Leveling tricks and use of wood etc?

Kblock108

I don't have my lap top and I can not find a thread from my phone discussing the use of horse stall mats instead of wood or those expensive plastic ramps. I found some mats but I'm unsure the sizes I should cut, has anyone used these or what lengths do u guys suggest? The mats are 4x6 and 3/4 thick. Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I still used wood under the tires, I cut the planks about two feet longer than the distance of the outside edges of the tires. Gave plenty of room to get the tires on without a problem or having to stop on a dime.

I used 2x8's and 1x8's so the edges of the tires didn't hang off in space.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I use 12" squares of 3/4" plywood. I keep 4 of those and 2 squares of 1/2" plywood in one of those plastic milk crates along with our chocks. That size seems best for the way I use them. I have graduated levels on the side and front of the coach near the landing gear switch. They tell me how many inches I need to add to get to level.

pegmikef

I used 2x8s with forty five degree bevels on the ends and sized so I could stack one on the other maintaining the angled ends. If I needed more than two, I moved.

brianharrison

From my experience the density/weight of the rubber horse stall mats is much more than wood. For the same size my guesstimate is the stall mat may be twice or three times the weight of wood. Maybe there is newer stall mat technology, but I would be worried about compressibility.

I have not found anything better than wood for levelling, (other than the 6 point level up system). Like others I cut the edges to 45 degrees. I carry one 2x8, the length of the tandem wheels, and two sets of stackable short boards (under each wheel) to build height on top of the 2x8 if I need more than one or two board heights. I carry a rechargeable drill and 3 inch wood screws to attach and hold the smaller boards to the larger 2x8.

Brian

MTPockets

My two cents.... I used wood for a few years and caved in and bought a package of those yellow Lego style blocks. Now I use them exclusively. Plastic is clean, light, easy to pick up, wipe or house off when needed, easier to store. Wish I had used them much sooner.

happykraut

I've used both wood and plastic on my previous rigs(now I have level-up). The plastic works good if you have a flat and you need to build a pyramid to drive up on to get the wheel off the ground. They are lightweight, but I have several of them break on me.

Sumo

My two cents.... I used wood for a few years and caved in and bought a package of those yellow Lego style blocks. Now I use them exclusively. Plastic is clean, light, easy to pick up, wipe or house off when needed, easier to store. Wish I had used them much sooner.

Same here, much easier to use. Just my opinion.