Four out of six landing gear not welded frame bent - Help!

Jim.Allison

If I'm the Jim you are refering to, I have always understood what you were saying. I did not make myself clear in the post that you might be referring to. I have since deleted it. I feel your pain and have since your original post. It does not take much imagination to visualize the damage that could be done, by non secured strut in a 6 point. Keep us informed.

Jim,
Hearltand has the proof that the frame is bent.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not sure why you think you will take a $15K hit. Cars and trucks are repaired all the time. That means nothing to trade in values. The only time you would take a "hit" is if it has a "salvage" title which is a reclaimed total loss. I think that you are getting some not so good advice. Your insurance company is not paying the bill and that would be the only ones that would make the repair known to the world. It's really too bad it happened to you. Stuff in life happens, all any of us can do is deal with it and move on. If the repair is done properly, you will never notice it was there nor anyone else will. Take a deep breath...have a cold one and see how it comes out.

My Horn is in the shop right now having broken welds repaired around the pinbox. To me thats OK, its a piece of machinery that failed. Who's fault was it?? Who knows and does it really matter now. Was I upset, absolutly, will it ruin my life, no. It's going to be repaired and I will move on. 40 years ago I would have been jumping up and down, rolling in the dirt, and cussing up a storm. At my age now it's an "oh well...stuff happens". No one died, I still have all my fingers and toes, all my kids and grandkids are OK. So life is good.....just a bump in the road of life.

Jim.Allison

Interesting question. Next time you are talking to your dealer, ask him how much he would give you in trade, for another rig. See what he says. Then you could put a number, on it and a tacit agreement on how much it depreciated because of the damage. If he trades even then no problem if he discounts 15k then you know its 15K. If he says he does not want it then, you know its worthless. Skin that cat, man.

Bob&Patty,
so you would take it as is and take a hit when you traded it in of over $15,000?

Cjackg

Back to the original problem... After hearing the original problem I decided to take a close look at the LevelUp Jacks on my 2015 Cyclone 3110.

Here is what I found... All 6 of the Jack bases are welded to the Side of the frame with nice solid welds, and some were even welded on the bottom of the frame...

but, a few had no visible weld on the bottom of the frame and a couple had very sloppy welds on the bottom edge. A weld here would help to strengthen the mount but is probably not the main point of structural integrity for the Jacks. Later I did see there was a weld on the inside edge of the bottom on some mounts... I could only see these on the front Jacks by looking inside the propane compartment.
A couple of pics at this point will show what I am talking about...
Weld05.JPG Weld03.JPG BadWeld02.JPG no-weld01.JPG

Checking the angle on the six LevelUp Jacks showed that the mounts for most were within 0.1 to 1.75 degree outward tilt. Only one showed up with more and that was the center Jack near the passenger side which I have noticed before showing up at visibly off angle. It measured as being very close to 4 degrees outward tilt which is still within the specs I have seen, but having one Jack this far off from the other 5 is worrisome...
There was no sign of anything wrong with the mount or welds on this Jack so it must have been installed with this much angle in the base mount.
Think I'll give HL a call about this to see if they consider it a problem.
4Degree-Jack.JPG

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
By now it seems as you should have enough posts to add pictures.

Is there a particular reason you are not showing what you are talking about?

porthole

Retired
I guess I have gotten all the advice that I can get from this group.
There are a couple of you that have drank the kool aid and seem to think Heartland can do no wrong.

No kool aid here and the advice you received was limited to the information you supplied.
Out of 18 total posts, all are suggesting a failure with nothing to show what has happened.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm a female, and blonde, so help me out.

Are welds the only thing that holds these brackets to the frame, or are there bolts as well? How did the jacks not just fall off or out of position, just from driving down the road? How did someone use the system, watching the jacks do their thing, and not see something was wrong? To bend the frame would seem to require excess force of some kind. What incident exactly caused the bend?

And to top it off, threatening HL on an owners forum or billboards or whatever, is going to accomplish....what?

porthole

Retired
I'm a female, and blonde, so help me out.

Are welds the only thing that holds these brackets to the frame, or are there bolts as well?

Erika, whether aftermarket or from the factory, the LevelUp brackets are welded to the frame. Some trailers without LevelUp also come with the brackets already welded on from Lippert.

The LevelUp jacks are then bolted to the brackets with 6 high strength bolts.

danemayer

Good questions Erika. There's a reason so many people have asked for pictures. Lots of us have 4 or 6 point leveling systems and it's awfully hard to understand what's been described.

jdamude

All the folks here have asked for is pictures in order to help you with advice. After all the posts you have have still failed to provide more information which makes one to think that there is something other than what has been described.

I think it would be a good time for one of the moderators to close the post.

Jim.Allison

As far as I know he is a genuine Heartland owner and a HOF member, Why would you want to close his post? Perhaps he will post pics later, last I heard he was away from the rig as it was parked at plant 69 or 96 or where ever. Thinking, assuming, and suspecting are not the same words. You suspect there is more to the story, and there may well be but we will never find out if you close the post. Who and where has he failed to provide what? He is not obligated to provide me with photos. Let it ride, see where it goes. It would be more interesting if he provided photos though, but I'm interested in whether or not it gets resolved. I hope the moderator lets it ride for a while.

All the folks here have asked for is pictures in order to help you with advice. After all the posts you have have still failed to provide more information which makes one to think that there is something other than what has been described.

I think it would be a good time for one of the moderators to close the post.