I'm going nuts!!!

imchud

Hey all,
Well we are back from the 1 1/2 weeks of our maiden voyage, and although things went fairly well and we are very pleased with our 3385 there were a few issues... We had a water leak in the storage bay from the hot water heater by-pass valve, which besides being a pain in the butt, I was able to fix in a small amount of time... There was also a few very small issues, like a drawer guide not locking or holding in the drawer when traveling, just a few dumb things like that... But the one real major problem I had was with the A/C, it worked fine up to the last two days, then it started to act up... The compressor would come on for a short time befor the blower started?? Then after awhile when the A/C blower would shut down the compressor would stay on, and not just for a minute or two, it would stay on for about 20 to 30 minutes... Then the last time (before its death) the compressor wouldn't shut off at all, no matter what I did, I turned off the switch, I even tried to turn it off at the A/C breaker and it still kept running., I think the thing was poszest... After about 1 1/2 hours of the compressor running I took off the A/C cover and found a wire harness that I was able to un-plug and it finally shut down... It was so bizarre that I just had to laugh while my wife cried, she was convinced we got a lemon... I then pulled out the computer and got on the Heartland form and let her read about Heartland and how satisfied all you owners are with your coaches and how Heartland stands behind their products... I also told her we are lucky it happened now and not a year from now when our 1 year is up... So a long story short, we both love our B/H 3385, it goes in for service this Thursday to be fixed, they said they will have it for about 1 1/2 weeks, then its back for another few camping weekends...
Another question, how many of you are seasonal campers, do you keep your coaches in one spot for the summer or do you pull it all over the place... My wife and I do the weekend thing and a few vacations during the year all in different locations... This next year we are thinking of trying a seasonal site, so I just wasted to get your opinion what works for you...
Thank you all for your help and encouragement...

Tom

jbeletti

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update on your voyage. Sorry to hear about your AC. Should be an easy fix - even if it means replacing the unit.

Regarding seasonal sites, we keep our unit on a seasonal site all year long outside of Chicago. But we rarely camp in the unit there except the night before a trip. So for the most part, we use our site as a storage location only. The benefit to us is that we have power and water there, it is safer than in a storage lot and should we want to, we can weekend camp there.

Jim

My 2 cents as a new owner of a Heartland product (2005 Landmark Golden gate). This forum/website is terrific - has been awesome helping me understand and "fix" some problems the previous owners just neglected to address.
Talking about problems is the only way we can share and address "fixes" - lets not look at it as a negative. To me, this forum is a plus for buying a Heartland - not at all a negative.

jbeletti

Hi Jack,

We agree with you that the forum, while it has both positive and negative posts on it, is a "net-positive" for prospective owners, current owners and Heartland.

You've been here for a week and have already found that we are all here to share with each other and care for each other. This both in issues related to owning and maintaining an RV and in issues related to the RVing lifestyle.

Thanks for "getting it" Jack and thanks for joining us.

Jim

PS: I have a soft spot for classic LM owners as I owned a 2005 and used it for 3 seasons. Loved it! Take yours and "make it yours".

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey all,
Another question, how many of you are seasonal campers, do you keep your coaches in one spot for the summer or do you pull it all over the place... My wife and I do the weekend thing and a few vacations during the year all in different locations... This next year we are thinking of trying a seasonal site, so I just wasted to get your opinion what works for you...

Tom
Tom, as full timers, we have aseasonal site in WI that we stay for the summer. We don't travel too much due to fuel prices and relatives. We do some long weekend trips when we can. We spend WInters in Texas right now and when traveling in between we take in as much as we can afford. Next year I'll be getting Social Security. That will allow us to do more traveling. I can't wait!

bigredtruck

About the seasonal camping - we booked a spot last October at our favourite campground (Wildwood Resort near Bellingham, WA). It was fabulous and we met a lot of great people that we never met when we were only there occasionally. We have since bought a 'permanent' site nearby where we are able to use the camper all year round and we are very excited about that as well. The best thing about have a perm spot for your rig is there is so much less to think about when you just want to get away. We can leave the trailer stocked, so we don't have to shop every time or load up the trailer. If it weren't for our campsite, we would have to pay for storage and wouldn't be able to plug in or anything. Also important for us is the kids feeling like they belong and meeting possible lifelong friends outside of our own, very closeknit neighbourhood.
We still plan on pulling the trailer out a couple of times a year to go exploring. our site is only an hour away (across the border) so fairly easy to pick up and go.

