Flourescent lights

Kitch

Our unit is presently at the factory for the second day trying to figure out why our flourescent lights will only stay on for 10 minutes or less. Has anyone else had this issue on a 2011 Landmark Augusta?

jimtoo

Hi Kitch,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I have not heard of a problem like that, but do they come back on by themselves or do you have to do something? Give us a little more information and maybe one of the owners has experencied the problem and can give us a little help.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

hoefler

Most likely it is the fixtures. They are getting hot and timing out. The internal thermal fuse could be to light for the ballast

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have this same problem with a couple of my lights. I too believe it is an electrical component in the fixture. I would liek to know what component it is so I can replace it as I do not want to purchase brand new fixtures to fix this problem.

On a different note, it is important to have a proper 12volt converter for these fluorescent lights to work properly. A proper converter would be one that has reliable and constant voltage and amperage (clean power). I found this out when my brother installed a set of these fluorescent fixtures in his older SOB and the converter had to be replaced.

Mark

wdk450

Gang:
Something that might be easy to check, to eliminate it as a possible source of the problem, is the switch. A switch with deteriorating contacts will deliver less and less voltage to the light fixtures, and flourescents don't like this.
Simply remove the switch from its mounting, remove the wires from the back (it's safe, there is only 12 volts DC here), and tie the wire ends together with a wirenut. If the lights stay on OK for longer than you previously observed them go out, the switch is probably the problem.

Kitch

The second day at the factory, Heartland met with the manufacturer of the flourescent lights and they replaced all nine of them. Worked great since. Sounds like there may be a few units with the same issue.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like a "LOT" of lights was bad (sorry for the half pun, not intended). Hopefully the new lights solve the problem.

Willym

Brian,

Sounds like a good outcome. Did your other issues get resolved satisfactorily?

Have a safe trip!

The second day at the factory, Heartland met with the manufacturer of the flourescent lights and they replaced all nine of them. Worked great since. Sounds like there may be a few units with the same issue.

gldisc

Lights now have circuit boards in them. If the board has a crack when the unit gets hot the board will expand and the circuit opens. Thus the light quits working. You can buy replacement boards but sometimes its cheaper to replace the light.

George L.
2002 F350 DRW
2009 Augusta

irogeo

We just got back from Elkhart wtih our new 2011 Augusta and have the same problem. Three of our lights are out. Two of the lights were replaced while we were there in Elkhart but they have gone out again. Right now we are waiting for a fix from the factory. We now have 3 lights out. Hopefully it will be a quick fix. The service center tried several fixes while we were there however nothing has worked so far.

lwmcguir

Our fluorescent lights have work without failing for about 20 years. We have had them ever since they became available in Campers. The Yellowstone was 10 years old and never a failure. So far the Augusta lamps have worked fine.

Must be the new and improved Chinese version that are failing.

h2ok9

Greetings all

We have a 2011 rushmore --love it--- however we picked up unit in april and have burnt out four flourescent lights in the first 6 months. Now two of the lights on different circuits refuse to stay on more than 10-15 minutes, while all others on the circuit/switch work fine. If you leave the switch (wall) on and shut individual light switch off for 10-15 minutes and then turn back on light works but only for the 10-15 minutes. Sounds like less of a switch problem and would suspect the heat and or cracked gizmo mentioned earlier. does this sound reasonable?? And will factory send me new units. we are not near a dealer and fulltime.

Thanks

irogeo

Our 2011 Landmark Augusta has the same issue. We had two of the lights replaced while still at service center during initial PDI however both of those lights have gone out again. If you turn the lights off and wait several hours and turn them on again they work again for a short period of time. The factory has sent us replacement lights but our Augusta is in winter storage now here in South Dakota and we won't be able to install new ones until spring. I really doubt the new lights are going to fix the problem since they are the same type of lights. We as well as service center feel it is a manufacturing issue with the light themselves. I do hope you get your light issue resolved and would love to hear the outcome since we won't know til spring how ours turns out.

danemayer

Our 2011 Rushmore has the problem where the fluorescent lights go out after a while (kitchen). Sometimes it's one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. If I turn the switch off and wait a while, and switch them on, they work - for a while. Timing is unpredictable. Sometimes they work for a long time, sometimes a short time.

Heartland has sent 2 replacement fixtures that'll be installed in the next few days before we go to Colorado. So we should know in a week or two whether the problem is resolved by new fixtures.

Snowtek

I have exactly the same problem with my 2011 Augusta as you do. I am on my 3rd light fixture in the kitchen and still have the same problem. Also have the same problem in the living room. Have also replaced the switches to no avail. Some folks have had luck replacing fixtures but alas not me. Any help out there? I'm going to track down the ground next.

danemayer

New fixtures did not fix the problem on my Rushmore. Replaced both kitchen fixtures. The rear one has failed once since then. When it failed, it was very hot to the touch. The bathroom fluorescent has also failed several times.

Snowtek

Heres another thought on this problem. While trying to run down the problem with the lights I discovered that many of the spade tip connections were not crimped tightly onto the hot wire. If this is the case with the grd wire then I suspect a "high joint" might be causing the problem.

jimtoo

Hi Snowtek,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Heartland family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sorry to hear your having a problem with the lights, but hopefully you will find the problem.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Snowtek

I Talked with Steve Kennel with the Heartland Service Dept and he assured me that this was a circuit board problem. These lights were apparently made in China and imported by a company know a Direct Sourcing Alliance. This should be a heartland problem not a customer problem. Please contact the company and demand replacement lights from a reputable manufacture.