F250 Regen

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

Recently I have noticed that my regen cycle has begun coming more frequently and lasting longer. I now have regen cycles that can last 45 minutes or more while highway driving. They seem to be coming more often too. Two things have changed in the last couple of months. I have changed over to a K&N air filter and I have been driving about 100 highway miles per day. So a new aftermarket filter and different driving habits. So two questions:

1) Without getting into the usual aftermarket vs. OEM debate, has anyone heard about the K&N having any direct effect on the regen cycle?

2) Would the change to more miles and harder miles cause more/longer regens?

3) And I suppose I should ask if any of you also have regen cycles lasting that long. Is it as unusual as it seems to me? Seems longer than it's been in the past.

Thanks guys,

scottyb

I drive about the same as you. Are you referring to towing or empty? That sounds excessive to me. It should regen less with higher highway usage. They are supposed to increase with a lot of idling and traffic.

Jim.Allison

You need to get a re-flash on your computer. I don't have a Ford, but had a regen problem, took it in for service and they downloaded updates that got it all straight. It started when somehow they downloaded some stuff in my computer that had to do with a Dodge sports car, can't remember which one, but my evic had all kinds of stuff that had nothing to do with a RAM. Then I started getting the message to drive at hi-way speeds until the regen was complete, it never took more than ten minutes or so. But since it was re-flashed I have not seen that message. In a RAM you must be 80% or better full to get a message to drive at hi-way speed until regen complete, my message would come on and say 100% full drive at hi-way speed until regen complete. BTW, YouTube is a great place for getting information on such problems.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. I was speaking of driving solo. No towing involved. I also stumbled across a post somewhere else where a guy with a Duramax said that his dealership claimed that his regen process was damaged by putting in a K&N filter. Not sure how this could even happen unless the oil on the filter fouled his sensor. But I'm not sure how that even applies to the regen process. Seems like that should be a separate issue. Anyway I'm debating whether to swap a new OEM filter back in. Hate to waste the money on the K&N but I'd hate even more to have repairs that the dealer refuses to cover under warranty cause I put the filter on. But last night the following happened:

I was out driving and regen kicked in. By the way the regen kicks off with a huge embarrassing puff of white smoke (this is an on-again off-again issue that I've had for a long time and even posted about it). I decided to just go for a drive and let it play out. I drove for about 30 minutes and then gave up on the drive since I needed to stop at Lowes. When I left Lowes to go home (another 20 minute drive) it immediately went back into regen and did not finish by the time I got home. So twice last night it kicked into regen and did not finish on its own. Total time for the regen was approximately 50 minutes and again, it didnt complete.

Peteandsharon

One other point. I've posted about the regen process in general. I strongly believe that it is something that we'll look back on in 15 years or so and say "you designed these trucks to do what???!!!" It's a hugely wasteful and clumsy process. In addition, I have been watching some youtube videos recently which discussed the regen process. The guy is a mechanic down in Atlanta who does videos about various repair processes on Ford trucks. He basically says that the DPF is a time bomb waiting to go off. Pretty much by about 100 to 120 thousand miles the DPF will get clogged no matter how you drive. Then it's a huge expense to replace it. He, of course, recommends a DPF delete process which would put you on the wrong side of the law with Ford and others. But I would love to have that DPF out. I am not yet getting close to that mileage figure (I'm just approaching 70 K) but that inevitable time bomb gets me thinking at times.

vangoes

I know several 6.4 generation Ford owners that have have the DPF filter removed, new exhaust system and rechipped to fool the computer. They all report more power, and varing degrees of increased fuel mileage (some believable, some not). In general, I have not heard of anyone being sorry they did it. When I had my 08 Ford, surprisingly the service manager at our local Ford dealership suggested it and said they have done several of the conversions there. It was kind of pricey at $2,800 and of course, if you are not outside your 5 year/100m warranty it will be void. Hmm, I took care of the issue.....traded for a Dodge! lol

