Levelup Voltage Issues

danemayer

Dane what thin wires are you talking about. My 2012 was wired with 10 ga. And a 50 amp breaker. Yes it is six years old I'm not complaining just stating that this is a good news senario . Until I decide to update my wire and breaker it good with a few extra breakers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Can't speak to how your trailer is wired, but when you talk about trombetta solenoids, they don't pull 50 or 60 or 67 amps. Those solenoids are just valves that open and close to allow flow of hydraulic fluid. I'd be surprised to find anything more than 10 gauge, and it wouldn't surprise me to find 12 gauge wire to the solenoids. The wire from buss bar to pump motor is probably 6 gauge because the pump motor pulls most of the power.

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Can't speak to how your trailer is wired, but when you talk about trombetta solenoids, they don't pull 50 or 60 or 67 amps. Those solenoids are just valves that open and close to allow flow of hydraulic fluid. I'd be surprised to find anything more than 10 gauge, and it wouldn't surprise me to find 12 gauge wire to the solenoids. The wire from buss bar to pump motor is probably 6 gauge because the pump motor pulls most of the power.
You sound irritated.?
Was not my intention .
I was simply trying to speak of the whole system. A trombetta solenoid a hydraulic pump a hydraulic Reservoir a few wires a breaker.
I have had conversations with trombetta, Lippert,and heartland.
The issues with the hydraulics stalling is a design oversight. Not a bad thing but sometimes a tsb would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

TedS

The trombetta is just a solenoid that directs dc to drive the pump motor forward or reverse to extend or retract cylinders. It does carry through the main contacts all the current drawn by the motor. A low current solenoid with high current capacity contacts.

danemayer

The trombetta is just a solenoid that directs dc to drive the pump motor forward or reverse to extend or retract cylinders. It does carry through the main contacts all the current drawn by the motor. A low current solenoid with high current capacity contacts.
Ted,

I've attached a drawing of the switch wiring. Depending on which way the switch is pressed, the direction of the motor is reversed. The switch in this diagram controls the motor as well as the solenoid that opens and closes the valve that allows fluid to flow to and from the landing gear.

Attachments

• Lippert Landing Gear Wiring notated.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 32

TedS

Yes. The switch energizes the Trombetta which in turn energizes the pump motor. The heavy motor current goes through the Trombetta.

danemayer

Ok,

I think I've figured out where we're talking past one another.

Most of the solenoids used by the levelup system are low voltage, low current devices that open and close valves to allow hydraulic fluid to flow to the jacks or slide out rams.

The thing Lippert calls a Trombeta, which they also sometimes call a solenoid, or a set of two contactors, is like a relay. One or the other of the contactors is activated by low current from the switch or control panel. One contactor passes current to turn the motor in one direction. The other contactor passes current to turn the motor in the other direction.

The switch or control panel uses low current passed to one of the Trombetta contactors to control direction of the motor, based on which contactor gets energized.

Can the Trombeta be the weak link in the levelup system, causing the start/stop symptom. It's possible. But it seems to me to be unlikely. I think it's a sealed unit, so as long as the external connections are clean and tight, it seems low odds for the Trombeta to be the problem.

I recall someone a few months ago being advised by Lippert to replace the Trombeta to try and fix the start/stop symptom. If I'm remembering it correctly, it didn't fix the problem. He wasted his money.

porthole

Retired
This looks like fun ;)

Relays - solenoids - contactors, all do the same thing with different applications or load carrying capabilities and usually have physically different characteristics.

Trombetta - as referred to in the Lippert wiring diagram, Trombetta is both a trade name and spelled wrong in that diagram.
The Trombetta in the diagram is a "reversing polarity DC contactor"

It simply reverses the polarity to the DC pump motor using the wall switch. By using the "Trombetta" wiring can be simplified. There are two contactors in the Trombetta. This allows simple reversing without complicated multiple relays or heavy duty high current carrying double pole double throw switches.

Solenoid valves - these are the small silver "cans" used on the manifold to control fluid flow, typically on or off - open or closed. And two identical looking solenoid valves could operate the opposite of each other, e.g. one is open to flow the other is closed to flow with no current applied.

