how much tire presure

hoefler

What is the pressure indicated on the tire?? I ALWAYS run the pressure indicated on the sidewall, ALWAYS!

Sniper

Always run the Pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Check and adjust air pressure when the tire is cold. Early mornings are a great time to check and adjust the air pressure because it's usually the coolest time of the day.

Bogie

Pressure listed on the tire. And I highly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system. I use a TST 507.

Birchwood

There is a tire information sticker usually on the left side of your RV.If the RV still has the same grade of tire when it was manufactured you can use this information.Its important the tires are kept at the recommended psi and keep in mind that 5psi means 250 lbs carrying capacity.Also the psi values vary with temperature and when they say cold tire pressure it means room temperature so set the pressure when its around 70 F or 20C.

JanAndBill

There is a tire information sticker usually on the left side of your RV.If the RV still has the same grade of tire when it was manufactured you can use this information.Its important the tires are kept at the recommended psi and keep in mind that 5psi means 250 lbs carrying capacity.Also the psi values vary with temperature and when they say cold tire pressure it means room temperature so set the pressure when its around 70 F or 20C.

X2. The sidewall pressure is the "maximum" for the tire and may not be appropriate for your load

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader

danemayer

Something to keep in mind is that weight is not evenly distributed. One tire may be carrying hundreds of pounds more than the next. If your sidewall calls for 80 PSI and you inflate to 70 PSI because your trailer is lightly loaded, you might be under-inflated on one or more tires due to uneven loading.

The simplest and safest thing is to set the tire pressure to the Cold Max as shown on the sidewall, measured when tires are cool, ideally at 70 (F) outside, and not in direct sun.

If you've upgraded tires to a higher load capacity, like going from GY 614 (3750 lbs @ 110 PSI) to GY 114 (4805 lbs @ 125 PSI), you probably don't want to inflate the 114s all the way to 125 PSI. You'd look up Goodyear's load table and perhaps set the pressure to a lower number that provides higher load capacity than your old 614s, but not all the way to 4805 lbs.

dlw930

I don't know that the recommendations would be any different, but most people I know run LT's instead of ST's. And none of this really makes sense unless you have a reasonable idea of the loads on your tires, which is one reason I'm running through the weigh-in at the national rally next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleLion

Trailer tires are ALWAYS run at the PSI that is indicated on the side of the tire. Any less pressure than that will flex the tire and reduce it's life. As it was mentioned before best temperature to check pressure is at 70 degrees.

That's not quite correct. Goodyear has a very good page on this http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx. You can find the Goodyear tire inflation information here: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation_guide_nov112014.pdf.

I've come to realize that tires are the largest source of "opinions" on RV websites and forums. The bottom line is that you should follow the tire manufacturer's instructions. After all, they are the ones who have to compensate you for a tire failure, not the folks offering opinions.

lwmcguir

That's not quite correct. Goodyear has a very good page on this http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx. You can find the Goodyear tire inflation information here: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation_guide_nov112014.pdf.

I've come to realize that tires are the largest source of "opinions" on RV websites and forums. The bottom line is that you should follow the tire manufacturer's instructions. After all, they are the ones who have to compensate you for a tire failure, not the folks offering opinions.

No one with many trailers and varying loads changes their tire pressure accordingly. There are more reasons to run the stated PSIG rather than a lower value.