How is it pulling these 3 axles toy haulers??

tomsws6

I just went from a 30+ bumper pool early this year to a cyclone 4200.... It is night and day when pulling. The fifth wheel is so much more stable as its more of an extention of the truck. It may be long but remember that 4ft sit over the truck itself.. backing it up into a spot surprislngly was easier too and your truck is more stable as you have the weight over the axle instead of hanging off the back of the truck. And ofcourse a DRW is the only way to go. Just the gain in interior headroom was amazing! It was like a breath of fresh air.

Securityman

So with a 5th wheel there is no sway when 18 wheelers pass you going down the highway ? Like that pulling feeling as they pass by you like a bumper pull toy hauler ?

bobca1

So with a 5th wheel there is no sway when 18 wheelers pass you going down the highway ? Like that pulling feeling as they pass by you like a bumper pull toy hauler ?

With that new 3500 you will be passing the 18 wheelers ;)
When they do pass, I notice it, but nothing like a bumper pull since the sway effect is essentially eliminated with a 5th wheel. You will really notice a difference with cross winds too. In my previous 1/2 ton with trailer in tow it was a white nuckle adventure whenever the wind picked up, now its so much more stable.

oscar

Nope..... the tri axle/dually minus the twisting motion from the distance from the bumper hitch to the axle makes for something that can only be described as "running on rails".

Securityman

Man that sound nice !!! Maybe I will go big and get the 4100 then !!! Lol , what is the 4100 like 6 feet longer anyway , it can't be that much worst can it ?

pharmafrog

SMan,

Went from a Keystone Laredo 326LT to a 4100. Never looked back. Buy a dually, get the one you want and have fun. It is not a huge difference in investment, at least what i was looking at. You will not be disappointed in the 4100. UPGRADE THE TIRES. You will hear people say "I ran on TOWMAX for years", mine didn't. ~5000 miles and "BOOM". You will love the 4100, the room, the room.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
FYI

All of the new models being built for the last few months have Sailun G- Rated tires.

oscar

Yes it tracks nice, but it IS longer. I play with the big trucks. Same size, same speed. They signal me in, I do the same for them. Go for truck stops and go with the big guys, or Flying J's with RV islands. You can box yourself into a corner you cannot drive out of forward in smaller stations. Always think ahead. I've had to have the wife stop traffic while I backed out of a station that looked like it had an exit strategy but turned out not to. Lol. Also, try to avoid tight turns. They are hard on your sidewalls. I'll do an extra loop if necessary to keep the turns wide. Lastly, the tail end swings out on tighter turns, a lot. One look at my ladder and you'll know how I know this...... :p

kategrass

This wasn't my thread, but I want to thank all for your responses! We are just starting to look at options to upgrade. We want a FW TH and are looking at the Cyclone or Road Warrior. Currently pull a 35 foot TT with a 3500 C/C L/B DRW and was concerned about whether moving to a 3 axle 40'+ would be a pain to maneuver. You guys have assuaged my fears. We full time so I do not want to settle for less than what we want.

Securityman

Thanks everyone for your input . After looking at them all today back and fourth and my wife really liked the 3110 so we put a deposit on it to hold it . It is 2015 model so I am concerned about the tires , can I tow it home which will be about 800 miles on them ? Will they hold up on a empty trailer ? We just love the lay out , and these 5ths seem big for sure compared to our 27 foot fun finder toy hauler , the 4100 and 4200 are just massive in person to me . Honestly I would be a little worried towing something that big . I know it's not much bigger then the 3110 . They said they could swap out the 4 tires , not to cheap but think it's the best thing to do . Also do I need airbags to tow this trailer , I got a new 2015 3500 ram dually , I don't have the auto level system on it . Thanks again everyone

jeffdee

Thanks everyone for your input . After looking at them all today back and fourth and my wife really liked the 3110 so we put a deposit on it to hold it . It is 2015 model so I am concerned about the tires , can I tow it home which will be about 800 miles on them ? Will they hold up on a empty trailer ? We just love the lay out , and these 5ths seem big for sure compared to our 27 foot fun finder toy hauler , the 4100 and 4200 are just massive in person to me . Honestly I would be a little worried towing something that big . I know it's not much bigger then the 3110 . They said they could swap out the 4 tires , not to cheap but think it's the best thing to do . Also do I need airbags to tow this trailer , I got a new 2015 3500 ram dually , I don't have the auto level system on it . Thanks again everyone

The wife and I have a 2014 Cyclone 3110. I only got about 14 months or 1200 miles on my tires before one separated on a cold, rainy day. I replaced the four and the spare with F-rated Hercules tires. They don't lose air between trips we take it out once per month camping. We are leaving at noon tomorrow for a camping trip this weekend.

