Is it OK to jack up slide in order to install new flooring under roller?

beardedone

Beardedone
In the next couple of weeks I will be stripping out the lino in our Landmark which split down the middle of the trailer. I plan on installing Allure flooring but I would like to jack the slide up enough to remove the old lino and install the new stuff. Has anyone done this and if so, how did it work for you? This is the kitchen slide so it is heavy and I would probably lift one end at a time to do this. All comments and suggestions are welcome.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have jacked a slide up in the past, although for a different reason. I placed a 2x6 about two feet long between the slide and my bottle jack near the edge. I had no problems. You will have to look at the top of the slide to see how much room you have to raise it up.
Good luck with your project and please take some pictures of your progress. We would like to see that, as it sounds like a good project. It may help someone in the future.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gerry, if you retract the slide just a couple of inches, it may raise the inner edge just enough to give you the room you need. Check it out...
On edit, I thought Allure wasn't recommended for RV use? We've put laminate (from HomeD) in our kitchen area and it's been great but we never see temperature extremes like you do. The laminate we used had the attached backing which make it very easy to install. This brings up another question, How will you secure the laminate at the edges by the slide outs?

Bobby A

I have had a couple leno changes done at the factory and have watched them do it. They remove the slideout. I know that is not an option for a DIY. If I recall the only glue they use is a little around the vents and the rest is stapled around the edges where the carpeting is and also stapled under the slideout, that might be the tricky part. Good luck, and post pics of the process.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the replies. Ray, that was a good idea. I will check to see if the slide tilts enough to get under it. If not then I will jack up one end at a time as I work under it. I know that Allegro isn't recommended for RV's but several people have used it successfully so I am going to try. Because of current issues I will not be able to get to the project for several weeks, but I will take photos and then update this post. I just finished my sewer accessory compartment the other day which was a higher priority in order to get the rubbermaid out of the storage department.