DETERMINED: Water leaking from underbelly

MP_CS

A note on you're grey water valve, i had the exact same problem with mine three times, what was happening was the cable sheath was pulling out from between the plastic valve halves and not allowing the valve to operate fully... Dealership fixed once i fixed twice, finally it haappend again so i replace entire assembly valve and all. Heartland sent me all parts to fix myself no questions asked...

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This says Determined !!!
What was it ??? I don't see where it says where he found the leak at ?
Did I miss something ?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brireey1600

It is leaking in the middle wear the waste line comes thru the underbelly. I pulled some of the styrofoam insulation away to get the water out. My waste line comes thru in the drop frame area

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It is leaking in the middle wear the waste line comes thru the underbelly. I pulled some of the styrofoam insulation away to get the water out. My waste line comes thru in the drop frame area

So far from what I've read it sounds to me like it's your black tank flush line leaking. Is that what your thinking it is too? On my Landmark I can access 98% of that line from behind my basement wall. I don't imagine your going to get that lucky and be able to see it all from back there on yours.
Mine has blue Pex from the back of the docking station over and up into the check valve by the shower, then a red Pex line coming back down to an elbow then the white rubber hose goes from there all the way to the top/side of the black tank on the curb side of the coach. It has a hand tightened 1/2" fitting on the ether end of that white hose that connects it to the tank. pretty simple "if you can see it" !!! I'm thinking you can check everything from the docking station to the white hose from behind your basement wall. Then if you can't see where it connects to the curb side of the black tank you could cut a 6" round hole in the belly right below the fitting to reach up in there.
903b091fd7f81bcb6c4c3444f87a2c05.jpg
fe755031a92b47160cc2537358afa099.jpg

af31c308364d29ffcd697e780c5bd72b.jpg

Last edited:

Brireey1600

Yes it definetly is leaking from the black tank back flush somewhere. I need to get time to work on it. We are in Zion with friends visiting. We will be staying here another week after they leave and will put some time in to get this thing fixed. I need to take the basement wall back down and have another look behind it. First time everything was dry back there so I put the wall back. I also looked at the vacuum breaker behind shower. Saw it but getting at it to change it is another story. It's tough to be retired and not have time to take care of these things. Wonder how I ever had time to work. Enjoying full timing though

sengli

Re: Water leaking from underbelly

Like a lot of other people here, I have had two major leaks associated with the black tank flush vacuum breaker(behind the shower). I eliminated it all together with the extra pex runs it was attached to. I installed a brass valve on the line just behind the UDC wall. I now turn the flush water on and and off as needed manually....there is no more worries about the vacuum breaker leaking.

So now this line goes from the black tank flush fitting on the UDC wall, directly to the black tank. The inline valve controls the flow.

Attachments

• blacktank.jpg
    blacktank.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

danemayer

Like a lot of other people here, I have had two major leaks associated with the black tank flush vacuum breaker(behind the shower). I eliminated it all together with the extra pex runs it was attached to. I installed a brass valve on the line just behind the UDC wall. I now turn the flush water on and and off as needed manually....there is no more worries about the vacuum breaker leaking.

The purpose of the vacuum breaker is to prevent contamination of the water supply. If you've eliminated the breaker, you should probably install a check valve in the line going to the black tank.

Carleen

I had an issue with the black tank flush vacuum breaker in mine. I little pebble was caught between the flap causing it to not close all the way when flushing. Looking at the other pictures of the same valve, it looks like it has a fancy little square cap on the top. Maybe mine blew off in all the fury as a water volcano was going off behind the shower? If that is the case, does anyone think the nice little square cap is necessary? I felt around and it doesn't seem like anything would interfere with the valve movement.

Opinions? Easy to replace, but not sure if necessary.
Flush Vacuum Valve.jpgVacuum valve.jpg

jbeletti

I had an issue with the black tank flush vacuum breaker in mine. I little pebble was caught between the flap causing it to not close all the way when flushing. Looking at the other pictures of the same valve, it looks like it has a fancy little square cap on the top. Maybe mine blew off in all the fury as a water volcano was going off behind the shower? If that is the case, does anyone think the nice little square cap is necessary? I felt around and it doesn't seem like anything would interfere with the valve movement.

Opinions? Easy to replace, but not sure if necessary.

Carleen - if you were to reinstall the vacuum breaker, I suggest you install a new one with all parts intact. Here the same item on Amazon for $45.

Carleen

Thanks- I can't believe they wan't $45 for it! I'm starting to wonder if I can reach down there and find the cap...LOL Not to complain about the price, but I have spent a ton on the trailer so far this week repairing little things like that. First up is the bedroom AC because it is not working at all.

I did re-install and test it after finding the pebble and it worked properly with no water leaking. I will need to replace it after this trip since we are hitting the road in a couple days.

jbeletti

Thanks- I can't believe they wan't $45 for it! I'm starting to wonder if I can reach down there and find the cap...LOL Not to complain about the price, but I have spent a ton on the trailer so far this week repairing little things like that. First up is the bedroom AC because it is not working at all.

I did re-install and test it after finding the pebble and it worked properly with no water leaking. I will need to replace it after this trip since we are hitting the road in a couple days.

If you replace it, keep the old one as a temporary repair part. Note that some have removed the vacuum breaker and have installed check valve where the water hose connects or behind the UDC. Heartland installs the atmospheric vacuum breaker to comply with RVIA code, as I understand it.

rxbristol

A much better valve is the Watts L288, Link. Yes, you will need some fittings, but it won't leak on you. Even a new plastic one will start leaking after a time.

Carleen

A much better valve is the Watts L288, Link. Yes, you will need some fittings, but it won't leak on you. Even a new plastic one will start leaking after a time.

Now that is something I would spend money on. It looks like it is built to last and not leak. Thanks for the link!

I had water leaking from underbelly of my 2013 Landmark 5th wheel. I was filling with city water turned up high, and by the time I noticed water coming out the overflow, it was coming out everywhere else! Did I screw something up?

danemayer

I had water leaking from underbelly of my 2013 Landmark 5th wheel. I was filling with city water turned up high, and by the time I noticed water coming out the overflow, it was coming out everywhere else! Did I screw something up?
When the fresh tank is full, water should come out of overflows on each side of the coach. If you didn't see water coming out on both sides, one of your overflows might be emptying into the underbelly. You may have soaked the insulation and if so will need to remove/replace it.