Diesel Generator

HornedToad

One of the vendor's reps that calls on my wife sent photo's of his brand new Cyclone 4200 that he bought this weekend from Explore USA. He went out to the races with us when we had a Torque, and that's what he went to look at to trade in his Open Range 5'er so he could haul his & her Harleys. I guess he decided to go large.

I haven't seen it yet... but he said it has an Onan Diesel Generator???

It seems to me there could be several practical advantages to having your TV & generator burning the same fuel.

MTPockets

They do have an RV diesel generator. Twice the price, $8,500, 8000 watts, 420 lbs vs 288 for the Onan 5500. And, a few inches longer, wider, and about 6 inches taller. Diesel is nice. We had one on our boat due to safety advantage of diesel vs gas.

IronJ

Would probably be able to run all 3 a/c that way too..if so equipped...

I've never seen thay as an option , but could be dealer installed. ..

Seems to me I recall the diesel onan being a lot louder on my in laws motor home. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

MTPockets

They do have an RV diesel generator. Twice the price, $8,500, 8000 watts, 420 lbs vs 288 for the Onan 5500. And, a few inches longer, wider, and about 6 inches taller. Diesel is nice. We had one on our boat due to safety advantage of diesel vs gas.
Actually, Onan does have a 6000 watt Diesel.. The diesel spec shows it is a tad lower decibel rating than the 5500 gas. 60 diesel vs 69 decibels gas.

IronJ

60 to 69 is a HUGE difference. ..that's like the diff between a honda inverter and an open frame

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

HornedToad

It seems to me there could be several practical advantages to having your TV & generator burning the same fuel.

He said it has the 6000 watt Onan Diesel Generator. Might get to check it out at the first tailgate next week?

A paradox realized about my comment above... With dual tanks, gas in the pump tank for the Harleys and diesel in the 30 gallon generator tank, a 1/2 gallon a hour burn rate would limit your generator run time to around 60 hours. Barely enough to get through a 3 day weekend without any back up.

Now with a 100 gallon transfer tank on your diesel TV you could boon-dock over a week!!!

jbeletti

I'm thinking this was a dealer added item as Heartland does not install diesel gens. Wonder where he put the diesel fuel cell and filler?

porthole

Retired
I looked at the new Onan diesel - inverter generator last year at Hershey.
It was on a display stand that allowed it to run. Very quiet for what it is.

Would be my choice for a genny in the future. Decent size onboard fuel cell and a valve-hose arrangement to allow running off the TV would be my preference.

HornedToad

I went and checked out the new Cyclone 4200 at lunch today... it was impressive!!!

It has a factory installed Onan 5500 gas generator.
When he bought the unit last week the conversation went like this...
Salesman "It has a Cummins generator"
Jack "A Cummins diesel generator?" (That's all they run in the oilfield)
Salesman "Yes"
So either the Salesman didn't know or just told him what he wanted to hear.
PS He also told him it would run EVERYTHING in the trailer... like all 3 AC'S???

But this thread brings up an interesting option...
installing a diesel generator that is quieter and can be re supplied from a diesel TV transfer tank.