Disappointed new owner

JonV

Joe and Sherry
We're experiencing the same problem right now. I can certainly understand that you'd get emotional about it.

We're full-timing so the only tools available are what we carry. The problem we're having, as others have said too, is the oversize hose.

Many, MANY thanks to the service manager at Camping World in Orlando for making room for us tomorrow.

I somehow feel better knowing I'm not alone. Hopefully Heartland has changed things. Nothing worse than water where it's not supposed to be.

fcwatson

Hi Libby:

What is your website?

- Fred

I too have experienced water leaks from my 2013 Bighorn. Heartland advertised the plumbing system to be produced by Pex Plumbing and "assured" me of leak free plumbing in their marketing pieces. Heartland also stated that the unit is tested and retested and even gave specifics about the amount of pressure used to test the plumbing system. So why so many water leaks in their units? Are they really being tested? Is there a recall on these fittings or any other plumbing parts. Does Heartland have a central location for us to give them plumbing issue complaints to see if a recall needs to take place? Isn't Heartland RVIA certified as the sticker outside my coach states? Is the RVIA the place we are supposed to contact?

My unit had undisclosed exterior damage to the body prior to my delivery. I had to pay a week in advance before picking up from Explore USA in Texas. When I arrived for the delivery and my walk-thru, I discovered that the unit had been painted with sub par paint work (orange peel, crackling, pit marks, gray fog, discoloration, tape marks and paint overspray on my window and back cap). When I complained I ws told that I owned it. You people might want to check on your units to see if you too have damage to your exterior paint. I have an email from Explore's service manager that they had another one damaged like mine sent from the factory and I learned they sold it too! I was forced to take the unit home since it was paid. I have been trying to get things settled since day one of delivery.

My unit has over 37 line items of damage! This includes a roof with a soft spot. You might want to walk your roofs and look at the top of your slide outs. I didn't until I had to move it.

My unit had water leaks and plumbing back up since day one. I reported leaks daily and a mobile tech was sent to my unit 3 times unable to resolve the problem. He did like the rest of you and tightened up plumbing. Then 3 weeks later, I was awaken to the smell of something getting hot at 3:30 in the morning. This was followed by something hitting my unit sounding like a hard rain or a high pressure hose spraying my unit. My husband and I soon learned that I had water flooding my kitchen from the basement area. I ran down my furnace vents. I immediately got my cell phone and recorded everything as it happened. My unit was flooded. My RV concrete pad was flooded. The RV park street was flooded. One neighbor heading out to work even asked if it rained the night before because of all the water in the street.

I again contacted Jim Fenner and Sean Andrews at Heartland and told them I had undisclosed damage, excessive damage, safety issues and my unit never had a completed PDI from the technician all prior to me ever taking physical possession of it and it being paid for a week ahead of time. I was told it was under warranty and I would have to let the repair it the way they wanted.

By the way, have any of you had problems with your "marine grade" OSB coming apart. I have. I soon learned that the advertised marine grade OSB doesn't exist. Don't take my word for it. Send in a letter to the posted manufacturers provided by Heartland originally. Ainsworth and Weyerhauser to be exact. Also check with the American Plywood Association and ask them about the existence of marine grade OSB. It doesn't exist.

My propane tanks were completely empty of propane in 3 weeks! I was told by Explore USA to not refill my tanks because it was a safety issue.

We had purchase the unit for us to live in fulltime while my husband got job training 16 hours from our home in Florida. I told Heartland and Explore USA that if the matter did not get resolved, I would be on the street. I then had to go and lock into a years lease to rent a home and go back to Florida to get my furniture to go in the rental.

My unit was such a beautiful unit and I loved all the promises that were made to me in the beginning. I actually thought I would like to sell the units in the beginning. I am now sorry I have ever bought the unit. It has set me back between the move, unit and rental, etc. over $118,000.00 and the costs still grow daily.

I will try and start my own website so I can post my videos and photos online for others to see. Thank you all for posting your comments because it means a lot to others who are suffering as well.

Thanks,

Libby

Hayseed

I have been reading threads and in almost every one, that a customer is having a problem, there is some one stating the same old story, "put wheels on your house and go down the road and see what breaks".

Well a camper is not a house. It is meant to be pulled down the road or they wouldn't have put wheels on it! I have had my non Heartland camper for 3 years and have put a lot of miles on it. 4 trips from WV to Daytona alone, fully loaded with bikes in the back, should be sufficient to shake out some problems. Let alone all the trips to the southern part of WV for atv riding that have roads riddled with holes from coal trucks and some are even gravel. The only issues I have is that I have to reseal the exterior after every trip. Never a water line problem, drawers popping open, etc.

Sounds like the company needs to get the QC up to the customer's current expectations.

Oh, by the way, my house did come with wheels on it. It had a 750 mile ride to it's current location, and I have been living there for 23 years and have not had a water line leak or a roof leak to date, so I am putting these problems back on Heartland's QC.

I am available for consultation if you need me, I retired as a QC manager at my previous job!

MTPockets

We full time and have travelled ftom FL to AZ to UT To IN and back to FL twice in this rig and are about to start our third in a couple weeks. We had water leaks when new, but after tightening myself and checking on occasion, have had no more. I also check for proper torque my wheel lug nuts, Axle U-Bolts, Pin Box Bolts, and walk around with a Phillips screwdriver checking exterior screws, cabinet hinges, and anything else I can visually check. Actually, the same kinds of things I did when we owned a house, and also on my truck. PM what I can and we've had zero issues in 2 1/2 years. (Except I wish Heartland had supplied a stronger roof ladder - but even that I made better) Seems like once the initial fastener securing is done, things go better.

ADIRKS30

We to, have had numerous water leaks, it is very obvious the QC is lacking, the fittings that were loose on mine have never came loose again after I tightened them so explain to me again that its because I pull my 5th wheel down the road???????????

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have had a total of five water related problems in 5 years. First was the shower stall surround. Fixed it myself before it became a problem after reading about it. Second was a tiny drip from a PEX fitting, found while dewinterizing. Again, DIY repair. Next was the kitchen sink support issue. Again, DIY after seeing it here. Biggest one was from the washer. My fault for taking a shortcut during winterizing, but still a DIY. Most recent is the swelling at the bottoms of the cargo doors. Most likely due to the deterioration of the caulking around the perimeter of the metal frame around them and rain/melt water getting inside. So I'll fix them up best I can and probably get them replaced at the 2015 Goshen Rally.

But, just like our house, I am always checking for problems before they become castastrosphic. For $235K (1994 dollars), I would have expected less problems than we've had.

donr827

We to, have had numerous water leaks, it is very obvious the QC is lacking, the fittings that were loose on mine have never came loose again after I tightened them so explain to me again that its because I pull my 5th wheel down the road???????????
When my dealer did the PDI on my trailer he said that he tightened all the pex fittings by hand and found that a few were a little loose. I check mine in the UDC before each trip. I also put one of those small water detectors that are battery operated in the UDC, under sinks, water heater, and toilet area.Don

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
When my dealer did the PDI on my trailer he said that he tightened all the pex fittings by hand and found that a few were a little loose. I check mine in the UDC before each trip. I also put one of those small water detectors that are battery operated in the UDC, under sinks, water heater, and toilet area.Don

Your dealer says he tightened all the PEX fittings by hand during the PDI?>= Impossible!. Pex Is a GO or NO type connection

danemayer

Your dealer says he tightened all the PEX fittings by hand during the PDI?>= Impossible!. Pex Is a GO or NO type connection
The dealer may have been talking about the part of the fitting that screws onto the device to which it's attached, rather than the part that is crimped to the PEX line.

donr827

He was referring to the fitting where it screws onto the connections in the UDC, water faucets, etc. Hope this helps you understand the previous post.Don