Has anyone used the Electric Waste Valve System

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Has anyone used the Electric Waste Valve System on the end of there sewer dump line? I was always going to put one on my Toy Hauler, as it only had 45gl gray tank and always seemed to be full at 11pm when I was in the shower. Never fails. I like to keep the valves closed to see how many showers or how many days we can go washing dishes, so we know what we can do when we are dry camping. So I have wanted to go with electric dump valve to be able to dump it from inside and outside. Ill put a switch in the docking station and one in the control panel inside.
Whats your thoughts ?
http://www.makariosrv.com/electric-waste-valve-system-by-valterra-e1003vp/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc<br>

jbeletti

Not many with 5th wheels have had any experience with electric gate valves. Maybe Jim Gratz on his Alfa Gold.

That said, I can see where having them can be a blessing and a curse. Hit the button at the wrong time and oops.

If you're serious about trying it - give Doug Swarts a call (877-787-8833) - he invents and makes really good stuff (link) and he'd LOVE to talk to you. He's in CA too.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'll do that thanks
That's a good point and a funny thought to think of DW hitting the wrong switch inside while I'm hooking up the hose outside... I could always put 2 switches an on/off and a dump..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I'll do that thanks
That's a good point and a funny thought to think of DW hitting the wrong switch inside while I'm hooking up the hose outside... I could always put 2 switches an on/off and a dump..

A hidden On/Off :)

Another scenario is the dump-switch is hit and the cap is still on but no hose connected. Not too bad but still a mess in the line from the tanks to the combined discharge, assuming the tank valves are open already.

I say you should do this mod. We'll all get the benefit of your experience and we don't get our hands dirty :)

Do call Doug on Monday. Strap in though - he is passionate about waste management.

olcoon

A friend had them on his Cedar Creek, I think it was around 10 years old when he traded it. He loved them, as far as I know he never had any problems with them.

danemayer

I saw an electric waste valve setup in a Prevost coach. Couldn't help but wonder what happens if you have grandkids around.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had them on our 1999 Alfa Gold. The are great when they work but when they fail to work, like ours did on two occasions they are a PITA. It is difficult to open them without power and if the power (little motor) quits then you have a problem. We like the manual ones a whole lot better.

Mburtsvt

I have had them on every RV I ever owned. They are easy to add in place of the “pull” type. In 7 years I never had a failure or issue. I do add a “removable” hand valve where the hose hooks up. When we set up camp I put the hose on the end and pull the hand value just in case we had a “going down the road” leak. As of now - never had a problem. I do NOT put the switches inside the RV. They are always mounted in the UDC area. There is a cover on the face plate over the switch so it’s hard to accidentally hit the switch. The last set I had put on have an emergency ring you pull to activate if there is a motor or power failure.

So far - so good

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-E1003VP-Valve-Electric-System/dp/B004RCXC1G/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441590758&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=electric+RV+dump+values

dbbls59

A few years ago I installed a Drain Master. It worked great until there was water against it. I contacted the company and they sent me another one. I installed it and it worked the same way. With water against the valve it would not open.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks good to here your take on them
I just want to put 1 at the end of the line before the Cap, so it would be easy to get to if I did have a problem.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have had them on every RV I ever owned. They are easy to add in place of the “pull” type. In 7 years I never had a failure or issue. I do add a “removable” hand valve where the hose hooks up. When we set up camp I put the hose on the end and pull the hand value just in case we had a “going down the road” leak. As of now - never had a problem. I do NOT put the switches inside the RV. They are always mounted in the UDC area. There is a cover on the face plate over the switch so it’s hard to accidentally hit the switch. The last set I had put on have an emergency ring you pull to activate if there is a motor or power failure.

So far - so good

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-E1003VP-Valve-Electric-System/dp/B004RCXC1G/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441590758&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=electric+RV+dump+values
I like that idea to but didn't want to remove my belly pan and dig in that deep.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

A hidden On/Off :)

Another scenario is the dump-switch is hit and the cap is still on but no hose connected. Not too bad but still a mess in the line from the tanks to the combined discharge, assuming the tank valves are open already.

I say you should do this mod. We'll all get the benefit of your experience and we don't get our hands dirty :)

Do call Doug on Monday. Strap in though - he is passionate about waste management.

Jim, I'm getting a bunch of gray water coming out every time I take off the cap anyway. It must be water trapped in the line that finds its way to the cap when its rocking down the road. The valve at the end will help this issue, Electric or manual.

jbeletti

Jim, I'm getting a bunch of gray water coming out every time I take off the cap anyway. It must be water trapped in the line that finds its way to the cap when its rocking down the road. The valve at the end will help this issue, Electric or manual.

Agreed. With few exceptions, with the 8 RVs I've had in 12 years, most of them had a bit of leakage. I think most of it is low spots somewhere after the tank valves, though in some cases, I have had leaky valves that had crud impacted in the valve paddle tracks.

I too have a valve at the termination point. Mine's a 3" slip x 3" slip. I think you now have the same?

Gate Valve at Sewer Termination.jpg

JanAndBill

We had so many problems with the black tank vale when we first got our BH that I seriously thought about going with the electric valve. After reading the manufacturers recommendation on yearly service, I elected to stay with the manual valve. I did a write up on the forum of what I did in the valve. 6 months later it still operates with one finger and no leaks.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Agreed. With few exceptions, with the 8 RVs I've had in 12 years, most of them had a bit of leakage. I think most of it is low spots somewhere after the tank valves, though in some cases, I have had leaky valves that had crud impacted in the valve paddle tracks.

I too have a valve at the termination point. Mine's a 3" slip x 3" slip. I think you now have the same?

View attachment 39869
Ya Jim you and porthole are who got me started on this. LOL
Next time have the gray tanks full I will pop the hose off and put a bucket under there and see if they are leaking. I don't think it's that because the tanks are empty when I travel and still when I pop the Cap it's full of gray Water. My black tank has the blue treatment and I don't see any sign of that.

jbeletti

Ya Jim you and porthole are who got me started on this. LOL
Next time have the gray tanks full I will pop the hose off and put a bucket under there and see if they are leaking. I don't think it's that because the tanks are empty when I travel and still when I pop the Cap it's full of gray Water. My black tank has the blue treatment and I don't see any sign of that.

Probably a low spot in 1 of the gray tank lines after the valve. After driving, the water bounces out of the low spot and accumulates at the backside of the sewer cap. Gray water surprise. Which is better than a brown gravy surprise! :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Probably a low spot in 1 of the gray tank lines after the valve. After driving, the water bounces out of the low spot and accumulates at the backside of the sewer cap. Gray water surprise. Which is better than a brown gravy surprise! :)
That for sure