Cracked Leaf Spring!

Sniper

About a year ago I was walking back from my mail box and was looking at the back of my truck (2001 F350 Dually 2X4). It appeared to me that the right rear corner of the truck was little lower than the left. Soooo I measured it, and indeed it was 3/8 inch lower. I kinda blew it off as the bed mounts are rusting, and causing that corner of the bed to sag slightly, anyway we went about our summer travels including a 3500 mile trip out west hauling our Cyclone 3010 everywhere we went. Fast forward a year...

...Getting ready to head to the Smokys this month I decided to replace and upgrade ALL the brakes with drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. Replace all the wheel bearings, seals, and caliper slide hardware (no small task on a 2WD dually. The front hubs are 64lbs. each). Anyway, I get to the right rear and figure I would check out shoring up that corner of the bed while I'm in there, and inspect everything I can see. While wire brushing the Leaf Spring I discovered two of the leaf's were cracked! All the way to other side cracked! My heart sank to my stomach. I truly felt sick. I am sure if it had not been for having Timbren 7500lb helpers on there we would have lost that whole spring somewhere out west last year.

A full can of PB Blaster, 6 hours of rolling around on the ground with a 30 inch breaker bar, and a few choice words latter it was out. I'm sure I was quit the spectacle to behold. Got a new one coming, it will be here Monday (Thanks Rock Auto). Hope it goes on easier than it came out.

Another thing to remember to inspect on older TV's like mine. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure. Be safe out there everyone.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

OEFVET

Sounds like your good with tools. It also sounds like you already know this but I'll say it anyway. You should replace BOTH rear springs. After you install the new one on one side the other side will be a little lower due to the wear of the spring and arch. I know it's not a fun job.

Sniper

Affirmative on replacing both, but that will be an early Fall time job. I'm very fortunate that I have the ability to still do most repairs myself, even if it takes 4 times longer than it should. LOL Funny that this past Winter I had mentioned to my much better half, that I was thinking about replacing the springs with 7 leaf set in a couple of years. (as opposed to the 5 leaf set that is standard). Guess that's out the window for the few years now anyway.

Sniper

Thought I would let you all know that I went ahead and ordered the other leaf spring & bushings and replace it now as well before our trip out west next month instead of waiting until fall. The drilled & slotted rotors and ceramic pads were well worth the money and time to install them. Truck stops like never before. Brake fade is none existent.

Safe travels everyone.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Thought I would let you all know that I went ahead and ordered the other leaf spring & bushings and replace it now as well before our trip out west next month instead of waiting until fall. The drilled & slotted rotors and ceramic pads were well worth the money and time to install them. Truck stops like never before. Break fade is none existent.

Safe travels everyone.

U-bolts should be replaced as well. And hand tools when you tighten the u-bolts back up.

Sniper

Ok. Got both leaf springs and all the bushings replaced. The ol' truck is sitting nice and level. If I never have to do that kind of job again it will still be tooooo soon! :)

emm4273610re

U-bolts should be replaced as well. And hand tools when you tighten the u-bolts back up.

Not just replaced but torqued !! They do stretch and you'll be amazed how far you'll go till tight/torqued! Call a local spring shop or look online. To determine the size/torque used an open end wrench fastest way. Little more work but it'll be done correctly and if not torqued they will hold and will loosen, nobody wants a loose rear end going down the road lol

Sniper

Not just replaced but torqued !! They do stretch and you'll be amazed how far you'll go till tight/torqued! Call a local spring shop or look online. To determine the size/torque used an open end wrench fastest way. Little more work but it'll be done correctly and if not torqued they will hold and will loosen, nobody wants a loose rear end going down the road lol
185 FT/LBS according to the Ford Service Manual. I am fortunate to be both an ASE Certified, and a Ford Masters Certified Technician, but have diminished physical ability due to the onset of a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. Busting bolts loose and wrangling 84# springs on a 15 year 1 ton truck was a real challenge for me. 3 days to do a 4 hour job. Indeed nobody wants a loose rear end going down the road. lol
Safe traveling everyone. :)