DRW vs SRW and Gas vs Diesel

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, I dunno what to say. I've got the truck in my signature, full size bed, 4x4, and a 56 gallon tank. The RVSEF report from the Goshen rally gave the following actual vs. rated maximum weights:

Front axle: 4400 / 4860
Rear axle: 6600 / 8200
Pin (vertical load): 2950 / 4000
Trailer front axle: 5650 / 7000
Trailer rear axle: 5925 / 7000
Total trailer weight: 14525 / 16000

For the truck, the GVWR is 11400 and the GCWR is 23500. The weight of the truck, after dropping off the trailer was 8050, with me, the wife, and about 20 gallons left in a 56 gallon tank. The tanks on the trailer were empty when we pulled in but we had our full compliment of stuff loaded in the trailer.

Net result was that I was 1475 lbs. under the allowable tow weight and 1050 lbs. under the maximum vertical (pin) weight, 400 lbs. under the GVWR and 925 lbs. under the GCWR. So, it would appear that having the DRW with it's 8200 lbs allowable rear axle weight is preferable to being limited to 6700 lbs. Shortly after getting the truck, I took it to a CAT scale. With just me, a full OEM 34 gallon tank, and only the hitch and a lightly loaded tool box in the bed, the weight came in at 8040 lbs (4480 front axle, 3560 rear). The 4x4 unit isn't putting me over any weight limits.

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
I agree with you. I was just making the point that a F350 SRW 4x4 might be overweight if it also had an auxiliary tank. The DRW puts you in another league. However there is no way my better half would drivt around town given the width of the thing. And she has a veto right...

Well, I dunno what to say. I've got the truck in my signature, full size bed, 4x4, and a 56 gallon tank. The RVSEF report from the Goshen rally gave the following actual vs. rated maximum weights:

Front axle: 4400 / 4860
Rear axle: 6600 / 8200
Pin (vertical load): 2950 / 4000
Trailer front axle: 5650 / 7000
Trailer rear axle: 5925 / 7000
Total trailer weight: 14525 / 16000

For the truck, the GVWR is 11400 and the GCWR is 23500. The weight of the truck, after dropping off the trailer was 8050, with me, the wife, and about 20 gallons left in a 56 gallon tank. The tanks on the trailer were empty when we pulled in but we had our full compliment of stuff loaded in the trailer.

Net result was that I was 1475 lbs. under the allowable tow weight and 1050 lbs. under the maximum vertical (pin) weight, 400 lbs. under the GVWR and 925 lbs. under the GCWR. So, it would appear that having the DRW with it's 8200 lbs allowable rear axle weight is preferable to being limited to 6700 lbs. Shortly after getting the truck, I took it to a CAT scale. With just me, a full OEM 34 gallon tank, and only the hitch and a lightly loaded tool box in the bed, the weight came in at 8040 lbs (4480 front axle, 3560 rear). The 4x4 unit isn't putting me over any weight limits.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I understand. My wife has an Equinox to drive around in, so the truck is all mine. She will drive it (spelling me on the freeway to/from the seasonal site) on occasion if I ask her to, but not with the trailer on the hitch.

For some, the dually 3500 may be overkill, but when I was researching trucks after buying the BH, it seemed the way to go. It's mine, I'm making the payments, and I ain't looking back.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
All the comments have been so helpful. I've decided to go with a F350 DRW Crew Cab with 6.7L diesel and 4X4. My F250 would be at the very limits of weight both on the rear axle and GVWR. Thanks for all your responses and I look forward to meeting all of you at some rally next year. Ken

Firerad1

I believe you've made a good decision. I run three trucks, all dually's. When carrying a cab-over camper with 10K lb. trailer behind I've always considered it an additional insurance policy. The additional stability in winds, curvy mountain roads and when being passed by semi's is very re-assuring. It's also nice to be off of max load on the suspension. No doubt it won't be as smooth as a sedan when empty, nor get the traction with a light rear end, but you drop the pin down on the hitch and you will be amazed as the traction. Like hoefler said, lowering the tire pressure keeps from wearing out the tire centers, increases traction and smooths the ride out. Even though I'm always running loaded, I've never got less than 57,000 miles per set of tires. Keeping an eye on the pressure, and rotations periodically do wonders. My bride swore she would never drive a dually has figured out hot to scoot the seat up, bring the pedals up, and is pretty confident behind the wheel. Next month she plans on spelling me pulling our BH from Elkhart down to Texas!

Tool958

Also I'm not sure if like me you have a Kroger or Walmart gas station right down the road. So buying groceries gives me 10 cents to a full dollar off/gallon on diesel. Most I've accrued at once was 60 cents off diesel when regular price was 3.45 so that was nice but I haven't seen diesel over 3.55 locally.
Man that must be nice. Ours is $4.09.9 around here and we have a refinery within 10 miles of us. Even Indiana, just across the border from us, which used to be cheaper is as high or higher.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Drove a 99 F350 SRW long bed crew cab pulling a 16000 lbs 5er for 10 years before getting the dually F350. It is amazing the difference. The SRW did the job but the DRW is much more stable. Oh yea, the DRW is the FX4 model (4x4). It has come in handy twice when in the sand. Would have been stuck with the 2 wheel drive.