Fuel Filter Question

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
The old Dodge is turning 5 years old next month and the O.D. just rolled over 12.5k miles. I'm wondering about the life span of the fuel filter. I know you are to change them out every 15k, but I'm still using the original filter. Should I change out the 5 yr. old filter or is it not a problem to wait for another 2500 miles.
Also, any good air filters out there for the 6.7 Cummins or should I stick with the OE filter. On my last Ford Diesel, I was told thatr the Ford filters were the way to go.

Last edited:

57chevyconvt

Jamie; I agree with Jon on the frequency of change on the fuel filter. What brand and type of filter media do you use? I use the Fleet Guard "Strapore" filters for both oil and fuel. I change my oil and fuel filter every 7 to 8k miles. A high pressure drop on the fuel filter will cause extra work for your In Tank fuel pump. These babies are not cheap, plus you have to drop the tank to change this fuel pump. You must be using a good clean grade of diesel in order to achieve that many miles on the original filter.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I think you need to drive that truck a lot more than you have.

I agree John. Working on that problem this year.

Fuel filter problem is taken care of, changed it out today. Now I need to address the air filter. Any suggestions?

Jamie

mesteve

Napa Gold for all filters if available. Most are made by Wix I believe, but a few $ cheaper most times I have found.

lwmcguir

I agree John. Working on that problem this year.

Fuel filter problem is taken care of, changed it out today. Now I need to address the air filter. Any suggestions?

Jamie
Late Model Ford Diesel Air filters are designed to last well over 50K under normal service. Don't know anything about the late model Dodge. With late model Ford, stay with Ford filters when you can. Our older trucks we use Napa for the fuel and air due to the case price being so much cheaper when you book them annually.

caissiel

My air filter in the Ford is 7 years old and 110K miles. It looks like new and still very light with no restriction. Changed GM paper Filters at every oil change due to dirt before, so used K & N's on those trucks. Diesels draw much more air through the filter then gas truck.
Fuel filters every 15K and up to 3 years for mine, and never seen a dirty filter yet. But changed one on my friends truck that the first filter was realy heavy with dirt never knew how long it had been there, he had bought the truck used.
If you have the paper filter I would change it to as it could have got wet with so little mileage.
These trucks get hurt more by not driving then driving them hard.

bd2dabone

Fuel, oil filters and water separators

So should you wait until the on board computer says you need to change and/or drain?

lwmcguir

Fuel, oil filters and water separators

So should you wait until the on board computer says you need to change and/or drain?
I like to schedule mine. Fuel are both changed at 15K and the oil is changed at 7.5. We use 5K for the equipment that is used off the main hi-ways as the trigger point. Easy to glance at the odometer and see if it is time for an oil change. Air filters are changed based on the manually looking at the vacuum sensor. Quite a bit more often when it is dirty and dry on the back roads.

beardedone

Beardedone
I would suggest you visit the Dodge Cummins Forum and do some searching for very good information. One thing that came up was that fuel filters can start to break down after a long time in service if not changed. That material could cause big problems downstream. I also learned on that forum that the stock air filter is as good as it gets & no need to go aftermarket. Also the capacity of the air intake is excellent and no need to buy any aftermarket air intakes.

TimDyck

I work as a mechanic and when it comes to filters my answer is always the same...what's more expensive, new filters or a tow job on the first day of your vacation. Filters are cheap, break downs not only cost more but happen at the worst times. And befor anyone asks I can make a lot more money off the breakdowns but I perfer a happy customer.

traveler44

I always change my filters out on the Ford diesel but I read somewhere that the air filters work better if they aren't perfectly clean. I still don't plan on letting mine get very dirty. Tom

TimDyck

That's kinda true for air filters. Without getting into a lot of technobabble lets just say that a clogged air filter will cause your engine to be starved of air and run poorly but a clogged fuel filter will more likely will leave you paying for a tow truck. Filters are cheap, breakdowns are not.

porthole

Retired
As previously mentioned, in the long run filters are not all that expensive (talking domestic, air, fuel and oil, not ridiculously priced cabin filters :))

Service life for filters (and oil) is recommend by the manufacturers is a balance between protection and cost of maintenance to the consumer. Remember when it was recommended to change your oil every 3000 miles? And now the service life for most gas engines is 7500 with the filter at 15K? That has to do with the overall cost of maintenace to the consumer and is a selling point.
Granted, engines and the pats that make them go are superior to what was available 20 years ago, but being able to say brand A saves you $500 over the 5 year cost of ownership of brand B is a selling point.

That said, the mechanic in me (ASE Cert General Automotive) has me changing the trucks oil and filter at about 6-7000 miles. The fuel filter at least once a year once the weather turns to spring. I've never had water in the fuel,but if I started getting signs I would increase the fuel filter schedule. If I drive enough miles pulling the trailer over the season (read gallons of fuel burned), I'll change the filter in the fall also.

At 25K I just changed the main and pre air filters. They looked OK, but since the miles on them and the getting ready for 1200 miles in the mountains - I changed it.

I buy my filters and additives from Diesel Filters on line. I try and do my ordering (quantity) to get the free shipping.
Ordering online, with free shipping, I can get manufacturer branded filters at less cost then the aftermarket parts stores. You just have to be willing to buy in bulk.

Ford, Dodge and GM however do not make their own filters, they just set the specs for them.

Also the capacity of the air intake is excellent and no need to buy any aftermarket air intakes.

Same with the D-Max and probably the same with the Ford. No replacement intake for me.