Electric awning repair

05Winger

We own a 2010 Sundance 287RL. While facing the electric awning of our trailer, the top two screws pulled out of the right exterior awning bracket. After reviewing the problem I saw there is nothing for these screws to bite into except the fiberglass, which is not strong enough. We have only used our awing a couple of dozen times and it has not been in any windy conditions.

What is the factory fix for this?

Thanks,
Jay and Lori Ross

jagiv

Sorry you had this problem, Jay and Lori.

We had a similar issue with the Carefree of Colorado electric awning on our 2011 North Country 29RLS, although our siding is aluminum. When our dealer got into it he discovered that the forward arm of the awning had been screwed into a wall stud, but the aft arm missed the stud by 2" so the top screws pulled out under very mild wind/rain conditions.

He had seen this problem before on another Heartland product so he had a ready fix. He drilled through the wall and installed two steel plates on the inside wall that both support the arm and also are long enough to screw into the wall stud. Fortunately for us the plates are inside a set of wall cabinets so they are not visible.

The dealer and I agreed that the best design/installation for the awning would have had both arms hitting wall studs, but that is not how Heartland has been doing it, at least on several of their models.

I am very satisfied with the fix and expect that I will have no further trouble with this.

Talk to some Heartland dealers and they will probably have some good ideas for you. This was a fix I could have done myself, but it was covered by warranty so I had the dealer do it.

Good luck.

John

05Winger

Thanks for your input Pat and John. Unfortunately we don't have a cabinet there to hide the plate. Glad to hear it worked for you. Still have not received an answer back from the factory.

jimtoo

HI Jay,

Hang in there... I think all the brand managers are at RV shows. They will get back to you soon.

Jim M

D

Dave Willis

I've sent this on to our service department to see if they can help you. We are supposed to have backers in the wall to screw the awning to. What is your dealer saying about this. They should be able to help you.

Thanks,

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
We install backers behind the awning rail that extend past the rail to attach the top of the awning arms to. the backers consist of aluminum tubing and galvanized sheet metal, if you are looking for a wood backer or something bigger you will not find it. you should take the unit to your dealer so we can work with them to get the awning secured properly to the side of your unit.

05Winger

Our trailer is no longer under warranty. Would the factory and/or dealer cover the cost of this repair?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our trailer is no longer under warranty. Would the factory and/or dealer cover the cost of this repair?

Check you awning paperwork. The awning warranty is 2 years I think. Mine was 3 years. BTW most dealers will warranty awnings regardless of the brand they sell.