Goodbye 3055rl ? ?

binkyk

From what I've read, the 3055rl has probably been the most popular Bighorn ever made.
And I agree. A great floorplan. Nice overall length.. under 36'.
Everything accessible with slides pulled in.
And it also gave people the option of a split bathroom.
So why has it been discontinued ?

After quite a lot of searching, researching and comparing, my wife and I were planning on ordering one in a few months. Couldn't find anything better for the money. One other competitor makes a very close twin, but we did like the Heartland product better. Now what?

I understand you factory guys may be bored with the older model, but sometimes what was good . . is still good.
And it's nice to have the alternative bathroom layout. Not everyone agrees that the single room layout is the best.
Choice is good for the customer.

You have a long and successful history with the 3055, keep it in the lineup and make the quality bulletproof.
That will make everyone happy.

Sorry . . . Rant complete.

jimtoo

Hi binkyk,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum.

I agree with you. I have not heard or checked lately for the lineup of new units. We love our 3055 and hate to see a well laid out discontinued.

If you look around or make a phone call or two, I would think you could find one on a lot someplace.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Binkyk,

The 3055RL is still shown on the Heartland website. How did you determine it's been discontinued? If you didn't hear it directly from Heartland, maybe you should give them a call at 877-262-8032 and ask to talk with someone from Bighorn sales to find out for sure.

binkyk

I did talk to Heartland. That's who told me about it. Even toured the factory.
According to the factory rep., if I wanted one I had to have my order in by about the middle of July. We just weren't quite ready to pull the trigger on something we couldn't use for a year, plus I have to sell my TT.
Anyway.... I have searched the internet a little and made a few calls, but almost no one stocks units with dual pane windows.
Dealers all say no one wants them, but everyone I've talked to who had them, say they won't have another unit without duals.
And, if I'm going to spend this kind of money, I want the features I want, in the color I want.

Oh well.

ihsolutions

I hear what you're saying.

I can't imagine HL would arbitrarily kill the model. There must have been a very good reason (ie low sales volume?)

I wouldn't buy a unit off the lot, either. I'm like you, I want exactly what I want and nothing different. No compromises. Not for that kind of money!

K

karykatz

Yes it is true- after a long run the 3055 is being discontinued. With the trend of fully enclosed bathrooms, the 3055 has lost its retail appeal. We track all retail sles by floor plan and in the last year the 3055 is less than 3% of retail sales.

Website will be updated in the next week with new fl0or plans and discontinued floor plans.

I hope this helps

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yes it is true- after a long run the 3055 is being discontinued. With the trend of fully enclosed bathrooms, the 3055 has lost its retail appeal. We track all retail sales by floor plan and in the last year the 3055 is less than 3% of retail sales.

Website will be updated in the next week with new floor plans and discontinued floor plans.

I hope this helps
Sorry to hear that about the trend of fully enclosed bathrooms. I guess we'll hang on to our 3400RL till it gets inherited by one of our kids.

binkyk

For the sake of conversation, and a little instigation, I'd like to make another observation.
The layout of the 3055 was still a very good plan, even if the bathroom had to be "fully enclosed".

Regarding the "trend" of enclosed bathrooms being dominate, sometimes people inadvertently create their own trend.
Years ago I worked for a large luxury automobile dealer. He would literally only stock his lot with leather interiors. When I mentioned that I had many customers asking for cloth interiors,
his reply was . . 98% of the cars we sell have leather interiors.
Well . . . that was probably true since 100% of the cars we stocked had leather interiors.
Some of my customers ordered their car with cloth, but many found what they wanted at other dealers.

So, I guess if only 1 Bighorn floor plan out of 13 has a split bathroom, you will have a trend of enclosed bathrooms.

I still like the 3055. Maybe if I wish real hard.... Is "reconsideration" in a manufacturers vocabulary ?

Anyone else have any opinions ?

jimtoo

The 3055RL does have a fully enclosed bathroom as far as we are concerned. Just slide the door shut, you got a shower, private pot room, all your clothes in the dressing area and a comfortable seat (bed) to set on while you comb or brush your hair, and even TV if you want it. Little mirror on the counter at the foot of the bed and you have a makeup table, if needed.

And binkyk is correct,, if you only make units one way,,,that's what your going to sell the most of.

Looks like your right Kathy. Do you think our values will increase?

And I'm not sure how you could incorporate an enclosed bathroom in the 3055 and still have the same room in kitchen and LR area, unless you make it a side hall or entry into the bedroom and then I would feel really cramped in the bed room area.

MTPockets

The "Main" reason we bought the 3055 was the bathroom! .... Second was the overall length.... After touring four different manufacturers plants and researching for months layouts, etc.... the 3055 was/is the ideal layout.... We would have bought the Landmark San Antonio if it had been 5 ft. shorter - It has the split bathroom..... Sooo, we upgraded some stuff and got what we wanted..... Maybe they will make a 35 ft Landmark with this 3055 floor plan?.....

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Walk thru bath is why we bought our 3600 rl....I would hate to think when we're ready to upgrade that Heartland would not have a floorplan we really want! Our model was discontinued the year after we bought it.

caissiel

Its also the reason we bought our 3500RL BC due to the Front layout with the W/D in the hall and not in front adding more pin weight for our truck and hard to access. We changed the swing of the w/d door and later the 2010 had the door swing as I changed ours. We don't like the newer 35...RLs due to living room sacrificed for larger bedroom. There are SOB's that almost have the same size Bedroom/Bath as the rest of the living spaces.

We love ours and I guess we do have a classic.

Our friend have an all in one Bath, and everyting is so crowded, the bath is crammed and the bedroom has very little place to get dressed. But Fads do influence the markets and it seam we have to go with the flow.

Well done Heartland for giving us the perfect unit, that we cannot replace and its ok with us.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
On the other hand...

We began our Heartland ownershipwith a 3055RL and although we liked it, I wanted an all-in-one bath which we found in the 3370RL Bighorn-another floorplan that was dropped. We now have the Landmark Grand Canyon with an all together bath and we love it!

RCF

We just purchased a new Bighorn, and we chose one with a fully enclosed bathroom. BUT one of the reasons was the DW did not like the sliding doors on the split bath - just felt it didn't live up to the quality of the rest of the BH's. I would have preferred a split bath, but you have to make some sacrifices sometimes and overall we love our 3585RL.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I'll be keepng my 3055. Sorry Heartland, you have a happy customer but possibly one less for a new unit.

donr827

The 3055RL was the best floor plan for us. We wanted a trailer that was not longer then 36 foot, had a small desk for the wife, rear living room where it is easy to see the tv from the recliners. The bath could have been either for us. Hard to find a smaller trailer with the desk.
Don

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I am sure the value won't go up Jim but we can hope!! As far as the bathroom it's just that a bathroom I don't live in it so I could care less as long as i have a shower and a potty that's all I need!!I love my 3055RL and I guess we will be keeping it!!

Last edited:

nscaler2

I'll be keepng my 3055. Sorry Heartland, you have a happy customer but possibly one less for a new unit.
Well, we are another customer that won't be considering another Heartland without a walk through bathroom. We happen to like ours. One of us can use the bathroom sink while the other is in the shower or the toilet. Put them all together in one room and it will take twice as long to get ready to go somewhere. We also, like others, like the use of space in a length shorter than 36 feet. I'm sorry but this is NOT progress.