Ford 6.7L HPFP failures w/o warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricatic

Ford 6.7L HPFP failures w/o warranty

After reading numerous post about problems with Ford's fuel pump here and several other forums, I decided to post an excerpt from Fords owners manual. This information can be found on page seven (7) in the Ford diesel supplement owners manual.
I have posted a C/P that depicts Ford's admission on the possible getting water/contamination in your fuel. What puzzles me is that Ford admits owners can get contaminated fuel. Also, they state that their "Fuel filter/water separator" will remove water from the fuel.
All that being stated, how can Ford deny warranty coverage. Does their denial for warranty consideration indicate a deficient filtering system? And they are gong to hold owners responsible for fuel contamination. As a side note, GM is covering owners on the problem and they have had their share of problems. They too use the same Bosch HPFP. So, I would challenge Ford's denial for warranty consideration.
I have not had any problem yet, but if I do, I will assuredly challenge Ford on denial because of "water in the fuel".

Water in fuel:
During refueling, it is possible for
water-contaminated diesel fuel to be
pumped into your tank. Your
vehicle’s fuel system is equipped
with a fuel filter/water separator to remove water from the fuel. The
water in fuel light will illuminate when the DFCM has a significant
quantity of water in it.
If the light illuminates when the engine is running, stop the vehicle as
soon as safely possible, shut off the engine, then drain the DFCM. Refer
to Fuel filter/water separator in the Maintenance and Specifications
chapter of this supplement for the drain procedure. Allowing water to
stay in the system could result in extensive damage to, or failure of, the
fuel injection system.
Note: Air will enter into the fuel system if the DFCM is drained while
the system is running. The engine will not operate properly if air enters
the system.

WARNING: Do not drain the DFCM while the engine is running.
Fuel may ignite if the separator is drained while the engine is
running or the vehicle is moving.

...and you would lose...BTDT...I went all the way up the ladder at Ford to the Dearborn Executive offices...Ford has taken a very hard line with any HPFP failures. No repairs to HPFP's until a Ford Field Service Engineer inspects the truck...if he even dreams about seeing evidence of any water , no warranty...BTDT too...

GM has warrantied all their Bosch CP4 failures. You can not find one single GM CP4 failure posted anywhere...and we know they fail as often as the Ford. If you want HPFP reliabilty without worry, buy the 2013 Ram. Fully upgraded from front to back and top to bottom...and no CP4 HPFP to be concerned about causing $10,000 in damage...

Regards

dave10a

The interesting part of the Internet is anyone can post anything in a very convincing manner. The story about Ford and their warranty rejection is unsubstantiated by a known reliable and verifiable source. Who knows if the claims are accurate or not, but if they sound convincing, they seem to be accepted without proper verification by too many people. I checked with my sources at Ford and they think this story is an "internet lark" and one should check with their dealers or a Ford Area Rep for any warranty concern they have. It is too easy for these stories to be posted on the WWW. Remember the Internet is not owned by anyonr and can distribute any form of information from almost anywhere.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well after posting in this thread back in April 2012 I have gone another 16k trouble free miles, so far so good.

porthole

Retired
The interesting part of the Internet is anyone can post anything in a very convincing manner. The story about Ford and their warranty rejection is unsubstantiated by a known reliable and verifiable source.

Dave, the forum member that posted above you is one of the "unlikely it happened to anyone for real Ford truck owners".

porthole

Retired
Read Ric's history -ford denied his warranty claim and he did a lot of research and discovered many things. As well as a very expensive repair bill (well over 10K)

All because some knucklehead at the dealer claimed he could "smell" water in fuel system.

It is not BS, it is real and it happened to someone many here have camped with.

Reliable enough?

dave10a

Read Ric's history -ford denied his warranty claim and he did a lot of research and discovered many things. As well as a very expensive repair bill (well over 10K)

All because some knucklehead at the dealer claimed he could "smell" water in fuel system.

It is not BS, it is real and it happened to someone many here have camped with.

