Bottled Water Feed

Majestic

With the residential fridge ice maker we decided to add a bottle water system.

The LM Monterey has a island sink and the ice system is fed from under the sink.

We capped off that line, we pulled a line from the under storage area were the 5 gallon bottle and pump are, installed a water tap at at the sink and fed the fridge.

We get bottled water at the water tap or off the fridge. For winterization we just blow out the water line from the storage area.

danemayer

When winterizing, I'd suggest you also use air to evacuate water from the water dispenser coil reservoir and internal lines in the frig, and also run 2 or 3 manual harvest cycles on the ice maker while the compressed air is hooked up. You should get around a quart out of the water dispenser and a little out of the ice maker. Doing so will protect the ice maker and water dispenser solenoids and internal water lines, along with the reservoir. Also, there'll be some water left in the water filter, after you're done, you should remove the filter.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gary, what a great idea! Aside form the 5 gallon bottle taking up a bit of extra space, it's a perfect way to get good water for both ice and drinking.

Majestic

Thanks Guys

When our unit arrived from the factory last month with the fridge water line still charged and frozen, that started the thoughts of winterizing properly, then developed the good water. When you see the black mold that developes in commercial ice machines you know you need clean water in the unit. We plan on putting a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in the 5 gallons to keep everything bacteria free. We use it in the well water on the farm instead of clorine. Better for you as well.

kseagle

We've just ordered a Landmark KL and were wondering how to deal with the fresh water issued for the ice maker. Any chance of seeing some pics of your mod?
Thanks

jbeletti

We've just ordered a Landmark KL and were wondering how to deal with the fresh water issued for the ice maker. Any chance of seeing some pics of your mod?
Thanks

David and Karen,

I know you're not asking me for pics, but thought I'd tell you what I did. The residential refer has a pretty substantial filter built into it. Not wanting to rely only on that with campground water, I installed a 2-stage water filtration setup behind the UDC. Kevin W and I took the city water feed from the back of the Anderson valve and fed the filters. I adde a T to the output of the second filter. One side of the T feeds the ice maker line. The other side of the T goes back to the Anderson valve to feed the rest of the coach.

porthole

Retired
When winterizing, I'd suggest you also use air to evacuate water from the water dispenser coil reservoir and internal lines in the frig, and also run 2 or 3 manual harvest cycles on the ice maker while the compressed air is hooked up. You should get around a quart out of the water dispenser and a little out of the ice maker. Doing so will protect the ice maker and water dispenser solenoids and internal water lines, along with the reservoir. Also, there'll be some water left in the water filter, after you're done, you should remove the filter.

Air works great, clean air from an "oil-less" compressor is a must, and on top of that, clean air, regulated to about 40-50 psi is an absolute.

jbeletti

....clean air, regulated to about 40-50 psi is an absolute.

+1 on that. Found out the hard way when I blew an atmospheric vacuum breaker apart when I wasn't being mindful of the pressure I was using. My home compressor stays on max pressure all the time. So it's easy to forget to dial it back when winterizing the RV.

Related to this discussion, in the soon to be published Heartland Owners Userguide for the Residential Refer, Dan has made it clear to dial back the air compressor pressure.