For those of us with 15" Towmax tires . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Which do you recommend?

All I read about here are the 16" and 17" tires on 5th-wheel trailers . . .

But those of us with bumper-pull trailers generally have 14" or 15" tires.

Anyone have good experiences or recommendations?

Jim.Allison

I have not looked into this and my study has been largely directed toward the larger rigs as that seems to be where the problem is. However, there is a solution to get away from cheap unreliable ST tires for you.

I would guess, that the main limitation for your rig is availability of tires that will carry your load and provided a service factor/safety factor. What are the tire sizes normally found on a 14 in or 15 in trailer tire. This will be helpful in that a reasonable effort must be made to maintain tire diameter. Ebay is a good source of larger rims, but the trick is getting a good tire at the right diameter. You can fudge a little, but the diameters can get away from you. Let me know what tire size you are currently running and the brand and style. Also let me know how many lugs are on your rims.

Which do you recommend?

All I read about here are the 16" and 17" tires on 5th-wheel trailers . . .

But those of us with bumper-pull trailers generally have 14" or 15" tires.

Anyone have good experiences or recommendations?

dbbls59

A very popular tire for TT's is the Maxxis. These are ST tires but seem to be of high quality.

johnpsz

I upgraded from 15" to 16" rims a few weeks ago because I wasn't happy with the 15" tire choices.

wrgrs50s

I have used Maxxis since 2005 on both of my RV's with no problems. My first experience with them was on a Coachmen ultra light travel trailer with 14's that came with Maxxis from the factory.

When I traded in my coachmen for the Sundance 5r it came with 225 75 15 D rated blowmax tires and developed a huge bubble within 3 short trips. I was able to get $90 in credit for the 1 tire and used that towards 4 new Maxxis. In the process I upgraded to the E-rated tires which gave a little more load protection at 80 psi instead of 65 psi on the D rated tires. As you see on the Maxxis chart from the previous post the 225 75 15 is available in D or E rating.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have not looked into this and my study has been largely directed toward the larger rigs as that seems to be where the problem is. However, there is a solution to get away from cheap unreliable ST tires for you.

I would guess, that the main limitation for your rig is availability of tires that will carry your load and provided a service factor/safety factor. What are the tire sizes normally found on a 14 in or 15 in trailer tire. This will be helpful in that a reasonable effort must be made to maintain tire diameter. Ebay is a good source of larger rims, but the trick is getting a good tire at the right diameter. You can fudge a little, but the diameters can get away from you. Let me know what tire size you are currently running and the brand and style. Also let me know how many lugs are on your rims.

My tires are 205R75-15's . . . and the wheels are 5-lug.

Jim.Allison

I would go to a major American tire manufacturer and buy a LT or P 235/75 R 15 rated at 2000 pounds or better at 50 psi or better. You will get the speed rating and the load rating you want. The G614 is an LT tire, on an LT carcass, and that tire eliminates a lot of problems for the fivers. If you buy a Goodyear LT tire, or a p rated tire it will be on a similar carcass. There is nothing wrong with running LT on trailers. They were running LTs long before the ST came along. Remember the the load ratings are figured different for passenger vehicles than trailers. This is how you get the lightweight ST carcass with enormous load ratings but get lower load ratings on LT tires. I would choose a 2000 lb rated LT over a 2500 lb ST any day. IMHO

If you gotta stay with an ST, the Marathons and Maxxis, are about as good as you can get, In those tires choose the 235 75 R 15 if your wheel can accommodate it, be careful to choose the 8 ply version of those tires, NOT the 6 ply or the 10 ply. These ST will provide 2540 pound load/tire. I dont think your rig will ever reach 70% of 10,000 lbs on the trailer tires.

My tires are 205R75-15's . . . and the wheels are 5-lug.

Gary521

Check out 225 x 75 x 15. Options are available. I have a car hauler and this size is suggested by the manufacturer for heavier use than the 205 x 75 x 15.

ucwinters

Jim,

Any reason why you suggest the 8 ply instead of the 10 ply Maxxis? I will be getting a Sundance travel trailer that (unfortunately) has the TowMax tires (size 225/75R15)

I would go to a major American tire manufacturer and buy a LT or P 235/75 R 15 rated at 2000 pounds or better at 50 psi or better. You will get the speed rating and the load rating you want. The G614 is an LT tire, on an LT carcass, and that tire eliminates a lot of problems for the fivers. If you buy a Goodyear LT tire, or a p rated tire it will be on a similar carcass. There is nothing wrong with running LT on trailers. They were running LTs long before the ST came along. Remember the the load ratings are figured different for passenger vehicles than trailers. This is how you get the lightweight ST carcass with enormous load ratings but get lower load ratings on LT tires. I would choose a 2000 lb rated LT over a 2500 lb ST any day. IMHO

If you gotta stay with an ST, the Marathons and Maxxis, are about as good as you can get, In those tires choose the 235 75 R 15 if your wheel can accommodate it, be careful to choose the 8 ply version of those tires, NOT the 6 ply or the 10 ply. These ST will provide 2540 pound load/tire. I dont think your rig will ever reach 70% of 10,000 lbs on the trailer tires.

Jim.Allison

The reason for my comment was to get you to see the 3 15 inch tires, 6, 8, and 10. I would not put the 6ply tires on the rig, the 8 ply fit in that your rig will never reach 10,160 lbs, but if you think you want the 10 plys the you can certainly put them on, I can't think of any reason you can't. Weight of the tire is a factor. You gotta spend money to roll them.

Jim,

Any reason why you suggest the 8 ply instead of the 10 ply Maxxis? I will be getting a Sundance travel trailer that (unfortunately) has the TowMax tires (size 225/75R15)

Jim.Allison

I don't like any ST but if I had to buy one it would be a Goodyear and not anything distributed by Dynamic Tire of Canada. Goodyear takes it real serious when you call them with damage from a failed tire, Blowmax dont. But as far as these smaller trailers are concerned I would try to find a LT tire in a similar diameter regardless of rim size, and kiss all ST tires and their silly fictional load ratings goodby. IMHO

The Marathon is no better than the Towmax IMHO

Grey Ghost

I don't run ST's any longer either. After a number of blow outs (towmax and Carlelies (sp) ?? I switched to LT's and have had no more problems. I went with Michelin M/S 2's on this rig, on my other rig (alfa) I ran with Michelin Ribs and had no problems. Much more expensive, but I hate sitting on the super slab with a blow out in 120 degree temps while other drive by at 80 mph and don't bother to pull over just a bit!!