Hey all,
Well we are back from the 1 1/2 weeks of our maiden voyage, and although things went fairly well and we are very pleased with our 3385 there were a few issues... We had a water leak in the storage bay from the hot water heater by-pass valve, which besides being a pain in the butt, I was able to fix in a small amount of time... There was also a few very small issues, like a drawer guide not locking or holding in the drawer when traveling, just a few dumb things like that... But the one real major problem I had was with the A/C, it worked fine up to the last two days, then it started to act up... The compressor would come on for a short time befor the blower started?? Then after awhile when the A/C blower would shut down the compressor would stay on, and not just for a minute or two, it would stay on for about 20 to 30 minutes... Then the last time (before its death) the compressor wouldn't shut off at all, no matter what I did, I turned off the switch, I even tried to turn it off at the A/C breaker and it still kept running., I think the thing was poszest... After about 1 1/2 hours of the compressor running I took off the A/C cover and found a wire harness that I was able to un-plug and it finally shut down... It was so bizarre that I just had to laugh while my wife cried, she was convinced we got a lemon... I then pulled out the computer and got on the Heartland form and let her read about Heartland and how satisfied all you owners are with your coaches and how Heartland stands behind their products... I also told her we are lucky it happened now and not a year from now when our 1 year is up... So a long story short, we both love our B/H 3385, it goes in for service this Thursday to be fixed, they said they will have it for about 1 1/2 weeks, then its back for another few camping weekends...

Tom

Tom - Two years ago we bought a lot at an established RV Park here in North GA - on the creek. $300 a year homeowners fee with free water, lawn care, WiFi, etc. Just pay our own electric. Was paying $40 a month for storage in our home area of Pensacola. We had decided prior to the gas price hikes that we would use it more at a semi-perm site than pulling it around. Working great for us and our lifestyle/needs. Just upgraded from our 30-foot tag-along Coachman to a 36.5 -foot Landmark fifth wheel. Don't even have a truck to pull it - so we are more than seasonal - we are anchored.
Jack

imchud

Another quick question regarding seasonal sites... We are looking at $1600 to $1900 for a 6 month season, which includes Water/sewer and metered electric, I just wanted to compare with what you guys are finding... Also, my wife brought up a good question in regards to the seasonal sites, if we are using the camper for weekend use and for a our two to three weeks vacation use, do you keep the FRIG on for the entire season ?? or do you shut it down when your not there., Thanks....

Tom

jbeletti

Tom,

Your rate is inline with what we pay for the entire year. In our CG, we don't have to move the unit off for the 6 month winter - we just leave it on the same site for storage.

Power is on all year and we do leave the refer on AC power the 6 month camping season.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Tom,
Great to hear your rig is doing well, except that pesky A/C but that should be an easy fix.

This year has been the first year that we have elected to keep our camper onsite at the local Thousand Trails Campground. We actually pay by the month as we do like to take off and go to other places. Even though I do have a concrete pad and electric at the house for the rig, I do like keeping it at the campground. In years past I would hookup on Thursday and take it down, set it up and maybe stay the night or return home. The campground is only 20 minutes away. Then hookup again on Sunday and bring it home. Well this year has been nice keeping it there because there have been quite a few weekends where it rained on and off and if I had to hookup and go I probably wouldn't have because of the rain. Since we keep it there now all we have to do is drive down, put out the slides and take it easy. Really really nice and convenient.

Good luck,
Mark

Birchwood

There are thousands of Heartland owners with no problems but you will not see a posting from them.
Also, many of the postings from Heartland owners that do have problems are self inflicted.Enjoy your
Bighorn an it will treat you well !