DETERMINED: Rear Toilet and Tub Clog Simultaneously?

DallasFull-Timer

Hello all,

First time RVers, and for that matter, full-time RVers as well! It's our 3rd week in our 2016 Elkridge 38RSRT.

For some reason, maybe coincidentally (but I doubt it), our rear toilet and tub have both "filled up."

It's as if I haven't been emptying some sort of phantom rear tanks.

I've got one black tank valve and two gray water valves. When pulling the black tank valve, it only drains from the "front" sewer line, and so it seems as though the rear sewer pipe is only for draining the rear gray water. How this is all organized in the belly is beyond me.

Anyone have any idea as to why my rear bathroom is clogged at all sources except the sink? :confused:

Am I missing something here?

jimtoo

Re: Rear Toilet and Tub Clog Simultaneously?

Hi Dallas-Fulltimer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Since you have a rear bath and toilet I am petty sure you will have a separate tank for that room only and it all goes into one tank I think. Look near the rear on the side and you will most likely find another drain valve. Let us know what you find.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya I think you only have one rear tank to support the entire rear bathroom. Toilet and bath. As there in no way to get that rear toilet to drain into the higher front Black tank.

CoveredWagon

Hello all,

First time RVers, and for that matter, full-time RVers as well! It's our 3rd week in our 2016 Elkridge 38RSRT.

For some reason, maybe coincidentally (but I doubt it), our rear toilet and tub have both "filled up."

It's as if I haven't been emptying some sort of phantom rear tanks.

I've got one black tank valve and two gray water valves. When pulling the black tank valve, it only drains from the "front" sewer line, and so it seems as though the rear sewer pipe is only for draining the rear gray water. How this is all organized in the belly is beyond me.

Anyone have any idea as to why my rear bathroom is clogged at all sources except the sink? :confused:

Am I missing something here?

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Water Systems Guide V1.1.pdf

look at page 6

DallasFull-Timer

SUCCESS! So, after further investigation, I discovered that the rear black and gray valves are NOT on the pipes, they're both UP in the frame!
This was NOT covered during the post-purchase walk-around of the coach :mad:

20170401_215850.jpg

Now, in the following picture, the rear gray is circled up in the frame, but check out the in-line valve with the question mark. What is that?

20170401_214628.jpg

porthole

Retired

SUCCESS! So, after further investigation, I discovered that the rear black and gray valves are NOT on the pipes, they're both UP in the frame!

Now, in the following picture, the rear gray is circled up in the frame, but check out the in-line valve with the question mark. What is that?

20170401_214628.jpg

Did you buy this trailer new?

That circled valve looks like an add on.
Tank drain valves will always be like the Tee handle you found.

That inline valve (circled) may have been added because the tank drain valve is to hard to access.

OR, the valve connected to the TEE handle leaks.

DallasFull-Timer

Porthole:

Yep, we're the first owners. So until I found the rear tee handles, I had been pulling that inline tee handle thinking I was draining the rear gray water (it's indeed gray water as observed through a clear elbow). It has never been a large amount of gray that has drained when I've pulled it, perhaps a few gallons; nothing compared to like when I just drained the overflowing 60 gallon rear.

The Heartland specs published everywhere on this 38RSRT are wrong, might I add.
It lists one 80 gallon black tank and two gray tanks (120 gallons total).

My new presumption is that there are in fact TWO black tanks (40 each), for a TOTAL of the 80 gallons listed in the specs.

This is why I was so confused with my situation... even the dang manufacturer specs were telling me I had one black tank.

porthole

Retired

Porthole:

Yep, we're the first owners. So until I found the rear tee handles, I had been pulling that inline tee handle thinking I was draining the rear gray water (it's indeed gray water as observed through a clear elbow). It has never been a large amount of gray that has drained when I've pulled it, perhaps a few gallons; nothing compared to like when I just drained the overflowing 60 gallon rear.

The Heartland specs published everywhere on this 38RSRT are wrong, might I add.
It lists one 80 gallon black tank and two gray tanks (120 gallons total).

My new presumption is that there are in fact TWO black tanks (40 each), for a TOTAL of the 80 gallons listed in the specs.

