Hooray, I am now legal!!!!

'Lil Guy'

Does that mean it's legal for him to drive all over the road???

I guess so. I passed everything and have proof. I'd like to think you know I was kidding about pulling a 15K+ lb RV down the highway while drinking. Way too much defensive driving while towing a rig. Being a little stressful at times depending on the miles I drove, I do enjoy a cold one to celebrate my arrival. Hope that doesn't offend you.

Pokiejoe

I guess so. I passed everything and have proof. I'd like to think you know I was kidding about pulling a 15K+ lb RV down the highway while drinking. Way too much defensive driving while towing a rig. Being a little stressful at times depending on the miles I drove, I do enjoy a cold one to celebrate my arrival. Hope that doesn't offend you.
Only time it offends me is when you don't bring me one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I took it that you were kidding and I hope you took my comment in the same way. One of these days we're going to have to meet up. And I'll have plenty of cold ones.....

Lou_and_Bette

The 'Lil Guy' is driving legal now. Just took my driving test and passed with flying colors. A lot longer road trip than I expected but is was easy. Anyone who travels with these 5th wheels could pass it. Both hands on wheel, check mirrors often and don't hit curbs on turns. Hardest part for me was the 2 hands on wheel. I'm use to holding a cigarette and beer while traveling plus an occasional slap in Debbie's direction..lol The instructor didn't appreciate that.
Only reason I pursued this was because I was worried that the insurance wouldn't cover an accident if not licensed correctly. I do feel better now that it's done.

One other tip I received before I took my test that I found extremely helpful was to wear a hat so looking at the mirrors motion was slightly exaggerated so the tester was able to see I was checking my mirrors often.

'Lil Guy'

One other tip I received before I took my test that I found extremely helpful was to wear a hat so looking at the mirrors motion was slightly exaggerated so the tester was able to see I was checking my mirrors often.
That is a good idea. I didn't wear one and tried to make a more unnatural head movement toward the mirrors being more concerned about him noticing the movements. Basically trying to keep the mirrors in check more than normal. Oh well, it's over now.

'Lil Guy'

I took it that you were kidding and I hope you took my comment in the same way. One of these days we're going to have to meet up. And I'll have plenty of cold ones.....

Just look for the Margaritaville setup at any of the upcoming rallies and you're more than welcome to drop in for a cold one. You'll be able to say you've had a cocktail with the 'Unacceptables'.lol

Attachments

• DSC_0600.jpg
    DSC_0600.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 48

Oldelevatorman

Just got my Non-commercial Class A in California yesterday and I brought a CDL holder with me and they did ask for his license. California does have a separate pamphlet for RV's but I did study chapter 11 in the CDL book about the pre-trip inspection. That was the toughest part for me, remembering everything to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldelevatorman

If you don’t have much experience towing or even if you do and you just want a refresher, check out RV Driving School. Around $600 and two days for two people, worth every penny. Wife and I did the course and now, she drives about a third of the time and does all the parking with me directing. They’ll take you through middle of downtown traffic, freeway, up and down hills, backing. It was a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the school as well and took the instructor with me to take my driving test in CA!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just look for the Margaritaville setup at any of the upcoming rallies and you're more than welcome to drop in for a cold one. You'll be able to say you've had a cocktail with the 'Unacceptables'.lol

Here is another shot of it at night...

AltoNM-P5050729.jpg

pegmikef

But is it easier to back into a space now? LOL!!!

Gee, I don't know as there really wasn't much of a backing test. The only thing I had to do was back up 30 or 40 feet so I could increase the space between me and the truck parked to my left as at the beginning of the test I had to make a left in front of it to get to the exit to the road. I will let you know.

Oldelevatorman

Congrats! I just got my non-commercial Class A in California. They base it on GVWR of trailer. Between 10 & 15k it's just an endorsement on your Class C license with written test. Over 15k it's a written test, pre-trip inspection, skills test w/trailer and then on road driving test.

pjones1969

Congrats George and others that have gotten their endorsement already

We went out about a month ago and decided to unclutter and organize our Cyclone, as usual the garage was disorganized and driving us nuts, those patio stairs are a major PITA and we don’t even use them 99% of the time, we gave things away to other campers, took out the garage factory rug that didn’t fit anyway, threw some other gadgets away that we never used, took a few things home (I’ll throw them away when Jana isn’t looking, lol). I finally convinced her that paper or foam plates and was the way to go for our weekend warrior lifestyle..... moral of the story we got rid of most everything we decided we would never use so I’m pretty sure our rig is the lightest it’s ever going to be at the moment.

This weekend we took a trip and passed through Anna, TX and decided it was time to weigh the rig at Loves truck stop

I need to pursue the endorsement, reading this I realized I needed it anyway due to the GVWR of the combination.

Does anybody in the DFW area have opinions on what available location is best for this driving test with a 43 ft trailer?

TexasTraveler2017

Congrats George and others that have gotten their endorsement already

We went out about a month ago and decided to unclutter and organize our Cyclone, as usual the garage was disorganized and driving us nuts, those patio stairs are a major PITA and we don’t even use them 99% of the time, we gave things away to other campers, took out the garage factory rug that didn’t fit anyway, threw some other gadgets away that we never used, took a few things home (I’ll throw them away when Jana isn’t looking, lol). I finally convinced her that paper or foam plates and was the way to go for our weekend warrior lifestyle..... moral of the story we got rid of most everything we decided we would never use so I’m pretty sure our rig is the lightest it’s ever going to be at the moment.

This weekend we took a trip and passed through Anna, TX and decided it was time to weigh the rig at Loves truck stop

I need to pursue the endorsement, reading this I realized I needed it anyway due to the GVWR of the combination.

Does anybody in the DFW area have opinions on what available location is best for this driving test with a 43 ft trailer?

I’ve also been looking for the best place near me (just east of Denton) and I think the new driver license office in Carrollton is supposed to have lanes for commercial vehicle testing. I need to call them and find out if the driving and written tests can be done same day or separately.

pjones1969

I’ve also been looking for the best place near me (just east of Denton) and I think the new driver license office in Carrollton is supposed to have lanes for commercial vehicle testing. I need to call them and find out if the driving and written tests can be done same day or separately.

Good catch, I totally missed the Carrollton location on the list.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/cdlExemptVehTestSites.htm

I saw Hurst and Garland which didn’t excite me at all.

Thanks