Peteandsharon

Good points Van. But you confused me so I want to clarify something. And please please please, lets not start another Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thread. They get old real quick and that is not my intention. But the DPF and it's related regen fun is not a Ford thing. It's a diesel thing. At least that is my understanding. And clearly Chevy has it too since I just sited the guy who had regen issues on his Duramax after the K&N filter. So...... were you just "funnin me" by telling me that you "dodged" the DPF issue by buying a different truck or am I missing something?

emm4273610re

Hi Pete ~ All OEM diesel trucks now have DPF system. You should NEVER see smoke of any color coming out (not to be confused with the moisture vapor on cold days) I also never heard of noticing the regen, it should happen by itself and you shouldn't notice it. it sounds like you have an issue and need to have it looked into. A K&N filter should not effect on the DPF however with the cost of these DPF the dealers are looking for any reason to have you pay out of pocket. They are subject to normal cleaning depending on the mileage, however being a emissions part if failed under normal operation should be covered under warranty. Good Luck and PM me if you wish.

Jim.Allison

I know several 6.4 generation Ford owners that have have the DPF filter removed, new exhaust system and rechipped to fool the computer. They all report more power, and varing degrees of increased fuel mileage (some believable, some not). In general, I have not heard of anyone being sorry they did it. When I had my 08 Ford, surprisingly the service manager at our local Ford dealership suggested it and said they have done several of the conversions there. It was kind of pricey at $2,800 and of course, if you are not outside your 5 year/100m warranty it will be void. Hmm, I took care of the issue.....traded for a Dodge! lol
Was going to buy a Ford. In fact I had decided to buy one, I was looking at them on YouTube (dreaming of the one I was going to buy) when I ran across some NEGATIVE information about the Ford. My research showed the Ford and GM both out performed in hill climbs and in some other factors, BUT and it is a big BUT, the Cummins is and has been Best and Class for a long time. The Cummins has been used in a variety of applications and has been being used in Dodge now RAM for 25 years. Despite the marginally slower hill climb data and other aspects, I chose the RAM. I'm not sorry I did it. But still the Ford is a beautiful truck but my Ram is nice too. As far a performance is concerned, my Ram will "walk and talk" pulling my fiver. I do not intend to "delete my" "soot cooker." I'm getting 22 MPG on a 7400 LB 4X4 at 70 MPH. I'm not smarter than the cummins engineers and will not mess with perfection. BTW my truck has been back to the dealer one time and that was to get that re-flash to correct that download that somehow got into my system. I promise that I'm not trying to start a debate about Ford V Chevy V Dodge. But what I am saying is that there are a few problems with diesels, and those problems are expensive. Yes I chose the Cummins, but not because the Ford has some kind of mysterious DPF problem. Ford has worked tirelessly to put their pride an joy diesel on the market, it is no less than perfect and I'm sure your service writer, mechanic or other armchair engineers are not as intelligent as the ford engineers. Take that FORD or Chevy to a dealership that knows what the **** they are doing and get it fixed to your satisfaction. If they don't fix it leave it there and call Detroit or Dearborn and tell them you want to meet with the factory rep and get this BS fixed. All the diesels have their own LITTLE problems, but they are near perfect and if yours is not perfect then you are not getting what you paid north of $50K for.

Last edited:

SeattleLion

Thanks guys. I was speaking of driving solo. No towing involved. I also stumbled across a post somewhere else where a guy with a Duramax said that his dealership claimed that his regen process was damaged by putting in a K&N filter. Not sure how this could even happen unless the oil on the filter fouled his sensor. But I'm not sure how that even applies to the regen process. Seems like that should be a separate issue. Anyway I'm debating whether to swap a new OEM filter back in. Hate to waste the money on the K&N but I'd hate even more to have repairs that the dealer refuses to cover under warranty cause I put the filter on. But last night the following happened:

I was out driving and regen kicked in. By the way the regen kicks off with a huge embarrassing puff of white smoke (this is an on-again off-again issue that I've had for a long time and even posted about it). I decided to just go for a drive and let it play out. I drove for about 30 minutes and then gave up on the drive since I needed to stop at Lowes. When I left Lowes to go home (another 20 minute drive) it immediately went back into regen and did not finish by the time I got home. So twice last night it kicked into regen and did not finish on its own. Total time for the regen was approximately 50 minutes and again, it didnt complete.