Reliable enough?

I read this on both this and the Diesel Forums, but that does not mean it is accurate and it does not line up with what the Ford area rep tells me. Interesting read but again it needs proper verification for me to believe this. Anyone can say anything, but usually the devil is in the details. Too many people are willing to believe what is posted with out verifiable facts.... If you have verifiable facts please show me.. :)

lwmcguir

So far still whistling here as one poster noted a while back noted, no failures anywhere near our area. There just aren't many failures out there but I do feel for anyone that has had one. The internet is getting saturated with crap more so everyday. Seems to be a trend for misinformation in our country as well as others. Anything mechanical can certainly fail and will given enough time. The $50 plus cost of the fuel filter/separator may make some folks think about changing them. We have found with all the Diesels over the years that the fuel filter/separator is critical no matter what engine we are talking about. Buy clean fuel, keep it clean and change the filters.

dave10a

I would like to see a formal rejection by Ford and the so-called $9000 bill delineated to determine exactly what the service charges are for. It is a lot of money if this is real and a valid claim of warranty was rejected. My experience with Ford, GM, Caterpillar, Freightliner and Chrysler warranty has been very good over the past 50 years, so I am very skeptical of this claim as stated. I am surprised to see how many people accept this without verifiable facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricatic

I would like to see a formal rejection by Ford and the so-called $9000 bill delineated to determine exactly what the service charges are for. It is a lot of money if this is real and a valid claim of warranty was rejected. My experience with Ford, GM, Caterpillar, Freightliner and Chrysler warranty has been very good over the past 50 years, so I am very skeptical of this claim as stated. I am surprised to see how many people accept this without verifiable facts.

You do not know me...and I do not know you...but the rejection of my Ford HPFP repair under warranty is the gospel truth...and yes, the bill was $10,030.00. If you do not believe this, then you are not up to speed what happens when the HPFP self destructs. It grinds away until it fails but fills the entire fuel system with aluminum shavings...

The repair is a complete fuel system rebuild. Along with the expensive pump, the 8 injectors, both fuel rails, both fuel filters, the DFCU and sending unit, dispose of all fuel and spend 3 or more hours cleaning the aluminum grindings from the fuel tank...Adds up fast when you have to pay a dealership to fix the truck or lose all the engine warranty...not that the warranty is worth much to begin with...

Ford dealers are the worst place on earth to get the truth about the 6.7 and it's issues...yes, many have had no problems...but so did owners of the old 6.0 Ford POS...I owned both trucks...I know...Failed HFP's, broken exhaust valves, failing turbochargers, and issues with NOX sensors have been discussed at length on Ford sites. In the NHTSA investigation into Bosch CP4.xx series HPFP's, Ford admitted to having hundreds of failures...so did GM...Ford fights with all owners who have a HPFP issue...It is in their pinpoint diagnosis directions...all HPFP issues require a Ford Field Service Engineer to actually look at the truck before any work can be started...like Duane stated...a sniff of water, real or not, results in an instant warranty denial...These are the facts...

Ehy you would infer that I have lied about my experience is beyond me. My case was well documented, and verified by moderators at Ford Truck Enthusiats. Moderators there have seen the emails from one of Ford's lead designers of the 6.7. One such email shows the absolute support of this engineer in recommending repairing my truck under warranty. Another, received on the Monday after the final denial at Ford World Headquarters, tells of this engineer's extreme disappointment in Ford for not fixing the truck. He then mentioned he had difficulty sleeping over that weekend...

Maybe you could find your way over to dieselsite.com and see what the owner has to say about the HPFP system problems. I have had long discussions with him...and he is not to pleased either...but maybe we are both being untruthful...his bill was over $11,000...maybe he is not being truthful about that either...I have seen other Ford owners with HPFP failures post that their repairs cost up to $17,000 to fix...do some serious research before you attempt to throw stones at people who have BTDT...and I do have the bill to prove my repairs...some people here have seen it....

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.