How is it pulling these 3 axles toy haulers??

Securityman

Hello everyone , need some advice , looking at the 4100 cyclone , we love the layout . The thing is I am coming from a 30 foot bumper pull toy hauler with a Toyota Tundra , all together was 50 foot long . I was going to trade my tundra in for a 3500 dodge drw . Has anyone moved up to a trailer this size , I never pulled a 5th wheel , how long is this set up with a truck ? Does it become a pain to drive ? I keep going back and fourth between a 2 axle and a 3 axle cyclone , I was looking at raptor but after checking out the keystone forum it was one problem after the next every other thread . Any help would be great as I just sold my toy hauler today and I am not going to trade the truck until I see what trailer we go with 1st, don't want to regret any choices as this will be a expensive truck and camper , thanks

OEFVET

Hi Securityman,

I too moved up from a 30' travel trailer to my current 45' Cyclone 4200. As long as you have a new DRW diesel truck, you will not have any issues pulling. Yes the total length is over 60' but as long as you remember to swing wide because you have a trailer back there you will not have a problem. I have pulled off into small diner parking lots and again as long as you go slow and keep checking your mirrors you will be fine. If the size intimidates you I would recommend staying on main roads until you get more comfortable.

Good luck in your decision.

jnbhobe

Any thing that big should be pulled with a dually, a 5th wheeler is easier to pull than a bumper pull.

scottyb

Hello everyone , need some advice , looking at the 4100 cyclone , we love the layout . The thing is I am coming from a 30 foot bumper pull toy hauler with a Toyota Tundra , all together was 50 foot long . I was going to trade my tundra in for a 3500 dodge drw . Has anyone moved up to a trailer this size , I never pulled a 5th wheel , how long is this set up with a truck ? Does it become a pain to drive ? I keep going back and fourth between a 2 axle and a 3 axle cyclone , I was looking at raptor but after checking out the keystone forum it was one problem after the next every other thread . Any help would be great as I just sold my toy hauler today and I am not going to trade the truck until I see what trailer we go with 1st, don't want to regret any choices as this will be a expensive truck and camper , thanks

I pulled a 4100 for 17K mi. With my F350 CC DRW it was 61' bumper to bumper. 3 axles have a tendency to scrub if you turn tight. No getting around that. However, they are necessary if you want a big gargage and a decent size cabin. Just make sure you have quality tires and they will do fine. I ran Michellin XPS Ribs on mine. You just have to plan ahead and adjust.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
You will enjoy pulling the 5th wheel a lot more than the TT, because the weight is distributed over the top of the axle, and not on the bumper giving you a much better ride quality with a lot less sway. You will be quite a bit longer with the 5th wheel, but keep in mind that the 5th wheel and truck overlap for a good 5 feet, which reduces the overall length when towing. The major thing to keep in mind is swing wider, and a 4100 will be much heavier slowing acceleration and braking. Overall I am certain you will enjoy towing the 5th wheel a lot more.

farside291

Right hand turns got me the first time. I didn't know that the fifthwheel would track that far inside the turn. Caught a curb but stopped before hitting it and backed up. Now I keep the right spot mirror angled down so on those right turns I can see the wheels on the trailer. Mines not a toy hauler but 42 - 44 foot same thing. You get used to it.

Jim-Lynn

You will enjoy the pulling. I am 63' and do not have a issue. Just made a trip fron the Toronto area to South Dakota & back in a week. 70 mph both ways and hawled like a dream. And the surprising thing I have Towmax tires as well. Just take it easy on turners - have fun
jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We towed a 3 axle Alfa Gold 5er (40 foot) for 5 years without incident. The only thing you will find is the center tire will twist on it axis when making sharp turns either forward or backward. This will put extra stress on the sidewall. We ran Michelin ATs on the unit which are E rated tires.

Miltp920

Have you not read the TOWMAX horror stories. I think you may be on borrowed time. Especially pulling at 70 mph. IMHO....look for the new post..."Finally got me"...maybe triple axles spread out the weight and do not suffer blowouts? Any triple axle towmax blow stories out there?

You will enjoy the pulling. I am 63' and do not have a issue. Just made a trip fron the Toronto area to South Dakota & back in a week. 70 mph both ways and hawled like a dream. And the surprising thing I have Towmax tires as well. Just take it easy on turners - have fun
jim

Securityman

Thanks everyone for the replies !! Some good info to think about . I may be thinking about a 3110 since its 2 axle and a bit shorter . And to us that's going to be a huge improvement from what we had !! And also I don't know how much I like a dually truck , I would just get a 3500 long bed ram srw , I think payload is around 4100-4330 lbs depending on options , would that be enough truck for the 3110 weights ?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks everyone for the replies !! Some good info to think about . I may be thinking about a 3110 since its 2 axle and a bit shorter . And to us that's going to be a huge improvement from what we had !! And also I don't know how much I like a dually truck , I would just get a 3500 long bed ram srw , I think payload is around 4100-4330 lbs depending on options , would that be enough truck for the 3110 weights ?

