Ford 6.7L HPFP failures w/o warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianharrison

Intertesting to hear about the other truck having a failure, especially since Canada has much higher fuel standards.

True for retail. However we also have dyed, non road use fuel which may have different quality standard and I can vouch that the Alberta Oilfield is ripe with workers using remote fuel cardlocks stocked with dyed offroad diesel in their trucks.

Not saying this is the case above, but I had a worker come back on us saying we damaged his truck with our diesel, stocked for the construction equipment and the drill rig......

Brian

ricatic

Ric
the filter that had the particles in it, did it have the plastic membrane?

Intertesting to hear about the other truck having a failure, especially since Canada has much higher fuel standards.

Duane

Yes. it did...

My understanding of the Open Range owner's problem was Ford tried to blame the failure on water in the fuel. There was never a WIF warning recorded by the PCM. This fact was used to argue the warranty coverage demand. Being in Canada, they may have different arbitration policies than in the US. This guy was pushing back as hard as I pushed...he did not have the political problem that I suffered.

The Canadian trucks are still failing...just at a smaller percentage compared to the US trucks.

Regards

porthole

Retired
Just not a WIF imprinted to memory can be a warranty issue. The whole purpose is to advise the driver something needs attention.

ricatic

Just not a WIF imprinted to memory can be a warranty issue. The whole purpose is to advise the driver something needs attention.

Your supposition makes sense to everyone but FOMOCO. Keep in mind what I was told by Ford, even from the Executive Offices, that it was my responsibility to prove my "no WIF warning, ever". Prior to my failure, Ford claimed no abilities to recall any prior WIF warning messages. During my battle, there was some discussion of removing the PCM from my truck and sending it to the Ford Dearborn computer lab to see if they could see if a WIF warning ever occurred. Mysteriously, that scenario was scuttled and I was told to prove I never had a WIF indicator. No proof...no warranty...I firmly believe the PCM to Dearborn plan was scuttled because Ford found out it could retrieve the information and would have to warranty the HPFP repair. Dealership politics precluded that from happening...

Regards

Ricatic,

Question for you. mmomega asked a bout price on an HPFP. That got me thinking he was going to try to replace the HPFP before a failure. Not sure if that is the case or not it is just an assumption on my part.

This poses an interesting question. If you take it to a Ford dealer for this repair will they note the aluminum in the fuel tank and filter in your file? If so wouldn't ford use this against him or anyone doing this if an injector failed in the future or even the replacement HPFP.

If not it might make sense to replace the pump if you have signs of a failure! A 1,000 dollar repair is a lot cheeper than a 10-15,000 dollar repair!

Moose

I would be curious to see the PSA between Ford/GM/VW and Bosch for this fuel system.

Did any of the buyers state that it had to meet current US Fuel standards? Did Bosch indicate one way or another that is did or didn't? Did Ford engineers/designers/buyers miss something here?

Is it possible that Bosch had fine print in their agreements that covered them on any of this?

Might this explain the different responses from Ford vs GM, etc?

ricatic

I hope Shelby GT isnt a troll.... I'm sure he will post his Heartland VIN after this request.

I would not consider him a troll...but I know him...he is an RV'er...and he has found the best forum on the internet...a new Heartland RV could very well be in his future...he does have the truck to pull it...

I do not see troublesome behavior in any of his posts. AFAIK, ownership of a Heartland RV is not required to participate in civil social discourse on this forum.

Regards

mmomega

AnyTimer
I don't plan on changing anything before it "crashes" on its own and I won't.

I'm going to continue driving it every day as is, not worry about it and let the chips fall where they may.

I hope Shelby GT isnt a troll.... I'm sure he will post his Heartland VIN after this request.

No troll here. Been following Rick around the net reading his posts. He has been through a lot. We do need to perswade ford to do the right thing and sharing experiences is a great way to build the knowlage bank. The answere to solve this are out there and starting to come to light. I have an Outback 280rs. Great floor plan and a side door for an atv or a couple bikes. Problem is it sways a lot!!. I had an F150 Super cew 5.5 bed 4x4. ecoboost. Great motor. This trailer is sold as a half ton towable. Did not work well at all for me. It set the sway control on the truck off because of excessive movement. Added two sway controlls but still to a lot of attention to drive safely. Powere on the truc was fine. I think the GVRW and wheelbase were the problem not to mention neede to add about 450 lbs to the tongue weight. Hense the F250 purchase. I should have reserced that a little better. Most likely would have purchassed my second choice just to avoide any chance of getting pinched paying for and HPFP repair. I believe the out back will be gone in a year or so. Kinda looking at a fifth wheel and maby double tow when we bring toys.

