key largo 365 sewer smell in cargo area

Timeout

Thanks
I do have the washer so I will look at that one to. Appreciate your help.
Hope I can get a handle on it so. One smell I don't want ☠

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Also check the electric, water, and sewer chase above the door side cargo door. The chase is covered by carpeted cover on the cargo bay ceiling above the door. I had a sewer type smell coming from the bedroom dresser that only occurred when we ran the bathroom vent fan.
Took me a year to track it down, it was coming from the washing machine drain pipe. I located a hole in the upper portion of the drain by feeling it with my fingers. I believe the hole was was drilled to install wires above the drain pipe. I covered the hole with heavy A/C metal duct tape. That cured the odor problem for me.

Timeout

I did stuff my head in the washer dryer area when I could smell the odor and never could smell it in there. I think I'm going to look in to changing the vents. I have a friend I get to work on my rig as he is a light fella verses me near 300lbs to change them out. I try to avoid roof if I can.
I rather be the guy with my hands in my pockets watching the job:D.

thanks for you input Terry. all great advice here.:cool:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a friend I get to work on my rig as he is a light fella verses me near 300lbs to change them out.

I try to avoid roof if I can.

I rather be the guy with my hands in my pockets watching the job:D.

That is one of the fringies of attending the HOC Rallies . . .

When you have an issue and you can't figure it out, you just grab a volt meter, large open-ended wrench or screwdriver and stand in front of your rig scratching your chin . . . and within minutes you'll have a whole crew helping you figure it out!

That's probably how Nabo got this crew up there . . . right? :rolleyes:

Timeout

Ok:)

After waiting for the guy to come and look at my rig, I got up on the roof and pulled covers and found mud wasp nest in two vents. One of which was all but closed off completely. The washer vent was 3/4 blocked. I cleaned them out and flushed them with hose. There must be a bad seal on a joint in vent that's why I was getting smell in cargo area. I did get a tiny bit of water in compartment after flushing with the hose may have been from missing the hole and running down the out side following it down. so there must be a seam not sealed tight. So far there is no smell now. Till we go on a trip again will I know 100 percent. But I feel confident I got it. With that said if I ever get the smell again I know the first place to check.

Thanks everyone for the info and guidance. :cool:

rhodies1

79d32b5b5594a45d54d165a0e2b905ce.100
Anyone have anything good to say about these
Camco Cyclone Plumbing Vent - 40595

vents verses the 360 siphon vent you suggested.

I have this on my Bighorn,great results and never a smell from the sewer,CW has an unknown special on these,they are listed in their yearly magazine as buy one get one,not promoted at their stores..my cousin used the new 360 siphon and has been pleased,anything that is better than the originals.

farside291

I have a question about the studor valves under the sinks, I bought 3 from Lowes and they were way too big. Is there a certain type we have to use for our RVs? If so anyone have a source to buy. Right now all my pipes are covered with ziplock bags and plastic zip ties to keep the smells out.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What is this and do all Big Horns have them?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That item is an air-admittance valve, sometimes just called a Studor Valve.
Almost all RV's will have that item. It is designed to allow air into the drain pipe to prevent gurgling and allow a smooth flow of waste water.
They are mostly found under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink.

Peace
Dave