Hooray, I am now legal!!!!

Smitty325

I started this Class A commotion March and finally got Dave Tyler to get his Class A. I think he inspired some of you for which I am thankful. Way to go Tyler. I don't worry about law enforcement as much as insurance companies and somebody being devastated by unmerciful lawyers.
It is important to remember that the 26000 to which the law is referring is not the actual weight. It is the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) or the sum of the GVWRs of trailer and tow vehicle. The GVWR is the maximum rated weight of the unit fully loaded - passengers, fuel, food, etc. My 2015 GMC 3500HD DRW only weighs around 8000 lbs. But the GVWR is 13,000. I don't know the actual current weight of my 2016 Bighorn 3575EL but the GVWR is 16000 as were all 2016 Bighorn models. (Landmarks were 18,000 - I don't know what they are this year.) So my GCWR of 13,000 plus 16,000 is 29,000, far over the 26,000. For the last few years at least, I don't think there are any DRWs/Bighorn or Landmark combination that would be less than 29,000. You are all on board already but if you share this requirement, anybody with these combinations is going to need the Class A Exempt (California has same requirements by the way.)
I did my tests in Livingston and the lady told me after the written, there was no problem with me towing my rig down there. In Livingston, it would have been easy to get somebody but she told me not to worry about it.
I did ask about the actual license - it didn't appear to me to be any different than the CDL. The lady told me the only difference is just before the license number on the CDL, it says CDL. On the exempt, in that same location, it says only DL.
You are in Texas, right? Written test and driving test?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dykesj11

Yep. But if you’ve pulled your rig more than a few times, they aren’t much problem. Used to have to parallel park - I didn’t have to and under stand not required anymore. Back 40’ in a straight line, then drive about 5-6 miles through town and on freeway. That’s it. That was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smitty325

Yep. But if you’ve pulled your rig more than a few times, they aren’t much problem. Used to have to parallel park - I didn’t have to and under stand not required anymore. Back 40’ in a straight line, then drive about 5-6 miles through town and on freeway. That’s it. That was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So the test is 50 questions, did you have to study the whole NFL handbook?

Smitty325

I had to parallel park a big rig to get my CDL. Like I was ever going to do that.
Lord help me mine is 44ft and I have a long bed club cab Ford f350. A real challenge to do something like that. There is only 50 clearance in front of my storage space, I am 60+ feet.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I typed CDL and this stupid phone changed it, sorry

I know...this **** iPad is the same way...can’t wait to toss it over the edge into the Grand Canyon or something!

dykesj11

Chippendale

The test was 20 questions and you have to get at least 14 correct. You only have to study Chapter 14 of the driver handbook attached (http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf). You can google "Texas class a practice tests." If you get through a couple of these, you likely won't have any problem.

View attachment 56437

To show everyone how easy it is, I only missed two questions on the written test and I was told that if a person got 30 points knocked off their driver's test, they would fail. I got 4 points knocked off, he said at one intersection I stopped on top of the white line into the cross walk and that my backing was "less than stellar".

Smitty325

Smitty325

To show everyone how easy it is, I only missed two questions on the written test and I was told that if a person got 30 points knocked off their driver's test, they would fail. I got 4 points knocked off, he said at one intersection I stopped on top of the white line into the cross walk and that my backing was "less than stellar".
You know, I doubt anyone would be "stellar" unless they have Deen driving illegal for a long time. I suppose a Class A RV would require the same license, and I doubt many have one.

dykesj11

If you don’t have much experience towing or even if you do and you just want a refresher, check out RV Driving School. Around $600 and two days for two people, worth every penny. Wife and I did the course and now, she drives about a third of the time and does all the parking with me directing. They’ll take you through middle of downtown traffic, freeway, up and down hills, backing. It was a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alwaysbusy

I seldom respond to these threads as they typically go the disrespectful route through a war of words where offense is taken and people end up not acting their age. Kudos to all here for not doing so.

26k is a national weight governed by the NHTSA. Each state must abide by the standards; however, they may adopt laws more stringent at their discretion. Each state sets/decides on their particular licensing requirements. There is reciprocity throughout the US on DL. As long as one is licensed appropriately by class in the state in which they live/licensed, they are good hauling/driving throughout regardless of other state licensing laws.

In PA, the 26k GCVWR requires a non-commercial Class A. Both a written and driving test is required and one must be accompanied to the test site by a valid Class A driver in order to take the driving portion. If not, one cannot test. It’s amazing the number of those hauling that are doing so without the proper class DL. I believe this is for several reasons; however, the biggest one is the lack of enforcement. RV’s are excluded from weigh stations, and unless the officer on a traffic stop is trained in Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, the class violation will go unaddressed.