The Trombetta on the pump panel is indeed a high current reversing polarity device (reversing solenoid) operated by additional low current switches. Nothing in the 12 volt DC system throughout our rigs is high voltage, all the systems are low voltage, some just carry a lot of current, some carry minimal current.

I then spoke with Lippert technical support. Although they could not comment on the heartland configuration of our hydraulics

Another "good grief"

a restrictor in the hydraulic to prevent the hydraulic fluid from returning to the Reservoir while the hydraulics are deployed.

Did they explain exactly what that means?

Judging by the thin wires, I doubt the solenoids draw very much power. The pump draws the power.

The beauty of using relays, solenoids and contactors, high current operating devices can be operated with low current controls.

- - - Updated - - -

The initial driver for the change to 80 amp breakers was to supply sufficient power to the KIB Multi-Plex Control System in Landmark 365.

I thought the initial drive to the 80 amp breakers was 5-7 years ago to try and solve the hydraulic problem - 'way back when'.

Let's not forget that there is a real reason why an auto parts store replacement of the identical breaker used from the factory is $5 and some of the replacement breakers that are being used are $40 and above.

When our trailer was built we had hydraulic landing gear and two hydraulic slides - and - inadequate wiring. IIRC the wire gauge used for the pump was 10 gauge. Never had any issues until the LevelUp was installed. A larger pump assembly was installed (capacity) but none of the wiring was changed.

I had some low voltage cut out problems which were twofold. First the inadequate wiring and second the Lippert control panel was not "seeing" the proper voltage. I have had the same problem with my original inverter. The Lippert panel (and inverter panel) were seeing .6 volts lower then actual line voltage. As a result both systems would shut down prematurely due to a low voltage error. I'm guessing somewhere in the circuitry there are diodes that are causing the .6 volt drop (diodes have a .6 volt drop across the terminals as a matter of design).

I now have 2 gauge cables for all runs needed for the hydraulics and an 80 amp marine grade manual reset breaker

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing the colorful markups on this diagram are not Lippert's?

Item labeled valve is a 'solenoid valve'.
Makes a difference once you put wires on it.

View attachment Lippert Landing Gear Wiring notated.pdf

Last edited:

danemayer

Duane, I think you've pretty much nailed it.

With respect to the drive to 80 amp breakers being 5-7 years ago, that's what Lippert was saying in a LIP Sheet that was withdrawn. As of this morning, for levelup on towables (not motorized coaches) they say "50-100 Amp as required". See the attachment. With respect to my statement about the KIB system being the driver, that's my understanding about Heartland's decision to start using an 80 amp breaker.

For anyone who wants to upgrade their breaker to the hydraulics, I'd suggest they do what you did - upgrade the wire at the same time.

Attachments

• Lippert Level_Up_Towable_Component 50 - 100 amp.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

TedS

Here is LIP Sheet 0058.

Attachments

• lippert0058.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 0058-Wiring-Circuit-Breakers-in-Parallel-for-LCI-Hydraulic-Pumps.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 16

carl.swoyer

Ok,

I think I've figured out where we're talking past one another.

Most of the solenoids used by the levelup system are low voltage, low current devices that open and close valves to allow hydraulic fluid to flow to the jacks or slide out rams.

The thing Lippert calls a Trombeta, which they also sometimes call a solenoid, or a set of two contactors, is like a relay. One or the other of the contactors is activated by low current from the switch or control panel. One contactor passes current to turn the motor in one direction. The other contactor passes current to turn the motor in the other direction.

The switch or control panel uses low current passed to one of the Trombetta contactors to control direction of the motor, based on which contactor gets energized.

Can the Trombeta be the weak link in the levelup system, causing the start/stop symptom. It's possible. But it seems to me to be unlikely. I think it's a sealed unit, so as long as the external connections are clean and tight, it seems low odds for the Trombeta to be the problem.

I recall someone a few months ago being advised by Lippert to replace the Trombeta to try and fix the start/stop symptom. If I'm remembering it correctly, it didn't fix the problem. He wasted his money.
I had Lazydays RV here in Florida suggest changing the trombetta.
That would be about 80.00 bucks plus labor if I had them do it.
I changed the 50 amp breaker without replacing the trombetta.
I also tighten up all connections.
My new 50 amp breaker seems to be working fine.