We have a 2014 F350. It regens every 500 to 700 miles highway driving. I was told this is the normal interval.

Peteandsharon

Hi Pete ~ All OEM diesel trucks now have DPF system. You should NEVER see smoke of any color coming out (not to be confused with the moisture vapor on cold days) I also never heard of noticing the regen, it should happen by itself and you shouldn't notice it. it sounds like you have an issue and need to have it looked into. A K&N filter should not effect on the DPF however with the cost of these DPF the dealers are looking for any reason to have you pay out of pocket. They are subject to normal cleaning depending on the mileage, however being a emissions part if failed under normal operation should be covered under warranty. Good Luck and PM me if you wish.

I posted the following thread specifically about the smoke issue. Definitely not condensation vapor on a cold day.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/36194-Regen-revisited

scottyb

Better get used to it. It is here to stay, or until they figure out a better way. We are now in Interim Tier 4, for off-roads and heavy equipment. DEF is on the menu for Tier 4. Try training a bunch of old dog operators how to manage the regen on a 50T excavator, whose exhaust will literally set tree limbs on fire during regen. The machine prompts them to allow it to regen, and if they deny it or don't continue to run at operating speed, over multiple times, it will go into limp mode and requires an expensive service call.

This may not be very popular, this Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is better is not very favorable toward K&N filters. I am more of a OEM person myself so it doesn't really make any difference to me.

vangoes

Pete,
Just funning about trading (although I did trade)....the '13 Dodges have the regen also. The rest of the post is true......many people are having the filter removed, re-exhausted and rechipped and all I've talked to have been very happy. I will say that when I was negotiating a new truck, almost every dealership asked if my F250 had been modified and said if it had been, the trade allowance would be less.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Deletes:

You can always go stealth. Buy old DPF and NOX canisters off ebay, clean them out, reinstall and keep your good filters to put back on when you sell. Everything looks normal and you do have to run a computer, ie H&S or Smarty. Entire deletes cost me about $700. I was getting 19 mpg on my 2011 Dodge and then the dealer re-flashed it on a service call, dropping the mpg to 15 at best. I now get an avg 21 without towing, 15 towing. Egr, throttle valve and cooler was just unplugged, you do not need to remove them on a 11 and newer model. The post of getting 22 mpg on tow is one in a million trucks...you need to keep it. I have never met anyone getting close to that pulling a 5th wheel.

Peteandsharon

Pete,
Just funning about trading (although I did trade)....the '13 Dodges have the regen also. The rest of the post is true......many people are having the filter removed, re-exhausted and rechipped and all I've talked to have been very happy. I will say that when I was negotiating a new truck, almost every dealership asked if my F250 had been modified and said if it had been, the trade allowance would be less.

I guess that is the part that scares me. What will it mean for trade in? Plus, right now, there is no emissions testing in the late great state of Illinois for diesels. Of course, Illinois is not known for smart decisions so that could change. Then what would happen if not having the DPF suddenly became "illegal". Spend another $2800 to put it back?? I dunno. It would be a little scary.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
First thing to do is throw the K&N in the trash!.......... then clean your intake system thoroughly. K&N's are a joke.

Jim.Allison

I THINK..........that all emissions systems have to be warranted for 100000 miles by law. Anybody know for sure? My Ram is 100,000 power train, and I understand that is "water pump to tailpipe."

scottyb

My Mustang is equipped with the Ford Racing performance pack. It comes with a K&N filter. Ford apparently likes them a lot.

Blown Fuel motors have zero air filters. Only a carbon fiber injector hat with butterflies. There's a big difference in something that needs to go fast and something that needs to run for 100K mi.