Disappointed new owner

buck0428

Joe and Sherry, I read that you're in San Diego. If you're in south county you may want to stop in to South Bay RV. I have had maintenance done, and most recently, a hydraulic mod done on my '09 Big Country. Very reasonable pricing and extremely personable owner. We bought our coach new and haven't had any of the nightmares you've had. I hope you get them resolved and really get a chance to enjoy your rig worry-free. I hope this helps.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
After spending an obscene amount of time in the basement (again)putting my hands on every single fitting I could reach (again) and feeling/looking for more water leaks, I've eliminated all but the original section of leaky hot water piping.
Everything else is tight and dry.
I've got a repair plan and a shopping list for a couple of new "tees" and a few compression fittings.
One question, the guys at a local RV parts store are pretty insistent that I should replace all the soft piping (hose) with hard piping on the hot water side. They're pretty adamant the hose can't stand the pressure or the heat and is sure to burst. This stuff is all over the place behind the HW heater, looks reinforced and is rated at 150 PSI.
I don't see an issue.
Any input?

What a joke...rest assured PEX is used in the housing industry...we've used it extensively in our own homes. It can take the heat and pressure as long as the fittings are installed properly. Make sure you use a pressure regulator and that all the threaded fittings are tight and you will have no more issues....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know about the bursting plumbing and all of it needing repair/replacement. The only leak I had was a minor drip I found while dewinterizing a while back. I was using the water pump in winterize mode to run fresh water from a jerry can through the plumbing after air blasting the antifreeze out (at 40 psi). The repair looks extensive, but it's only because it was my first PEX repair and didn't know better. The replaced fittings and piping are to either side of the red line at the brass tee.
View attachment 23159

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One question, the guys at a local RV parts store are pretty insistent that I should replace all the soft piping (hose) with hard piping on the hot water side. They're pretty adamant the hose can't stand the pressure or the heat and is sure to burst. This stuff is all over the place behind the HW heater, looks reinforced and is rated at 150 PSI.
I don't see an issue.
Any input?
I don't think the braided hose will be an issue as long as the fittings and connections are properly cinched. Our system doesn't have any "braided Hose" off of the water heater so Heartland must have changed the plumbing in some models.
That said, if you're not comfortable with the braided hose, you could always change it over to Pex and end the concern.

dave10a

Fortunately I have not had any plumbing issues other than the water pump was replaced under warranty. After a year of ownership, I think I finally got all the other bugs worked out either by repair or re-engineered. Heartland's QC is lacking IMHO. Heartland's layout of the wiring and plumbing is something that my 5 year old grand son would do. It does not seem to me something that should be done in any mobile RV because of travel vibration. My son who is a plumber tells me the PEX technology that is use in my trailer is not modern and he would never use crimp PEX in any home he plumbs, but uses modern technology that shrinks to the fittings. Also the new PEX technology survives freezing. From what I have seen in the RV industry Heartland is the same as the others. I have not seen any RV manufacturers use the modern PEX technology. Oh course engineering in the RV industry seems like follow each other rather than independent innovative engineering.

HOOKERUP

Try using Shark Bites .Big box stores carry them.My house was built 2007,all plumbing is per.Never had a problem with leaks.

It's done. Put on some compression fittings, slapped it all back in place, turned on the water and no frikkin leaks!! I'm a happy boy in love with my camper again.
It wasn't a big repair, I made it more difficult than it needed to be.

Thanks all for your inputs.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Great! You should be good to go....six years of fulltiming and 80,000 miles on our previous Bighorn and not ONE leak on our PEX plumbing with crimped fittings... not one!

soilmovers

After multiple leaks in the basement of our 2012 3685, I had all the braided hose replaced- all the visible lines. The clamps were slipping off the hose, etc. We tried tightening them down with no luck.
The cause is not pressure related. We are using the holding tank and pump. go figure.

Stevo

My rig developed a drip in the basement. Under warrenty still, the Heartland OK'd replacement of all sub-standard tubing and fittings. I am not alone with this replacement upgrade as I know in this area are two more units with the same leakage. Something is not right!

tcfake613

My 2012 3685 has the same issues. Multiple leaks exist behind the dock center. I've tried tightening them all, some successful, most not. The issue is that the braided tubing ID does not equate with the OD of the connectors. No matter how hard you tighten the clamps, some will just not seal. My dad went thru this with his 3055 over the last 2 1/2 years and got tired of messing with the clamps. He had everything behind the dock replumbed at his cost. I've owned mine for a year and reported this issue before warranty expired in January. Heartland (with their good customer service) has agreed to take care of replacing my plumbing behind the dock center. I will have this done when I get the rig out of storage later this month.

While I appreciate the fact they are replacing the plumbing, it still should've never been assembled this way.

Last edited:

FrankMHS

Tomorrow morning we are taking our 2012 Landmark Mesa into dealer for water leak repair. We have been dealing with this major problem since we purchased it in July of 2012. The entire underbelly is saturated. Every line leaks and all fittings need replaced. First noticed water leaking under the sink in bath area then under the sink in the kitchen and then the water was dripping under the coach. The insulation is soaked from front to back. The basement has about 1 to 2 inches of water. Everything stored is covered with mold.
Heartland has agreed to make all the necessary repairs but I am so unhappy and presently regret the purchase. I am very concerned with the possibility of mold growing in the undercarriage. We are full timers and have been very sad that this has happened.
Will update after the repair work!
Frank and Debbie

beuranb

I have a 2012 Key Largo. Love the coach, but have problem after problem. The plumbing has been a major one. Finally had a guy take the water pump out and run water direct. Hyd. jacks leaking (3 of 4), stereo/DVD not working, Vac. cleaner stop working. In the shop now, hopefully getting taken care of. I spent a thousand out of pocket for converter and awning motor and plumbing patches. Not very happy at this time.

tmcran

I had responded to another thread a few months ago about having visited with a former RV tech of many years. He had recently retried. As soon as I told him I had a Heartland RV , the first words out of his mouth was" oh you have an RV from the company that leaks."

