DuraMax mileage

bill40

"My favorite all time hot rod is the 32-34 3 window with the 5 window a close 2nd followed by the classic Willys."
Don't want to hijack but thought I would add the 34 was my favorite. That little gold thing in my sig. has the engine out of my 34. I think the guy's today call them small blocks. Still have the 671 that sat on top when in the 34. Spent many a Sunday in your area Duane.

porthole

Retired
Well, only partly hijacked Bill.

The 6-71 was from a GM Detroit Diesel, GM being the parent company of Detroit and the the thread subject Duramax.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK Duane, more trivia, most WW11 radial aircraft engines had the hemiphercal type heads. May have be the Chrysler design from the get-go. Yes I did know that the 331" was mostly used for stationary engines. If I remember correctly...you could punch the 331" out to make it a 354", but dont know if you could make a 392" from the same block.

For some of the younger folks....the Jimmy blowers came from the early GMC diesel inline 2 stroke truck engines. Here's what the numbers meant. 3-71..4-71..6-71... where all inline engines. The 1st number was the amount of cylinders and the 2nd number was how many cubic inches per cylinder. The 8-71 and up were V-8's. Then there was the 92 series, same thing except they had 92ci per cylinder. If the story is true...it was "Big Daddy" Don Garlets that 1st installed a blower on a dragster and ran the car at the Smokers dragstrip in Bakersfield California. BOY I love the old front engine fueler...had to have big brass ones to crawl into one of those cars. 1500HP..on fuel...and a 96" wheelbase. The original "E" ticket ride.

porthole

Retired
Well I hope the OP got his answer ‘cause we certainly hijacked this!

BTW Steve – keep it stock, change the air filter yearly Check your driving habits.
Most performance claims that seem to good to be true – are.

I can tell you though, with exhaust (turbo back 4”) tuner and some other stuff, level 6 was a blast to drive and from 0-70 I'd take it up against any Mustang or similar car.

OH - and a biggie – change the Allison spin on at the beginning of tow season and when you are done, top of the fluid and that trans will do you good. If I had another D/A combo I would consider the shift kit and deep pan. As long as you don’t mind a bit “crisper” shifts. The way you make an automatic trans shift nice and smooth is to “slip” it between gears.

Now off our regularly scheduled programming.

OK Duane, more trivia, most WW11 radial aircraft engines had the hemiphercal type heads. May have be the Chrysler design from the get-go. Yes I did know that the 331" was mostly used for stationary engines. If I remember correctly...you could punch the 331" out to make it a 354", but dont know if you could make a 392" from the same block.

For some of the younger folks....the Jimmy blowers came from the early GMC diesel inline 2 stroke truck engines. Here's what the numbers meant. 3-71..4-71..6-71... where all inline engines. The 1st number was the amount of cylinders and the 2nd number was how many cubic inches per cylinder. The 8-71 and up were V-8's. Then there was the 92 series, same thing except they had 92ci per cylinder.

I’m a MOPAR far, always have been.
Hemi’s – start to finish Fire Power or Fire Dome:
241, 270, 276, 291, 301, 315, 325, 330, 331, 341, 345, 354, 392
426 Started the “Hemi” years (trademarked name)
Modern day with the pansy numbering
5.7, 6.1, 6.4
5.7 = 348, 6.1 = 372, 6.4 = 390

The 396 was the beginning of great things to come out of Detroit and racing

As Bob mentioned, Blowers came right off of Detroit diesels until manufacturing caught up and started making quality replacements. (same applies to the modern day race Hemi).
Blowers were typically run at up to 30% over speed.

The 426 Hemi was the most powerful production engine made and still the only “factory” engine that was capable of being twisted to almost 5000 horsepower!
The 426 was conservatively rated at 425 horsepower back in the 60’s

And along with Bob’s “71” series listing we have 12-71’s and 16-71’s which were – you guessed it – 2 6-71’s or 2-8-71’s bolted together. The 71 series were great engines, identical side to side, front to back. The original Detroit Diesel 2 stroke came from the Gray Marine diesel. Best thing about these engine is you could rebuild them forever, as long as you don’t crack the block. Which is good, because I have a pair of 6-71 T’s in our boat.
There were also 2-71 and 4-71 series built for industrial apps

BTW – I think one of the reasons I like the 6-71 so much is because it is 426 cubic inches. 6-71 TI is turbocharger and intercooled pumping out 410 horsepower. Change the injectors and I can get 450 out them, bigger intercooler and I can get 485, but those are commonly referred to as “grenade motors”
The original 6-71 was 120 hp IIRC. (Same as the 3208 Cat, another great one)

If the story is true...it was "Big Daddy" Don Garlets that 1st installed a blower on a dragster and ran the car at the Smokers dragstrip in Bakersfield California. BOY I love the old front engine fueler...had to have big brass ones to crawl into one of those cars. 1500HP..on fuel...and a 96" wheelbase. The original "E" ticket ride.

I grew up at the Englishtown Raceway Park. My neighbor was a tech inspector and took me every weekend.
I love the front engine cars and was fortunate enough to have met just about every name there was in the 60’s-70’s and early 80’s

Here is one of my favorite videos, a 396 starting and warming up.
Started on alcohol, the car switches over to Nitromethane at the 2 minute mark.
This is the real deal car – no oil breather cans, no blower straps, not sure if it has the manifold “pop off” valves either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeX9mPoC8j0&feature=related

porthole

Retired
Of all my trips to the track, one of my fondest memories was the first time I convinced my daughter to go with me. Might have had something to do with Fathers Day.
And I didn’t fool around, straight to a National event.

You cannot explain the top fuel experience to someone – it has to be experienced in person, and at multiple track positions, starting line, mid track and the finish line. And of course the pits.

I got us belly up to a pit barrier (same position as the video below) for a warm up.
My late teens daughter, who was of course concerned more of how she looked then what was going on could not understand why all the boys around paid no attention to her :eek: hey 8000 horsepower is hard to compete with.
Most of the “geeky” boys had respirators and goggles on, she thought that was just so “boyish”

Fire that monster up and she quickly realized why the boys were ignoring her!
The raw Nitro in the air quickly took its toll and for the first time she had real tears streaming down her face that weren’t emotional :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWPItw6_UU&feature=related

Bob&Patty

Bill and Duane, I was on youtube last night looking at some of the same video's. If you look around, you can find some stuff from Englishtown raceway. For Bill there are lots of old and new 40-41 Willy's AA/GS footage also. I have known Mousie Marcellus (Winged Express AA/FA) for 35 years now. Glad he has his health and still runs the car. BTW, I did the same thing to Pat...got her in a tent with a AA/FD. I knew they were going to fire it. So I left her there and split. Heard it fire...couldn't find her for 10 minutes. When I did, it was UGLY but funny.

bill40

Went over to Maple Grove to the last big race with my sons, was surprised to see so many of my old racing cronies I ran into. Always make the street rod show in York. Haven't been to NJ tracks in long time, always liked Englishtown.

Bob&Patty

YEP, AA/FA and the AA/GS were nothing but guardrail to guardrail cars. TOOOOOOOO short and WAY TOOOOOOO much HP. Stone-Woods and Cook...Big John Mazmanian and a few others were always at Lions Dragstrip. "if you want to go fast....go to the beach". Boy did we highjack this thread. Hope the OP got his questions answered but old time drag racing is more fun that getting nervious and jerky about fuel mileage.

I was at Lions the night that "Wild Willy Bourch" and the Winged Express when through the lites at 200 MPH.... upside-down and backwards. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAAAAA.....bet he had a load in his shorts.