BTW, I upgraded my 2010 F250 Super Duty to a 2015 F350 DRW Super Duty 8 months ago. The 3110 is a dream to tow now. I will never tow a fifth wheel again with an SRW truck.

You will like the 3110!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jeff where are yall headed? Don't forget we have a rally down in new Iberia over Halloween plus on next spring at Cajun palms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Securityman

Hey Jeff , do you have airbags on your truck ? And does the 3110 weight the rear down to much ? I am trying to decide if I need to install airbags before riding 14 hours to go pick it up. Thanks

jeffdee

Hey Jeff , do you have airbags on your truck ? And does the 3110 weight the rear down to much ? I am trying to decide if I need to install airbags before riding 14 hours to go pick it up. Thanks
Thanks to the poor condition of Louisiana interstates I put them on my F250. It only took 20 psi to eliminate surging. Yesterday coming here to the campground the RV was surging on a bad stretch of I-10. I guess I will be putting them on my new F350 DRW. There is no question the rear springs are stronger than F250 SRW rear springs but air bags do a good job of controlling spring bounce. You should have no problem towing without air bags. Rear springs on a DRW are more than adequate to support a 3110. Also you will be towing empty. After you tow loaded you will know if you need airbags. I like a smooth and stable ride at 60 mph. When it starts surging on a rough stretch of road I just slow down. The majority of trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph.

Congrats and good luck. Make the dealer do a good PDI.

Securityman

Ok everyone , thanks for the help , ended up getting a 2015 3500 Ram drw , I got it with the 5th wheel prep and pretty much loaded , nicest truck I ever owned !! Love the truck. And after going back and fourth we ended up with a 2015 3110 cyclone , my wife and me loved the layout the most and all the storage !! Compared to the last camper this thing is not camping , it's like having a second house !!! So I am going to get into a few issues I had on the 1st trip in another thread call " my 1st trip to Disney in my cyclone" thanks again for everyone's help.

Securityman

Ok , I think I lost my mind !!! Lol I haven't even had this 3110 for a year yet but came across a new 4100 that we really like and thinking of trading this one in on it , good price on it also . So now I am thinking ever since I have been towing this camper now moving up to the 4100 isn't going to be to bad , just swing wide in turns a little bit more , right ?? Lol
and the other concern I have is backing it up my driveway and pulling out of it , didn't know if having 3 axles is going to really stress the tires to much , if I can even do it !! Lol

Any advice ? Should I just be happy and keep this one ? Am I going to get hosed On trade in ?

Thanks

jeffdee

The wife and I looked at the 4113 having a similar floor plan to the 3110. It has one more axle, 5 more feet in length, more garage with another bathroom. The 3110 trade in value would be below $50k, there would be a monthly note again, and I would have to enlarge the driveway apron at the street.

The 3110 is meeting all our needs for camping. We are going to keep it.

OEFVET

One thing to keep in mind when upgrading to a triple axle. The middle axle is the pivot axle. You will see when you make turns especially when space is not available for wide turns. I'm not saying its a problem just a completely different type of marks left on roadway, gravel, and grass. Good luck with your decision.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

Atvmos

Hello we just picked up a 2017 4100 and I am pulling it with a 2014 ram 3500 Megacab 4 x 4..I ordered the 4.11 years, Aisin transmission and added a airlift airbag system. Truck pulls this 4100 with no issues and you have to be careful in tight situations and plan your route and fuel stops..As far as camper goes, we ordered ours fully loaded except for dual pane windows and we love it so far.

Sawdocmd

I went from an Open range 34' to a cyclone 4100 with a F-350 drw 4x4. The cyclone actually tows better than the lighter open range. Outside of acceleration I really didn't notice much of a difference in how I drive. Slightly wider turns and a little more space to back up. I bought a back up camera for the rig. It really helps. I couldn't be happier with my rig. Btw. On my recent trip to Yellowstone my wife drove the rig. It was the first time she had ever pulled anything. She handled it great and getting through truck stops weren't any issue for her. Buy the rig you love regardless of size and you'll never look back! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk