Dometic 15k Not Cooling

avvidclif

I guess the run of flaky AC's back in 2014-15 finally got to one of mine. The main ac is not cooling. Intake air is 78 and out is 72. Current draw is high at 18A. All the cooling fins are clean on the inside but the condenser just won't get cold, that combined with high current draw (voltage is 119v) tells me I'm in for a replacement if no-one has any ideas.

RV in Signature with 3 of these darlings. I contacted Dometic hoping for any kind of help.

wdk450

Sorry about your problems. I REALLY hope that Dometic helps out.

Vendors on E-Bay, and Tweety's, have just the top 15K unit for less than $800. Other places on E-Bay are showing complete units for $1600 PLUS shipping. Black ones seem to cost about $100 less than the white, but you can just buy the black one and swap out your old white cover. Tweety's is free shipping, but only to a commercial address with a loading dock.

I am facing this in the near future, but currently have more pressing needs for my finances.

Bones

I just replaced my Ac unit. I upgraded the 13.5 to a 15 heat pump. Had to get a new controller box and thermostat. All in was probably about 1600. Hardest part was getting the AC to the roof. I thew the old one off the roof.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Could it be a capacitor has gone out? That happened to us. Unit was running, just not cooling.

7d9129d8dd2e433875856825738acf09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

avvidclif

After looking around a bit I contacted a local on-site tech. He quoted $995 turnkey for the 15k Dometic. That was trip charge, labor, and AC. The best price I could find was at RVParts, $587 plus $60 shipping. The mobile tech quoted $210 for an install if I bought the unit. Rather than save $140 I think I will go with the turnkey and avoid all the shipping and scheduling hassle. Plus while here I'm going to get him to go over the roof and check the caulking. Now just to get into his schedule.

Obviously I'll let him check out the old one first. But not much hope there as this one was made in 2014 back when they had a run of bad ones. Dometic basically said, Sorry Charlie. What I figured but it didn't cost anything to ask.