Spoke too soon. Made some repairs in February using compression fittings. Left water on for 5 days and not a drop to be seen or felt. Felt good about repair and closed it all up.

Took trailer out this weekend, half hour later the basement was wet again! My repair was good, I'm unable to find source of new leak. Everything I touched/tightened in February is still sound. Why Heartland?

This just ain't right. My expectations are as low as they can be just so I don't get disappointed again.

Last edited by a moderator:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
birdistheword,

I know you took it into the repair shop for this problem once before, but have you taken it back again? Heartland has great customer service and warranty program to keep their owners happy. I am sure it is frustrating beyond belief, but if you don't give Heartland the opportunity to make it right, they can't. They make a great product and they stand behind their products. I hope that you get the water leaks fixed and can go back to enjoying your Big Country.

Rod Ditrich

I'm taking it in tomorrow to the dealer for the water leaks and some other warranty items. I'll have to be insistent when I pick it back up that they have water hooked up and turned on so I can see for myself all the leaks are fixed (using the term loosely, my expectations are not very high).
It will be there awhile. Had an unseen kitchen drawer open up and get caught behind the kitchen slide. Destroyed the drawer and the facia on the side of and below the oven. This no be cheap.

jayandhisgals

I agree! They should never leave the factory this way. We are now having water issues with our Cyclone. Totally regret the purchase.

funntheson

Birdistheword, do you use a 90 degree elbow where you connect your fresh water hose? When I first had my rig, we had a few floods in the basement, and nobody could figure out why. When I started using the 90, it seemed to take a lot of "pull" off the connection, and I haven't had a leak since.

I too have experienced water leaks from my 2013 Bighorn. Heartland advertised the plumbing system to be produced by Pex Plumbing and "assured" me of leak free plumbing in their marketing pieces. Heartland also stated that the unit is tested and retested and even gave specifics about the amount of pressure used to test the plumbing system. So why so many water leaks in their units? Are they really being tested? Is there a recall on these fittings or any other plumbing parts. Does Heartland have a central location for us to give them plumbing issue complaints to see if a recall needs to take place? Isn't Heartland RVIA certified as the sticker outside my coach states? Is the RVIA the place we are supposed to contact?

My unit had undisclosed exterior damage to the body prior to my delivery. I had to pay a week in advance before picking up from Explore USA in Texas. When I arrived for the delivery and my walk-thru, I discovered that the unit had been painted with sub par paint work (orange peel, crackling, pit marks, gray fog, discoloration, tape marks and paint overspray on my window and back cap). When I complained I ws told that I owned it. You people might want to check on your units to see if you too have damage to your exterior paint. I have an email from Explore's service manager that they had another one damaged like mine sent from the factory and I learned they sold it too! I was forced to take the unit home since it was paid. I have been trying to get things settled since day one of delivery.

My unit has over 37 line items of damage! This includes a roof with a soft spot. You might want to walk your roofs and look at the top of your slide outs. I didn't until I had to move it.

My unit had water leaks and plumbing back up since day one. I reported leaks daily and a mobile tech was sent to my unit 3 times unable to resolve the problem. He did like the rest of you and tightened up plumbing. Then 3 weeks later, I was awaken to the smell of something getting hot at 3:30 in the morning. This was followed by something hitting my unit sounding like a hard rain or a high pressure hose spraying my unit. My husband and I soon learned that I had water flooding my kitchen from the basement area. I ran down my furnace vents. I immediately got my cell phone and recorded everything as it happened. My unit was flooded. My RV concrete pad was flooded. The RV park street was flooded. One neighbor heading out to work even asked if it rained the night before because of all the water in the street.

I again contacted Jim Fenner and Sean Andrews at Heartland and told them I had undisclosed damage, excessive damage, safety issues and my unit never had a completed PDI from the technician all prior to me ever taking physical possession of it and it being paid for a week ahead of time. I was told it was under warranty and I would have to let the repair it the way they wanted.

By the way, have any of you had problems with your "marine grade" OSB coming apart. I have. I soon learned that the advertised marine grade OSB doesn't exist. Don't take my word for it. Send in a letter to the posted manufacturers provided by Heartland originally. Ainsworth and Weyerhauser to be exact. Also check with the American Plywood Association and ask them about the existence of marine grade OSB. It doesn't exist.

My propane tanks were completely empty of propane in 3 weeks! I was told by Explore USA to not refill my tanks because it was a safety issue.

We had purchase the unit for us to live in fulltime while my husband got job training 16 hours from our home in Florida. I told Heartland and Explore USA that if the matter did not get resolved, I would be on the street. I then had to go and lock into a years lease to rent a home and go back to Florida to get my furniture to go in the rental.

My unit was such a beautiful unit and I loved all the promises that were made to me in the beginning. I actually thought I would like to sell the units in the beginning. I am now sorry I have ever bought the unit. It has set me back between the move, unit and rental, etc. over $118,000.00 and the costs still grow daily.

I will try and start my own website so I can post my videos and photos online for others to see. Thank you all for posting your comments because it means a lot to others who are suffering as well.

Thanks,

Libby