EVENT: RV Show: PA, Hershey - 9/14/2011 to 9/18/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalspot

Thanks Jim!

I spoke to our "man on the ground" there in Hershey. He's there to setup our show displays and provide support for us during the show. He said our rigs are there in the lot and are not underwater at this point. So, hoping the rains stop after the weekend so the water can recede and the show can go on!

If I get more detail later from Mike, I'll post it here.

Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just spoke to Dave at the Conewago park. He said it is raining but the park is not flooded although the creeks are over the banks. He said that one of the roads leading to the Giant center where the show is has buckled due to the high water,

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I just spoke to Dave at the Conewago park. He said it is raining but the park is not flooded although the creeks are over the banks. He said that one of the roads leading to the Giant center where the show is has buckled due to the high water,

Yes! Unfortunately it's at the intersection of Rts 322, 422 and 39...a MAJOR interchange just southwest of the Giant Center and Hershey Highmeadow...this is going to present a real access issue getting to the center, depending on the direction you are coming from, and it will NOT be fixed prior to the show, way too much damage there....hopefully this rain will stop SOON!!!

dieselsweetheart

Hello all... I am watching continued coverage on our NBC affiliate....the portion of the road that has buckled is the area on 322 around Fuddruckers (if you know where that is)...on the 322 side....going up to the Hershey Med Center. The stream that normally runs under that section of road completely overflowed over and on top of the road. It has buckled in areas and is now not passable.

They say that people bringing in RVs for the show are having trouble finding an open and clear road TO the Giant Center...which is on Hersheypark Drive and Rt. 39. I myself have not traveled that route to check on it, but the restaurants along Hersheypark Drive (Pizza Hut, Wendy's, Bob Evans) were under water up to their roofs. Not good.

Not good especially because on the OTHER side of the Pizza Hut/Bob Evans is the creek, which also borders the Highmeadow CG...where many of us are staying next week. Jim and I will be taking a ride over the next couple of days to see what that area looks like. Conewago is down the road from me. Jay reports they are ok for now, but there is also a large stream that runs nearby that CG...so we will be following up on that area as well.

Please call me if you have any questions. 717-497-8459

The Susquehanna, while not near Hershey, is to crest at 28' on Saturday. The Susquehanna feeds many other creeks and streams. The folks in Harrisburg along the river are being evacuated today.

For now, plans are as they were made. Derry Twp however, has been hit pretty hard...all thanks to the Swatara Creek which winds throughout Hershey...

Updates as I have them. Stay tuned.

Thanks!

dieselsweetheart

Re: Hershey RV show September 14-18, 2011

AND as long as the roads around the area to Hershey aren't damaged and they remain open. We are seeing some damage to roads from all the water... I am mainly worried about Hershey Highmeadow. Will stay on top of things here...

dieselsweetheart

The good news is for now...the Susquehanna in Harrisburg is noted to be receding somewhat...but they are cautious as they still expect it to crest tonight around 29', making it the 3rd highest flood since they've been keeping records. Agnes in '72 was the highest recorded at just over 32'.

The Swatara, (aka Swattie as us locals call it) which winds through Hershey has already crested and is receding...so hopefully it will stay down now that the rain has stopped. This creek is what caused all the damage in Hershey. So we have some time for Highmeadow CG to get their area cleaned up...which you know they will get right on that...with the RV show in town, they are always booked solid. I don't believe that Conewago CG was affected at all. But we will check that out as well.

Jim and I are going to venture out tomorrow to check out the area so for those of you Hershey-bound, stay tuned.

jbeletti

Cheryl,

Thanks for the Hershey area update. Please let us know what you guys find on High Meadow and the Giant Center.

I spoke to Kathy Adams yesterday and she had already spoken to the owner at Conewago. They are not affected and are in good shape. Good thing to as there are a lot of us staying there.

Here's hoping High Meadow will be open for you and others staying there.

Jim

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Found this on Face Book

America's Largest RV Show
We just received official word from Hershey Highmeadow Campground that they will be closed through September 25th.

I just confirmed this with the CG - they are under water and closed as the facebook post states until at least Sept 25th. I was provided a full Refund. I hope that they can open more overnight dry camping at the Show.

Kevin

dieselsweetheart

wow....that is bad news for us who were going to camp there....ok, we'll be staying home (ha we only live 3 miles away).... I'm sure we will all get full refunds.

I went out today, I can't even get near Highmeadow. The main corner that is about 200 feet from the entrance is closed for now. 39 I believe is closed too...that would be the other option. That's where the big flood was because the creek is right there. That creek also borders Highmeadow, and I'm betting they got hammered. See my new photos I posted in my Heartland Facebook page (the one I started).

So....I would recommend a call to Conewago for any extra sites. Good news is right JB, I think many folks were already booked at Conewago. I think it was just us, Deans, my sister in law, and Gilette's booked at Highmeadow.

My plans are still on!!!!! Let me know what your plans are!!! If you decide to cancel, let me know. If you are going to call Conewago, I would hurry and do that. I anticipate many who are out of luck on Highmeadow will be calling Conewago as well.

Hang in there! I am!!!! Call me if you need to!!! My phone is always on!

dieselsweetheart

Oh, good news on that sunkened piece of 322 east....there are MANY PennDOT trucks already ripping up the road and getting set to repair it...so I'm hoping that by Tuesday it will re-open...they jumped on that very fast because it is a major section of road to the Med Center....I'll keep you posted!!!

dieselsweetheart

Flood 2011 002.jpgFlood 2011 004.jpgFlood 2011 013.jpgthe first 2 are shots today of the major intersection on Hersheypark Drive (this is on the way to Hershey Highmeadow)...it is closed for now...no word on when it will reopen.....the 3rd photo is of nearby Hummelstown...as of today, these buildings are still under water.

DougAndJudy

It looks like there are some spots available at the Thousand Trails preserve out past Campbelltown, about 10 miles from the Giant Center. I'm pretty sure they take public campers. Their number is 717-867-5515. Maybe we'll see some of you here.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Kevin, check out Conewago for a site.... phone # is on the first page here...

I had already called them - they have not had space since two weeks ago. They have a few Tent sites but nothing to handle a 35' RV.

I'm boon-docking or saying home. Not a happy Camper. I was boon-docking at HHM CG anyways.

Anyone have connections with the folks who are managing the Show? I wonder if they can expand the overnight parking for the show?

Kevin

dieselsweetheart

I just got through to Conewago, they are checking out their sites. They may end up with cancellations if people were camping to go to Hersheypark, etc...and don't want to come in with all the local flooding.

She will check with "Dave" who may be the owner. He is out checking sites now...some are fairly damp although they are not under water she said.

There is only 30 amp service but it's September...so you should not have to use your double ACs....

I explained who I was and my "importance" haha Once she realized I was in charge of a big group she gave me a lot more info.

Once I hear back, I will let you know.

tcfake613

Hello everyone... New to the forum but have been following thread. I'm in the midst of all this flooding. Anyway, don't forget Elizabethtown/Hershey KOA. They are a mile from my house in Elizabethtown about 25 min from Giant ctr. They sit on a hill and had no damage. Their phone number is 717-367-7718.
Not sure if they have sites but give em a try.

Good luck. Hershey is still pretty bad. A lot of Hersheypark was completely under water. I work on the campus of Milton Hershey School and we were hit hard.

Take care and safe travels.

dieselsweetheart

Thanks for that info! Yes Hershey got hit hard and it's so sad to see everything ruined. Thanks for posting the info for the KOA....

Status
Not open for further replies.