This is why I was so confused with my situation... even the dang manufacturer specs were telling me I had one black tank.

Don't know your trailer, but the odds of you having a larger then 40 gallon (80 gallon) black tank are about zero.

Since you said you always got a little out of the rear pulling that knife valve, maybe a dealer did that pre delivery instead of going through the trouble of replacing the tank valve.

That Tee handle is connected to a cable that goes to another knife blade valve attached to the tank outlet.

Something like this

Typical holding tank This one happens to be 33 gallons

macjj

I have owned multiple trailers for over 30 years, but this is a first I heard of a Black/Grey combo tank. I know traps are designed to keep tank odors from the living spaces. Normally the Black pipe is larger (2 in) than the Grey (1-1.5 in). I do see two pipes coming from the rear (assumed), but the larger pipe from the front? Agreed the lower valve on the pipe may have been an add on because the upper one presents a challenge. But no valve on the second pipe, and no valve on the collector is puzzling. However there may be hidden valves that are not shown. Visually this is puzzling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DallasFull-Timer

Once the weather clears up tomorrow, I'm gonna get several photos after work of the entire visible system in the daylight so you guys can really get the whole picture of this 38RSRT plumbing setup. Maybe it'll give y'all a better understanding of what the inline valve's purpose may be. I don't think many folks own this coach yet. The rear full bath/bedroom with entertainment system is what sold us, since we've got 2 boys and a third (gender surprise) on the way.

I'm just so relieved that I found the second set of tee handles and got my rear tub and toilet cleared!

It's one of those "Well, now you know!" moments. Hopefully this thread will help future owners.

porthole

Retired
I have owned multiple trailers for over 30 years, but this is a first I heard of a Black/Grey combo tank.

All the toy haulers with a rear half-full bath use one tank for the toilet and sink-shower.
Some of the bath and a half conventional trailers do as well.

What 'stinks' is the use of 1.5" pipe instead of 3" for any combo use tank.
If the OP's rear tank is sink - shower only, not a big deal.

richheck

Seasoned Member
After reviewing your floor plan I'm believing you have the 120 gray and 80 black tanks being you have two full baths and two kitchen sinks one outside and one inside). I have seen rvs with the gray and black going into a single black tank but those were only 1/2 baths (no bath/shower).

What confuses me is seeing only one 3 in pipe, most systems use the 3in for the black and either 1 1/2 or 2 in for the gray.I

feel there has to be an additional "T" handle for the rear gray and or black. Being those tanks are inclosed in the frame area.

How many "black tank" flush connections do you have? Usually one per black tank.

DallasFull-Timer

After reviewing your floor plan I'm believing you have the 120 gray and 80 black tanks being you have two full baths and two kitchen sinks one outside and one inside). I have seen rvs with the gray and black going into a single black tank but those were only 1/2 baths (no bath/shower).

What confuses me is seeing only one 3 in pipe, most systems use the 3in for the black and either 1 1/2 or 2 in for the gray.I

feel there has to be an additional "T" handle for the rear gray and or black. Being those tanks are inclosed in the frame area.

How many "black tank" flush connections do you have? Usually one per black tank.

Here, I'll throw you a curve ball. Our outdoor kitchen? Yeah.. no sink. Only a fridge, cabinetry, and TV hookups. It's a flat "prep" surface where the sink goes.

As for the T handle setup, here are my findings:

Inside UDC: Front black and Front gray (both drain through front sewer hose)
Frame mount: Rear black and Rear gray (both drain through rear hose)

There is a black tank flush inside the UDC, and also one on the exterior rear of the coach.
The only mystery remaining is that in-line T handle, which is actually mounted IN BETWEEN the front sewer outlet and rear sewer outlet, if that helps anyone.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Here, I'll throw you a curve ball. Our outdoor kitchen? Yeah.. no sink. Only a fridge, cabinetry, and TV hookups. It's a flat "prep" surface where the sink goes.