Ford has a check doc for techs to determin warranty coverage. We should come up with a pree check in doc for owners with thins to do prior to fords inspection. What about changing the HPFP before a full failure. We can buy the part on line and have a non ford shop install it. Not sure if the track any HPFP serial numbers by vehical. If not there would be no way to tell. You could clean the fuel tank and filters.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Your supposition makes sense to everyone but FOMOCO. Keep in mind what I was told by Ford, even from the Executive Offices, that it was my responsibility to prove my "no WIF warning, ever". Prior to my failure, Ford claimed no abilities to recall any prior WIF warning messages. During my battle, there was some discussion of removing the PCM from my truck and sending it to the Ford Dearborn computer lab to see if they could see if a WIF warning ever occurred. Mysteriously, that scenario was scuttled and I was told to prove I never had a WIF indicator. No proof...no warranty...I firmly believe the PCM to Dearborn plan was scuttled because Ford found out it could retrieve the information and would have to warranty the HPFP repair. Dealership politics precluded that from happening...

Regards
I know our JD and CAT equipment have a Tattle Tale that shows any time temperature or any other parameter is alarmed. You can even set it to send a wireless message. It is not resettable.

porthole

Retired
No troll here.

Don't take it personal - all of your posts here were on one thread - this one - and it seemed like - and since you didn't answer about the traielr - heartland or not ......... Well - you should see the picture.

Welcome and about that "outback" - time for a Cyclone!

So -the trailer sway on the truck did not compensate for the actual trailer swaying? Is it the same on the F250?
Haven't had the reason to actually try that and see how it works.

Don't take it personal - all of your posts here were on one thread - this one - and it seemed like - and since you didn't answer about the traielr - heartland or not ......... Well - you should see the picture.

Welcome and about that "outback" - time for a Cyclone!

So -the trailer sway on the truck did not compensate for the actual trailer swaying? Is it the same on the F250?
Haven't had the reason to actually try that and see how it works.

Not sure how it works with the 250, Seems like it shouldbe the same as the 150. I called RIVA for help. They had a retired employee whowas an engineer and consults for Keystone. His analysis showed that my F250 wassufficient for this trailer but borderline for the sway. We drove the truck andtrailer together. We took measurement and three different weights. He was theone who told me I was over GVWR for the F150. He drove my truck and did a maneuveron the freeway. He snapped the wheel very fast to about 5 degrees to the leftthen snapped it back to center. WOW was that scary. He then counts haw manytimes the trailer sways before stopping and falls in line with the truck. Itswayed 2 1/2 times each time he did this three times. He stated that if atrailer sways 3 times or more it is not safe. He also believed the F150 wouldnot have passed this test as it had a shorter wheel base and less weight. The consultant said I would do much better towing if I had a Quad in the front of the traileror 450lbs of ballast like sand bags. To me this trailer is very unstable. I would not recommend anybody try this test!!! This guy was trained to do it. Reallyscared the crap out of me! My trailer has about 10.5 % tongue weight as I have it loaded. They say tongue weight needs to be at least 10%. Looks like my trailer would like closer to 15% or more to tow well.

Last edited:

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Duane, I agree with you about the non-response on what type of unit Shelby has!!!!!

porthole,

It will probably be a year or two but I would like to go back to a 5th wheel, now that I have a 3/4 ton again. Like the Bighorn BH3010 RE. We only dry camp and I like the water capacity and it is a little shorter that the 40' toy haulers. If I take toys I can double tow.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I traded out of a 44' SOB toy hauler to the Landmark. Got to the point that we needed living space more than the 14' garage.
If we ever camp + use our 4 wheelers at the same time then my stepson just follows with the other F350. It's usually not more than 3hrs away if we do both.

You may want to check your state laws on total rig length. Most are 65' max.

mmomega,

How many miles do you have now since you found the aluminum in the fuel you drained from the filter? Have you done another test drain? If so did you find anything in it?

Thanks

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'm at 19,700 and I changed the oil and filters last at 17,300. No problems to be seen yet. I have not done another drain yet, was going to check this week before our next trip.

Not really on topic but I have towed know with the 11 250 and have to say something is going on. At low speeds I can pull the tongue off my 8,000 lb Outback. But at higher speeds like 55-60 if I floor it on a 6% grade it will barely pick up speed. I posted a vid of my gauges going up hill. I had it in the dealer and they said all was well. they did the sensor reprogram and said that might help as it also effected the trany. In the vid you see my rpms at 2000 then I floored it and you can hear the down shift. Watch the speed it does not increase. You can also hear the music I had to tolerate as it was a daddy daughter trip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyoGcu2qPtU

I had a 2011 Ecoboost 150. It would pull my 8,000 lb trailer just fine at low speeds. My 2011 6.7 would do better than the 150 at low speed but up the hill the 150 with an Ecoboost will beat this
truck
hands down from 50mph plus on a 6% grade pulling the same 8,000 lb load. I mean it is not even close. The 150 also had a 6 speed!

Ford must have done something electronically to slow this 250 down. Don't know what the reasoning is but they have definitely held it back for some reason! Maybe the EGT with the center exhaust would get to hot and burn up something in the engine bay if they did not reduce
power
. This does not happen flat out with no trailer so again maybe the motor is monitoring the EGT's a little too closely.

I am going again this next weekend will let you know if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.