Leak In Bedroom Slider

We have a 2011 Bighorn 2985RL and were RVing a couple of weeks ago. It rained, the slide leaked and there was water on our bedroom rug. We have it at a dealer as this is warranty work. The dealer is having trouble finding the leak.

Someone told my husband that if it rains, we should not level our rig 100% front to back so water won't accumulate on the top of the slide. By doing this we can avoid future leaks. Our concern is the refrigerator. Do you recommend this approach?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Leak In Bedroom Slider

When the slides are extended, the slide roof should slope away from the coach. They are designed this way so as not to allow water to accumulate. You should just level your rig.

imchud

We have a 2011 Bighorn 2985RL and were RVing a couple of weeks ago. It rained, the slide leaked and there was water on our bedroom rug. We have it at a dealer as this is warranty work. The dealer is having trouble finding the leak.

Someone told my husband that if it rains, we should not level our rig 100% front to back so water won't accumulate on the top of the slide. By doing this we can avoid future leaks. Our concern is the refrigerator. Do you recommend this approach?

Your Rig should be as level as you can get it. The tops have a pitch (or should) where the water will run off when level. Findling a leak on a slide can be frustrating at best, we had a leak on our main slide that took over a year to find, not good news i know. Sometime they need to reset the slide (side to side) to adjust the seals on each side?. Do you have a window in the slide? if so, ask them to check the seal around the inside of the frame. Thats where mine leaked... the seal was missing so water ran down between the wall and out onto the floor, just my 2 cents.

Tom

Pizzaguy

We had this problem our last trip out last year. I took the false bottom out from under the bed and found the problem myself and had the dealer fix it under warranty. There is a plastic L shaped piece on the bottom of the slide which was not caulked all the way to the end which extends inside the rubber wiping seals. In a driving rain,water will enter in the top of that piece and exit out the bottom, pooling on the bottom lip next to the slide roller. There is supposed to be caulking by the slide roller also on the bottom which on ours was not done very well, allowing water to get in under the roller.We camped in several rainy days this summer and never had a problem until the wind driven all day rain the last trip out. Hope this helps you.

Thanks to everyone. The dealer found the leak. It was under the bed like Pizzaguy's. We had awnings put over the two slides thinking that might help too. It rained while we were in it over the weekend and the rug stayed dry! Can't wait to get out there and see the country....