Kodiak Disc Brake Maintenance

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
While conducting a pre-trip inspection on the wheel bearings I touched the disc brake caliper and noticed movement towards and away from the brake disc. I removed the wheel and tire from the wheel hub. Then I removed the caliper from the caliper mount and noticed a rubber slide bushing had a hole in one of the rubber slide bushing. It was easy to remove the bushing from the caliper because of the wear on the bushing. When I removed the guide bolts and the guide bolt sleeves, the guide bolt sleeves easily slid out of the rubber bushings. I also noticed there was not any grease on exterior of the guide bolt sleeves. The disc brakes were installed a little over three years ago.

Bushing Comparsion 1.JPG Worn Bushing 2.JPG Slider Bolt 1.JPG
Worn Slide Bushing Slide Bolt and Sleeve

I located the rubber guide bushings for the Kodiak 250 Caliper at Southwest Wheel with the Kodiak part number DBCMHBSB for $ 2.66 each. I am fortunate that there is a Southwest Wheel location about 15 miles from me in Dallas. I drove to Southwest Wheel and purchased 8 rubber slide bushings so I could in replace them on all of the wheels. E-Trailer also has the rubber slide bushings with the part number K338RB for $ 3.17 each.

Bushing Comparsion 1.JPG Bushing Comparsion 2.JPG
Comparison of Old and New Bushings

I worked on one wheel at a time. First, I removed the rubber bushing by pressing the end of a Philips screw driver on smallest flange edge of the rubber bushing which faces the side of the disc. I pushed the screw so it dimpled the bushing towards the center of the caliper slider port and pushed the bushing out.

Bushing Removal 1.JPG Bushing Removal 2.JPG Bushing Removal 3.JPG
Bushing Removal

The new bushings were a very snug fit to the guide bolt sleeve and the caliper slider port. To place a new rubber bushing in the caliper I sprayed soapy water in the caliper slider port and on the outside of the rubber bushing. Pushed the rubber bushing in the caliper slider port about ¼ to ½ inch. I then placed a screw driver through the center of the rubber bushing with a handle large enough to stay on top of the bushing. With light tapping of the screwdriver handle on the bushing the bushing was seated in the caliper slider port in about 2 seconds.

Bushing Install 1.JPG Bushing Install 2.JPG Bushing Install 3.JPG Bushing Install 4.JPG
Bushing with Soap Water Bushing Installation

I greased the exterior of the guide bolt sleeve and inserted the sleeve and the guide bolt in the rubber bushing. Then I mounted the caliper on the dish brake caliper mount and torqued the bolt to 40 to 45 foot pounds as per Kodiak Disc Brake instructions. I tested for play of the caliper assembly and it was solid without any play. I mounted the wheel and tire on the wheel hub and torqued the lug nuts to 130 to 140 foot pounds.

Silder Sleeve Grease 1.JPG Silder Sleeve Grease 2.JPG
Greased Guide Bolt Sleeve

For future preventative maintenance on the disc brakes I will check the guide bolt sleeves and rubber bushing for grease and wear on a yearly basis. I will re-grease and or replace the rubber bushings as needed.

I have attached the Kodiak Disc Brakes Manual and other related reference sheets.

Attachments

• Caliper-Bushing-Lubrication-758-KB-10.pdf
    736.9 KB · Views: 14
  • BEARING-RACE-and-SEAL-INFORMATION-continued-717-KB-10.pdf
    698.2 KB · Views: 15
  • BEARING-RACE-and-SEAL-INFORMATION-827-KB-10.pdf
    804.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 250-CALIPER-Exploded-View-135-KB-21.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Trailer-Disc-Brakes-Install-Operating-Information-623-KB-6.pdf
    994.1 KB · Views: 11

Az_Ernie

Terry,

Nice job with this post! Instructions and pictures are clear and concise.

Az_Ernie

Garypowell

What you did was a ways past what I am comfortable doing myself but it is alway great to see what someone has done that has the ability.

Excellent write up!

porthole

Retired
I use Permatex synthetic caliper grease. No particular reason other then it was next to the brakleen when I picked up brake parts for the truck and trailer.

And as a comparison, when I took off the calipers to do brakes 2 months ago it was the first time I have bothered to pull those bushings out, and only because I had the synthetic grease.
New in June of 2009 and after 8+ years and 50K+ miles the bushings were fine.

I wire brushed the bore holes to get any rust out that I could and greased up the in and outside of the bushings and pushed them back in.

The truck brakes were another adventure, again.