I echo George’s post having been on both sides of this issue unintentionally. For about 2 years, I thought I was good on my numbers with our 1 ton, diesel, SRW until I drug my rig across the CAT last year. Boy was I surprised and our TV was history to change out. Our ordered coach clearly ended up way heavier than the prototype weight and I clearly underestimated where I thought we would be after loaded.

Every year, the new model truck capacities are ever increasing; however, for those who have a good understanding of their trucks and coaches, in many cases it is obvious those rigs where the TV is out of balance if you will with the coach. The sad part of this are those that find their overweightedness as funny; jive at “the tow police,” shrug their overweight hauling off as not important; state their truck handles it great and they can’t even feel the coach behind them; purchase air bags and glean the thought that if their level, their good, etc. We’ve all read these and more I’m sure, but unfortunately these perspectives are flawed and not factual. Usually I exit out of these conversations, but credit to all here and George as it is a real joy to read respectful interaction between responsible folks on very very important topic.

Smitty325

I seldom respond to these threads as they typically go the disrespectful route through a war of words where offense is taken and people end up not acting their age. Kudos to all here for not doing so.

26k is a national weight governed by the NHTSA. Each state must abide by the standards; however, they may adopt laws more stringent at their discretion. Each state sets/decides on their particular licensing requirements. There is reciprocity throughout the US on DL. As long as one is licensed appropriately by class in the state in which they live/licensed, they are good hauling/driving throughout regardless of other state licensing laws.

In PA, the 26k GCVWR requires a non-commercial Class A. Both a written and driving test is required and one must be accompanied to the test site by a valid Class A driver in order to take the driving portion. If not, one cannot test. It’s amazing the number of those hauling that are doing so without the proper class DL. I believe this is for several reasons; however, the biggest one is the lack of enforcement. RV’s are excluded from weigh stations, and unless the officer on a traffic stop is trained in Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, the class violation will go unaddressed.

I echo George’s post having been on both sides of this issue unintentionally. For about 2 years, I thought I was good on my numbers with our 1 ton, diesel, SRW until I drug my rig across the CAT last year. Boy was I surprised and our TV was history to change out. Our ordered coach clearly ended up way heavier than the prototype weight and I clearly underestimated where I thought we would be after loaded.

Every year, the new model truck capacities are ever increasing; however, for those who have a good understanding of their trucks and coaches, in many cases it is obvious those rigs where the TV is out of balance if you will with the coach. The sad part of this are those that find their overweightedness as funny; jive at “the tow police,” shrug their overweight hauling off as not important; state their truck handles it great and they can’t even feel the coach behind them; purchase air bags and glean the thought that if their level, their good, etc. We’ve all read these and more I’m sure, but unfortunately these perspectives are flawed and not factual. Usually I exit out of these conversations, but credit to all here and George as it is a real joy to read respectful interaction between responsible folks on very very important topic.
Good stuff here, thanks

'Lil Guy'

The 'Lil Guy' is driving legal now. Just took my driving test and passed with flying colors. A lot longer road trip than I expected but is was easy. Anyone who travels with these 5th wheels could pass it. Both hands on wheel, check mirrors often and don't hit curbs on turns. Hardest part for me was the 2 hands on wheel. I'm use to holding a cigarette and beer while traveling plus an occasional slap in Debbie's direction..lol The instructor didn't appreciate that.
Only reason I pursued this was because I was worried that the insurance wouldn't cover an accident if not licensed correctly. I do feel better now that it's done.

ksucats

Congrats Lil'Guy. Glad you passed the driving test - my examiner was stone faced the whole drive. Had to do a full vehicle walk around, check oil, explain the coolant levels, tire pressures (last time checked as well), hitch check, then the actual drivers test. Gave instructions at the very start and then the only thing I heard from her was turn at the next corner; back up 50 feet; do a sharp backup; and then we returned to the office with only turn here, turn there, and then parallel park against a street. She then critiqued me (everything good) and when we went inside she told me - oh, you were a non-commercial test, you'll be happy to know that you just passed the CDL test if you ever decide to get one. I wondered why I was doing several of the things. Oh well, was nervous doing the parallel parking thing as I'd never done it with a trailer attached but I, luckily, had watched some u-tube videos on it some time back.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The 'Lil Guy' is driving legal now.

Hardest part for me was the 2 hands on wheel.

I'm use to holding a cigarette and beer while traveling plus an occasional slap in Debbie's direction..lol

The instructor didn't appreciate that.

Now there is the Frank we all know! :angel: