Discussion thread for RV SnapPads

GETnBYE

from looking at pictures on the website, it looks like the snap pad has a hole in the bottom. I did not see them from the video, I may have missed it.

I'm wondering if the level up feet shouldn't also have drainage holes in them to allow the water to go down to the snap pad drain hole. Even without the snappads perhaps the jack feet should have these drains which could have the coating sprayed on them during production.

I know some will say they will just clog up, but you can brush a bit of dirt and gravel off as with normal maintenance of any part of an rv.

now, my question is: will it weaken the jack foot/pad if the drains were drilled into them? This may be a question for the level up maker.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That's been my concern with drilling a hole in the pad it self. Also the hole in the SnapPad is right at the bend of the cone on the pad. I might try it on one and see how it goes.

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

RV_SnapPad_Support

Great point Wayne (& or Anita)! We were surprised to find out they didn't have any drainage holes either, as the metal foot has a small lip around the edge. The water would most likely drain out of the bottom of the SnapPad if that were the case. That being said we could never recommend altering another companies product. We're working on solutions on our end.
from looking at pictures on the website, it looks like the snap pad has a hole in the bottom. I did not see them from the video, I may have missed it.

I'm wondering if the level up feet shouldn't also have drainage holes in them to allow the water to go down to the snap pad drain hole. Even without the snappads perhaps the jack feet should have these drains which could have the coating sprayed on them during production.

I know some will say they will just clog up, but you can brush a bit of dirt and gravel off as with normal maintenance of any part of an rv.

now, my question is: will it weaken the jack foot/pad if the drains were drilled into them? This may be a question for the level up maker.

'Lil Guy'

Saw these pads on a rig at the La. rally last week and am thinking of getting 6 to install on my new rig. Looked really clean when installed. I don't see the issue with the water retention. The feet on the 6 pt. have a cupped edge that will hold water already.
If I decide to drill drain holes in the pads, I'll do it before I mount them so I don't hit the pads on the rig now. Seems like you're gaining a better footprint and some added height to keep the extension down on the level up. That is what the pad is for and it looks like it will do just that. Yep, I'm going to order them now.
If someone would make a plastic little cone and turn it upside down with a hole to fit the diameter of the level up, you could just remove the foot pads, insert the upside down concave or cone shaped plastic cover, reinstall the pad, install the snap pad and wha la, you now have an umbrella for your pads. Naa, they make black Rustoleum paint for this. Wait, even better, maybe they could increase the price by 4 to 500 bucks and put a little air nozzle on each leg to blow the water off. Better yet, add another $100.00 and put a rain sensor to activate the air blast.
In closing, I'm ordering some now. They look like a good product to have and do exactly what they are designed to do. I like the extra height and the fact that they are there to stay. If those pads hold a little water and that is the only issue I have with my rig, I'm a happy camper.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just a thought for those drilling the holes - try a "Forstner bit". I think it would do a better job in making a clean hole over a standard twist drill bit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-3-8-in-High-Speed-Steel-Forstner-Bit-FB-002/100098837
I was thinking that type of bit would just clog up in there.. But I will definitely try it.

Also I was thinking, that drilling the hole in the Level-up pad will only drain when the legs are up, or on gravel. So I think drilling the drain hole in the SnapPad is the best solution.

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Couple of questions.

The pads are 2" thick in the area below the jack pad? Giving essentially a 2" extra lift? Or it is 2" overall height, if so, what is the "gained" height then?

Claim: SnapPad will automatically level across any surface.
Doesn't the jack pad already do this through the bolt and pad having a swivel socket?

Claim: Octagon Shape ... design distributes the load of your RV over a larger surface area
Not sure if I understand how a rubber pad is going to distribute 2000-4000 pounds more evenly then a pad with no SnapPad

The Patent-Pending design distributes the load of your RV over a larger surface area.

RV_SnapPad_Support

Hi Duane (& Debbie) Good questions!

The pads are just under 2" thick total, the gained height is 1 1/8".

The existing jack pad does have a 5 degree swivel socket. We are referring to the pads ability to conform to lumpy hard-packed ground and gravel.

Although it's hard to tell by the pictures the pads are 11" in diameter compared to the 9" OEM foot. Without drowning you in math I can tell you (per pad) this adds an additional 36 sq/in of surface area that contacts the ground. That's what we mean when we say it distributes the weight over a larger surface area.
More stats and info here.

Thanks for the questions, let me know if you have any more :)

Couple of questions.

The pads are 2" thick in the area below the jack pad? Giving essentially a 2" extra lift? Or it is 2" overall height, if so, what is the "gained" height then?

Claim: SnapPad will automatically level across any surface.
Doesn't the jack pad already do this through the bolt and pad having a swivel socket?

Claim: Octagon Shape ... design distributes the load of your RV over a larger surface area
Not sure if I understand how a rubber pad is going to distribute 2000-4000 pounds more evenly then a pad with no SnapPad

The Patent-Pending design distributes the load of your RV over a larger surface area.

'Lil Guy'

I ordered mine this morning. I like to put a jack pad under my 6 jacks when I set up. This is like putting a 1 1/8" jack pad under each jack without having to run around trying to center them. I don't think this will change the RV height but only the amount of leg extension per leg. I have additional 1 1/2" pads to help on uneven surfaces or to further shorten the leg extension.

kdubinwa

I ordered a set of 6 for my new Bighorn 3160EL and I got a question for you snap padders:

With 1 1/8 inch of lift per jack leg, how much additional height of leveling pads/blocks should I carry for dealing with the occasional un-level campsite to avoid going out of stroke?

Also, how many level up legs would I typically need to add additional jack pads under the snap pads to overcome out of stroke? one side (3), all but front (4)

My uneducated guess is the most I would need to level in most sites is enough level pads to add 3" of height under 3-4 of the leveling jacks.... so 9 to 12 inches of stackable hoss pads, stall mat, leveling blocks or whatever? Overkill or Short?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That all depends on the site your trying to set up in most of your every day camp grounds you shouldn't need any. And others you could need up to 4" to 6" under 2 or 3 of your lower jacks. Myself so far I have never needed any with this couch. With my toyhurler, we did alot of off road camping and I had to carry a small lumber yard of blocks to get it level.
If you carry 3" or 4" of blocks/pads for 3 legs I think that's more then enough. Some of these guys put blocks under there level up jacks every time just for the fun of it I guess. "To each his own"
For me, the level up is on there to eliminate the need for blocks in most cases.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RVFun4Us

I received my RV SnapPads yesterday. After reading the posts on this thread, I elected to drill a drainage hole in each pad before installation. Probably took me about an hour to install counting hooking up the fifth wheel to install the landing jack pads, then disconnecting for the remaining four. Also tried to make the rig as level as possible on the gravel before installation. They do look nice on there. Now we will see how the drainage holes work after a rain storm. Nice addition to the rig. Has anyone else drilled the drainage holes prior to installation since the last post a couple of months ago?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Nice
Glad to hear you got them on :)
I still need to drill the holes in my other 5 pads.
The one with the hole definitely drains better then the 5 without.
You will love them

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
That all depends on the site your trying to set up in most of your every day camp grounds you shouldn't need any. And others you could need up to 4" to 6" under 2 or 3 of your lower jacks. Myself so far I have never needed any with this couch. With my toyhurler, we did alot of off road camping and I had to carry a small lumber yard of blocks to get it level.
If you carry 3" or 4" of blocks/pads for 3 legs I think that's more then enough. Some of these guys put blocks under there level up jacks every time just for the fun of it I guess. "To each his own"
For me, the level up is on there to eliminate the need for blocks in most cases.

Have you tried using blocks to reduce the movement? I haven't had our new rig long enough to see if it helps. I would think that the less the jacks have to extend the less the movement of the rig would be. i have heard that about scissor jacks anyway.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No I have not tried anything different..
I use a tripod some of the time. It really doesn't move that much at all. And I refuse to use blocks unless they are needed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We got a set for our 4 point system and they do seem to make a difference, best of which is the famous popping of the levelers is gone. We had an occasional pop, especially in weather changes but since installing the Snap Pads, it has not happened again.

Aandaar

My SnapPads are here, MY SnapPads are here, Dang'it trailers in the service center. Gotta wait to put them on.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
My SnapPads came in this week. They look to be very well made. I can't wait for the time to get them installed. I will have them installed before the Southeastern Regional Rally in TN(April) and the SC HOC Rally(May). So if you want to check them out look us up!