One thing I forgot to mention is we pulled our 40' 3 axle Alfa Gold 5er with a 1999 Ford F350 SINGLE axle for 5 years without issue. The Alfa weighed 16200 and had a pin weight of 2850. You will find the 3 axle units will usually have a lower pin weight.

alex00

My advice would be get the floor plan that suits your needs, and a length that gets you into the spots you want. I would personally not let double or triple axles weigh in my decision. Outside of tire replacement cost, I have not found anything that different from the double axle trailers I towed before.

I've been in DRW trucks for over ten years and wouldn't go back. Once you get used to the way it parks you're fine. It's no different than a SRW of the same length. If a parking spot isn't wide enough it's probably too short as well. I've learned to back my DRW into most spots to make driving out easier. The tailgate camera helps too.

Get a trailer you like and don't feel like you have to settle because it needs a dually or has triple axles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We don't have a toy hauler, but there is something we have learned through past experiences. Settling for something you think will be adequate, but are not in love with, will get expensive. Many have discovered that they don't fall in love with something over time like they think they will if they just settle. Inside they figure out they should have bought, usually bigger, the first time. In boats, it's called two-foot-itus. lol

Get what you really want and equip it with things you want now and things you could do without, but boy they would be nice. Do it now because it's less expensive now than in a couple of years when you find yourself at an RV show or a rally looking at what you wish you had bought.

I bet you decide you want different toys in the future and your lifestyle will change as you get older. You will find yourself looking at the new plans and features. The bug will bite at some point and you will find yourself sitting in a new rig with a salesman and some paperwork. Trust me! You can put this off longer if you over-buy now.

So so our advice, get as much of what you want and what you will grow into as you can afford. Don't skimp on the truck. I found our dually easier to park than our SRW is now. Something about its turning radius.... Mark doesn't have that issue. Anyway, Heartlands are addictive and two-foot-itus is an expensive affliction! There is no cure, only prevention. :cool:

Good luck with your search.
Kristy

bobca1

Yes the 3110 tows fine with SRW. That's what I have a 2015 SRW RAM 3500 and tow a 3110 (which is 16k GVWR) and I am under max payload capacity. Ride quality seems fine to me. I have about 5k miles experience now with this setup and no concerns or regrets - mostly freeway driving out west with plenty of hills, curves, and wind. I use my truck as a part time daily commuter (when not riding on 2 wheels) so DRW was not practical for me I would not be able to get it into parking garages around here in LA. If you are going with a RAM get sure to get the Aisin and auto level suspension.

If you don't really need a 12' garage or the 2nd bathroom then the 3110 may work out just fine for you. For me, the 3110 had the best floorplan in the SRW towable cyclones. I have 2 kids (6 and 12) and its got plenty of space for the 4 of us. We were cooped up inside for days this past memorial day due to weather and we all survived :)

I also experienced the huge improvement I moved up from a 1500 RAM hemi and a 20ft bumper pull, amazing what a difference it makes towing with a truck that is designed for towing!!!

2TrakR

Any triple axle towmax blow stories out there?

Ours went ~ 2 years old.

I find the triple axle to be easier to pull, they seem to ride more level (less "bouncing" on the truck) and more stable in crosswind as well, compared to tandem axles.
A little more grunt needed to turn sharply, but never really notice it in the truck, but do see it on soft ground (ruts!).

Securityman

Some great info !! You guys are awesome with quick answers and experience !! This is a very active forum compared to other rv forum I was on for cruiser fun finder my last toy hauler . Is the 4100 second bathroom tied into the same sew. Hose or is there a separate connection for that black tank ? Does anyone seem like the queen bed in the 3110 is on the small size to sleep on with your wife ? I may just let her have that and I will sleep in the loft anyway !! Lol and my 2 kids can stay on the bunks !! I really don't think I need a second bathroom and black tank to play with ! So many decisions to make !! I got a trip to Disney wildness park in sept too , so I got to get moving on this , camper and new truck !!

Jim-Lynn

Have you not read the TOWMAX horror stories. I think you may be on borrowed time. Especially pulling at 70 mph. IMHO....look for the new post..."Finally got me"...maybe triple axles spread out the weight and do not suffer blowouts? Any triple axle towmax blow stories out there?
I have read all the stuff on the Tow Max, and have kept my fingers crossed all summer. I did install the Valor tire monitor, and it has been great. I will be replacing the tires this fall, just not sure what to get as there are so many options.

scottyb

Is the 4100 second bathroom tied into the same sew. Hose or is there a separate connection for that black tank ?

The 2nd bath has it's own tank and dump valve. BTW, the lavatory also drains into that black tank too. I think they are even offering a sprayer for that tank now, which is a huge improvement.