

ksucats

When I spoke to dealer's lead service the other day we spoke about doing just that - however the two large openings in the slide seals kind of puts a damper on that. I'm concerned about how much muck will be thrown up in there. Even though I'd prefer not to tow in wet conditions (read snow/salted roads) the option not to do so may not exist. Still have to work. If all else fails (no parts until after the new year) I'm hoping that we can still get the coach back with the seals done so that we can use it. Thought about having nearest place work on it but they still say mid-December at the earliest. Even contacted New Horizon's in Junction City KS - worse result, late January or February. Their customers come first -- which I can understand.

brianlajoie

We had an issue with our slide catching the carpet and causing a few snags. Our independent rv tech was able to see large staples on the bottom of the slides sticking out. Once he removed then, the problem went away. We also had 3 door jams damaged by water (my fault) and we were able to get them replaced at the national rally. It took 15 minutes to do the whole thing. I was suprised at how easy it was to pop them in and out.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
What I see here or should I see reading here is that the common problem is not HEARTLAND but the DEALERSHIPS. Yes, a bad dealership can make ownership a night mare. Be patient all will work out and I agree that if we pay a lot we should have very little to worry about but sometimes CRAP HAPPENS.

ksucats

Well, we had an appointment to take the Key West into the dealer for warranty repairs this past Friday (Black Friday). The coach is still sitting in our driveway, currently buried under what I'd guess to be almost 1/2 inch of ice. Still 'enjoying' freezing rain this fine Thanksgiving weekend - dogs sure don't like it any having to slide out-doors to do their business but it has made it nice for the wife and I to be able to enjoy a day of rest before heading back to the grind.

Now I just have to get another day of leave scheduled, assuming that the dealer and I can get a mutually acceptable date, when we can get it in and hope that the dealer will find the time to get things repaired enough so that we can use it over the Christmas / New Years break. Oh well, the joys of late Fall weather in Kansas -- we did have a great Wednesday - all four seasons in that one day (started with Spring (45 degrees) at 5:30 am, then Summer (almost 70 just after noon), Fall (dropped to low 40s by 4 PM) and ultimately Winter (below freezing by 10 PM).)

deserthi

Wow, Thanks. I will start looking for something other than landmarks. I was so sold on them but this is unbelievable. I guess I will look at the Grand Design or DRV MOBILE SUITES fifth wheels. Thanks for the post.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Can't believe you just write off the Landmark based on a couple of bad repair issues. All the brands have this type of good/bad repair problems and delays. For every bad issue on the forum there are a hundred of no or small problem Landmarks on the road. By the way, DRV is owned by Heartland.

wehavefun

I would not look at one post or even 2 or 3 odd posts and make a decision. I had a Sundance, great luck, had a Bighorn for the past 5 years, not a single issue! Just picked up a 2016 Bighorn I will give a full run down of my shake down trip in a new post at the end of our week, but to date only issue was a bad Anderson valve for water, which I had next day aired to my house from Heartland , but to fair I do believe my dealer paid the shipping. That is the only issue I have found with my new unit and that was no fault of Heartland or my dealer and was resolved very quickly by me doing the 5 minutes of labor to change the part.

Brian

TxCowboy

Just to bring us back to the original thread topic, I wonder if KSUCats could bring us up to date with what has happened since he last posted to this thread...

:)

ksucats

The saga continues - but in a good way actually. Dealer snuck us in to adjust the entertainment/kitchen slide and check the bedroom slide. Still see some daylight behind the front edge of the slide but very small hole now. Really looks like the seal(s) will have to be replaced. As for the rest we now have an appointment to drop the coach off on the 21st of January.

We are currently in New Mexico and coach is performing fantastically. Temp down to 7 the last few nights and absolutely no problems problems with water. Did have a few minor items fall during the drive here - Colorado road from Limon to Colorado Springs definitely not the best, nor is I-25.