It's time for disc brakes.

creeper

Excellant information. Carlisle it is with 1/4" lines, which PSI model did everyone get? Anyone want to share photos of the way they ran their lines. While I have the trailer jacked up I figured I should do the springs, never lube bushings and a Dexter equalizer. My springs aren't that bad as compared to some, unloaded they actually have an arch to them, loaded they are flat.

IMG_1617.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the 1,600 psi model. That is the HBA-16.
I think the Kodiak requires 1,500 psi.
Is this going to be a DIY install?
Have you seen the video on my install? It may be of some help.

Peace
Dave

creeper

Thanks Dave, great video !!!!!!!!

Did you guys use the Carlise break away or just use the house batteries?

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used the house battery. You will have to be sure that the breakaway is hooked directly to the battery.

Peace
Dave

creeper

That's the way I'll do it. Thanks..

For anyone thinking about doing the upgrade, I'll keep a running track of costs.

So Far.

Carlisle Actuator - $589.00 plus a 1/4" adapter $15.00. Both from http://www.electronicbrakesystems.com/ an authorized dealer. Basically he's just drop shipping, but the cheapest authorized dealer price I found.

Disk brakes from Southwest Wheel aka trailerparts.com - $703.80 - cost per wheel is $175.95 per wheel plus shipping. For the Lippert 6k axles you have to order the 7k discs. Kodiak part # 2/HRCM 133-7-8-E. The kit part #KK1HRCM13378EKIT includes all the bearings,seals and blots. Saved $35.15 with a coupon code autoforum . Update: I can not recommend Southwest wheel for parts. Been calling for 3 days to confirm something about the order. They don't answer emails, won't get back to you if you leave a name/number and just leave you in a permanent hold loop until they system hangs up on you. Avoid this place.

Prodigy P3 controller and ford adapter wire- $142.30 from adventurerv.net. I decided to not use the integrated ford controller because of the warning from carlisle. Plus to use the ford controller I'd have to add an adapter box which is just a little bit cheaper then the prodigy. Udate: took 1 week to arrive. No problems.

So far $1450.10 for all the major parts. I'll get the brake lines and junctions locally.

While I have the beast jacked up I'm replacing the China spring bombs and upgrading the suspension. Did the china tire bombs last year.

Dexter 3500lb 26" leaf springs - $413.23 from Dexteraxle.com. UPDATE: Paid more then double for the more expensive U.S. or Canada made springs. They shipped the cheap China made springs and want me to pay for return shipping and restocking to return them. Update 2: after much wrangling with Dexter they are having their springs picked up and giving me a full refund. They now say all their springs are made in China.

3500lb springs from Nueratrailerparts.com, Springs are emco american made springs. Cost $130.00 Saving over Dexter chinese springs $283.00.

Dexter EX flex 33" - $153.32 from Nickstruckparts.com. UPDATE: came super fast. Drop shipped from Dexter Axle. Good Seller.

Never Fail bushings - $71.70 from Mobile outfitters on ebay.com. UPDATE: Came promptly, they don't answer emails to give a tracking number. They are slightly smaller then the brass bushings they are meant to replace. Waiting for a response from Lippert as to why. Got a quick call back from Mobile Outfitters, the smaller size is not a problem as the springs ride on the bushings.

$1805.35 out of pocket so far. Will need brake lines, some wire, junction boxes.

Last edited:

creeper

Dexter Axle roulette not a fun game.

D.A. - Hello thanks for calling Dexter Axle.
Me - Yes I'm looking for 3500lb springs can you tell me where your springs are made?
D.A. - Yes, they are made in the U.S. and Canada.
Me - Great, that explains why they are so expensive, but worth it.

5 days later the springs arrive and stamped all over them "Made in China"

D.A. - Hello thanks for calling Dexter Axle.
Me -Hi, I have a problem with my order. I ordered springs that I was told were made in the U.S. or Canada and I got cheap china made springs.
D.A. -I don't know who would have told you our springs come only from the U.S. and Canada only, we do get some of them from China. So you can get a set from the USA, Canada or Chins.
Me -I can get 3500lb china made springs for 1/4 the price all over and what I was trying to avoid.
D.A. -Honey, don't yell at me you can send them back and also pay the restocking fee.
Me - I'm not yelling and that's not going to happen, you sent me something I didn't order.
D.A. -Honey, We're not going to tell the shipping dept. to pick through the springs to find you a U.S. or Canada made set.
Me -Then you shouldn't have told me that they weren't made in China. $85 for china made springs is a rip off as they sell everywhere for 1/4 the price.
D.A. -Well Honey, you tell me what you want me to do.
Me -First stop calling me honey. Have UPS come pick up your springs, forget that restocking fee and either send me what I ordered or refund all my money. Just let me talk to a manager.
D.A. -Honey, I'll print out your order and get with my supervisor on monday as it's after 4pm.

I'm stunned and completely ripped off by Dexter Axle at this point.

Last edited:

creeper

Yeah it's amazes me how these companies stay in business. Here is a customer willing to pay extra money for USA made stuff and I get china crap.

With all this stuff I ordered it's amazing companies don't' return emails on product questions, don't supply shipping tracking numbers or just flat out lie. I can't imagine if I was asking difficult questions.

creeper

Just in a few boxes from Southwest wheel.

IMG_1638.jpg

Contents of kit which contains hub, bearings, seals, bolts and caliper.

IMG_1639.jpg

creeper

Finally got my U.S. made springs in. The lippert springs were 4 leaf 3000lb springs, these are 6 leaf 3500lb springs. The stack height is 1/2" more and raises the trailer by 1/2", which is fine as i replaced my chinese tires last year and lost some clearance on the Michelle tires. Time for some parts prep.

Knocked out plastic bushings that came with the springs using several different punches. They were really stuck in there.

IMG_1641.JPG

Going to forgo all the wet bolts even though my Dexter EZ flex came with them and use Never-fail bushings. One less thing to grease.

Pressing the Never-fails in.

IMG_1642.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

creeper

Dexter EZ flex prepped with Never-Fail bushings.

DSCN0311.JPG

To prep these you have to knock out the brass bushings. To do this I used an old 1/4" drive 3/8" socket , reversed it, inserted a punch and then knocked out the bushings with a hammer.

DSCN0314.JPG

It worked perfectly as the socket is just slightly smaller then the diameter of the bushing. Lubed the holes and pressed in the Never-lube bushings.

Tear down starts tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCN0311.JPG
    DSCN0311.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 7

creeper

Jacked up the camper with 2 bottle jacks. Had 2 jack stands, front legs down and 2 floor jacks for safety.

Removed the wheels and knocked off the bearing covers.

Around the castle nut you'll have either a cotter pin and washer or a washer that has a locking tab.
DSCN0321a.jpg

Hubs removed.

DSCN0324.JPG

Brake assemblies removed, seems my seals gave up the ghost and covered everything with grease.

DSCN0326.JPG

Suspension removed.

DSCN0337.JPG

New suspension in.

DSCN0339.jpg

I'll have a much more detailed how to for those who are interested in doing the job on my website.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Everything is looking good and your taking your time and doing it right. I still say the hardest part is running the brake lines.