It Pays to Look Around

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So today I'm crawling around looking things over in preparation for our trip to Elkhart tomorrow morning.
I noticed a nut that looked out of place.
Closer examination revealed that I had a broken spring hanger wet bolt.
Fortunately I had a new set waiting for me to install sometime this summer.
Glad I have Level Up, half hour later I was cleaning my tools.
Attached are a couple of pics.
Before the repair, after and pics of the broken bolt. Take note of the position where the break took place.

Peace
Dave
uploadfromtaptalk1399161010780.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399161050306.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399161091186.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399161139091.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399161210463.jpg

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave,
Wow, that just sheared itself into two "half wet bolts". Thanks for the heads up. Now I'll have to take a look at mine. Trace

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll bet it would. I'll have to find a sponsor first though.

Peace
Dave

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Here are a few sponsors I know of VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER AND AMEX. They never say no.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ken used to always yell at me for crawling under the rig...but after finding several scary things, i.e., bubbled tires, broken springs, sheared hangers...he finally gave up...LOL!! Never hurts to check things out....

jbeletti

Dave,

Are you bringing the failed bolt to Indiana? Be nice to give it to the supplier for failure analysis. And maybe a replacement :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

Are you bringing the failed bolt to Indiana? Be nice to give it to the supplier for failure analysis. And maybe a replacement :)
Yes, it is in a baggie and I plan to give Lippert a call and or visit tomorrow.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
How does that type of failure happen?
Good question. I don't know but I'm hoping that if I can speak to an engineer or metallurgist at Lippert I will find out.
It may be that the metal was flawed or it was hardened too much making it brittle.
I know of a couple of people that have discovered a missing bolt in the same place. At least one caused tire damage.
Since those people didn't have the bolt, there is no way of telling if the nut came off and the bolt worked its way out or if the bolt broke.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Dave - I have a meeting at Lippert on Wednesday. I can take it in with me and ask for it to be tested.

wdk450

How does that type of failure happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I noticed in the photo is that the bolt sheared at the hole drilled through the side of it to get the grease to the outside of the bolt from the center channel hole. This would be a load bearing weak spot in the metal.

Maybe an argument for Never Fail Bushings and original, solid, bushing bolts.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just got the IS installed about 3 weeks ago. All of the bushing in the springs were damaged. Guess that could cause a wobble in the spring hanging end causing the bolt to break. Just a thought. We are glad we got ours replaced with the IS before any problems developed.

dave10a

Were these factory installed wet bolts or after market? Also were they grade 5 or 8 bolts? Heartland did not install wet bolts on my trailer and I not have seen any wet bolts on Heartland trailers at the RV shows.

dave10a

I just looked at my factory installed hanger bolts. Gawd they are grade 2 while the equalizer is grade 5. What is interesting is the bolts holding the leveler jacks are grade 8. Could it be that this is another corner manufacturers cut to maximize their profits over safety? It is hard to understand why they put grade 2 bolts in high stress areas like suspension. My truck uses grade 8 in those areas.

ParkIt

I pretty much treat the BC like one of my older Jeeps - check the bolts, bushings, shackles, wheel bearings etc. monthly even though it only is getting moved one round trip a year (so far).
Sometimes the grade is marked properly but the actual part isn't tested - a hair fracture from the factory can lead to disaster.
Better to hear you found it now Cookie, would hate to think of what post would have come up if you hadn't checked before pulling out of the driveway!

And since I haven't been here much lately, could someone point me to "IS" acronym? Pretty sure my brain doesn't have it right.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just looked at my factory installed hanger bolts. Gawd they are grade 2 while the equalizer is grade 5. What is interesting is the bolts holding the leveler jacks are grade 8. Could it be that this is another corner manufacturers cut to maximize their profits over safety? It is hard to understand why they put grade 2 bolts in high stress areas like suspension. My truck uses grade 8 in those areas.

Ok I will confess my ignorance. Tell me how do you tell the difference in bolt grades and what do the grades mean? Is an 8 better than a 2? is 1 the worst and 10 the best? Educate me please.