It Pays to Look Around

jbeletti

Ok I will confess my ignorance. Tell me how do you tell the difference in bolt grades and what do the grades mean? Is an 8 better than a 2? is 1 the worst and 10 the best? Educate me please.

Jim,

Check this resource for grades. That's a start. Others will have to weigh in on why one is better than another and when to use which.

Lance & Jo

Finally got around to installing the never adjust brakes this weekend and discovered that my wet bolts look to be stronger than yours but since I already have the jacks and blocks out I might as well change the spring hanger!

DSC01353.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Were these factory installed wet bolts or after market? Also were they grade 5 or 8 bolts?
These were not factory installed but they were installed by Lippert when the coach was two weeks old.
They are grade 5.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got around to installing the never adjust brakes this weekend and discovered that my wet bolts look to be stronger than yours but since I already have the jacks and blocks out I might as well change the spring hanger!

View attachment 29594

Yeow, that don't look too good either.
If your going to be welding on a new spring hanger, I would suggest some 2x2 tubing welded across the coach from hanger to hanger with a couple of gussets at the hanger.

Peace
Dave

Lance & Jo

Yep great minds and all that. It hasn't been a really good month for the old girl, first the hail storm a couple weeks ago resulted in a new roof, then the spring hanger and now a new cooling unit for the reefer. At least Jo doesn't have to worry about me out running the streets, got enough to keep myself occupied here.

AAdams

I would have to agree to the title of the thread. I noticed this on our RW390. The rear axle just didn't "look right" when I was filling up. I pulled around to the truck parking and found the I bolt had sheared the axle slipped a couple inches. RV Axle.jpg
These are Dexter Axles that apparently weren't torqued properly when they were installed by Dexter. Dexter sent a mobile service out and had it repaired it in about 2-1/2 hours.