As for the T handle setup, here are my findings:

Inside UDC: Front black and Front gray (both drain through front sewer hose)
Frame mount: Rear black and Rear gray (both drain through rear hose)

There is a black tank flush inside the UDC, and also one on the exterior rear of the coach.
The only mystery remaining is that in-line T handle, which is actually mounted IN BETWEEN the front sewer outlet and rear sewer outlet, if that helps anyone.

OK, i was confused by the picture in the brochure showing the outside sink. Well we definitely know you have two black tanks being you have two flush fittings.

You just stated you have two sewer outlets (I assume three inch), I didn't catch that before.

How many tank gauges do you have?

Yes the circled inline valve confuses me also. Usually coaches with heated underbellies have all valves in the heated area to protect the lower lines from freezing.

Another way to verify tanks is to fill while measuring input watching your gauges, either use an inline water meter or the old method of count 5 gallon buckets. Trying this from various filling locations will give you the info as to where each goes.

DallasFull-Timer

OK, i was confused by the picture in the brochure showing the outside sink. Well we definitely know you have two black tanks being you have two flush fittings.

You just stated you have two sewer outlets (I assume three inch), I didn't catch that before.

How many tank gauges do you have?

Yes the circled inline valve confuses me also. Usually coaches with heated underbellies have all valves in the heated area to protect the lower lines from freezing.

Another way to verify tanks is to fill while measuring input watching your gauges, either use an inline water meter or the old method of count 5 gallon buckets. Trying this from various filling locations will give you the info as to where each goes.

I've got two gauge setups. One fancy one inside a cabinet in the living room with all the lighting, slide, and awning controls, and then a basic one on the wall in the rear bathroom that simply has two buttons, one for Black Tank and one for Gray Tank (LED level indicators).

richheck

Seasoned Member
I've got two gauge setups. One fancy one inside a cabinet in the living room with all the lighting, slide, and awning controls, and then a basic one on the wall in the rear bathroom that simply has two buttons, one for Black Tank and one for Gray Tank (LED level indicators).

Well by going by the brochure listing your gray at 120 you should have three grays at 40 each, one for front bath, one for kitchen and one for rear bath. Being you don't have an outside sink there is a chance they didn't give you the third gray and plumbed the kitchen into one of the bath grays.

like I already mentioned you will have to test each sink to see where it drains to,but by your report on the gauges I am guessing you only have two grays.

Test fill from each sink measuring how much water is placed in each sink, one at a time testing how much each tank has for capacity.

Relayman

maybe the mystery valve is there to prevent back flow into the 1 1/2 " rear plumbing when draining the front tanks ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DallasFull-Timer

Well by going by the brochure listing your gray at 120 you should have three grays at 40 each, one for front bath, one for kitchen and one for rear bath. Being you don't have an outside sink there is a chance they didn't give you the third gray and plumbed the kitchen into one of the bath grays.

like I already mentioned you will have to test each sink to see where it drains to,but by your report on the gauges I am guessing you only have two grays.

Test fill from each sink measuring how much water is placed in each sink, one at a time testing how much each tank has for capacity.

Thanks for your research and input richheck. Indications are that I have 3 grays, I do believe:
*Clickable for larger versions*
20170402_191215.jpg20170402_191240.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

maybe the mystery valve is there to prevent back flow into the 1 1/2 " rear plumbing when draining the front tanks ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That would make sense!

richheck

Seasoned Member
Thanks for your research and input richheck. Indications are that I have 3 grays, I do believe:
*Clickable for larger versions*
View attachment 50722View attachment 50723

- - - Updated - - -

That would make sense!

Thanks for for the pictures, yes you do have three gray tanks by the gauges. Now the question as to where are the drain valves for each. By looking at the picture you posted of the valves it looks like the picture with the 3 in line is coming from the back bath area while the two grays are emptying into the same outlet, shoot a picture of the other 3 in outlet and note its location for us.

Shouldn't need a valve to stop back flow if the unknown valve is in the heated area.

DallasFull-Timer

richheck, here you go:

UDC with front tank Tee handles
UDC.jpg

Forward plumbing (Drains from UDC Tee handles)
Front.jpg

Aft plumbing with all Tee handles labeled (EDIT: I labeled them backwards; far rear is black, far front is gray)
RearCaptions.jpg