License requirements for towing - Nevada

8amps

Hi all,
We are Nevada residents with a Bighorn 3610RE GVWR = 16,000 and a 2007 GMC 3500 dually GVWR = 11,400 so our total is over 26,000. We are trying to sort out the correct license needed and how difficult it is to get it. On the California thread on this same topic, it seems you need a licensed driver to be present while you take your test. (I know a lot of drivers I might persuade to come with me, but not with that type of license). Does anyone on here have that type of license and what was involved in getting it.
We are actually on our way to Nevada now in the hopes of getting it, but I am thinking it may be a little more difficult than we anticipated. As of right now, we were planning to take written test Friday, if we pass, you get a permit and can schedule a driving test in approximately a week. But that was for a J endorsement and not the CDL license I think we actually need.
Any clarification or experience would be welcome!
Thanks

Bohemian

Check http://Dmv.org. I don't believe you need CDL or there's anything special you need other than proper ID.

Careful!! Summary web sites are extremely bad at the details of when you need a CDL and when you are exempt. The states are bad at knowing their own regulations. It's in the details, not the generalities.

It's complex because each state has it's own rules for non-commercial use exemptions and intrastate only commercial use. It complex because the Federal regulations only apply to commercial interstate use (when you drive commercially out of your state of license). Federal regulations do not apply to commercial driving restricted to within your state of license nor to recreational driving. Both of those are defined solely by the state where you are licensed, though they mostly look like the federal regulations.

Two points to note:

The feds have jurisdiction over interstate commerce.

Each state must accept as valid each others states licenses as valid for all purposes that state certifies. Constitutionally, one state can not negate another states sovereign rights, laws, regulations, or other legal contracts. Except for one case in recent history.

sjandbj

8amps,
I am going through the same process to get a class A drivers license to pull my Big Country. A "J" endorsement will not do in your case due to the weight of your trailer. the Nevada guide for non commercial licenses states "If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed 26,000 lbs., a class A license is required". they do not make it easy nor can ever DMV location in nevada issue the licenses. Keep the post up to date on your progress. I am needing to upgrade my commercial class B to a class A now. I am finding it is a PITA to do.

Regards,
Steve

8amps

I just went to the Nevada dmv website, to paste the same info you did Steve. Where in Nevada are you? We are in Sedona, Arizona area but were headed to Las Vegas tomorrow. This snag may change our whole travrl plan...

8amps

For nevada direct from official dmv website

Written tests can be taken at all offices.
Drive tests are administered at the following offices:
555 Wright Way, Carson City
3920 East Idaho Street, Elko
4110 Donovan Way, North Las Vegas
810 East Greg Street, Sparks
3505 Construction Way,

sjandbj

I am in Henderson. Just outside of Boulder as you head north on 95. The funny thing about this license issue is I have a very good friend who is a Metro officer and he did not know the difference license that i needed. His response was he could look it up but really didn't care.

Regards,
Steve

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
I am in las vegas and have a class A licence if you need someone to go to do the test. You have to go to the dmv on Donavon in north las vegas for the test. Floyd

8amps

I spoke at length today with a DMV representative in the Commercial License Department. For GVWR of both vehicles over 26,000, you need a non-commercial Class A license. (We just weighed in at 23,000 pounds combined but that figure is irrelevant, what is on your sticker is what counts).

My main concern was finding someone to drive the vehicle there after reading a thread on the same topic in California. They require a licensed driver to accompany you and check their license according to the thread. So, what I was told by the Commercial DMV is "they don't police how you get the vehicle there, they don't check for a licensed driver, they know you're driving it anyway, that is not up to us to enforce" so I guess that resolves our issue of needing to get a licensed driver to go with us.
J endorsement is for a trailer more than 10,000 pounds but GCWR under 26,000#. You need to take a written test on endorsement J (there is a study guide). Once you pass the written test, you can schedule a drive test and also pay an additional $21 for a learner's permit which gives you one year to pass the drive test. I forgot to ask if there is a fee for the drive test.
A non-commercial Class A requires the J written test and also a Class A/B written test. You can do these at any DMV office but they said to be sure they give you the right tests because regular DMVs aren't up on the rules (shocker!). $25 to take both tests the first time. $10 each additional test if you don't pass. One day waiting period if you fail. (When we got our regular license, a lot of people failed the written test, and they had to wait a week to retake it). Same as above, once you pass you can schedule the drive tests - there are 3 for Class A - a pre-trip checklist, backing up (straight and at an angle, cannot use spotter or backup camera), and a road skills test which takes approximately 45-60 minutes. These are done only at the Commercial DMV offices listed in post #6. You have 90 minutes to do all 3 so the more you take on the first ones, the less time you have for the later. You have to pass them in sequence. You could do them all in one day if you pass the previous one or one at a time. Can still get learner's permit to pass all 3 in one year.
So, our plans are to go to Las Vegas, take the written tests (and hopefully pass!) and schedule our drive tests. Get our permits. Take the drive tests, hopefully pass, but if not, have a year to pass, and we'll be back in Nevada within the year to be official.

Hope this clarifies it for anyone who wanted to know. I'll post back how things go with the written and drive tests. Thanks for all the help!

Bohemian

RVs are totally and explicitly exempted in South Dakota.

1) CDL is for commercial use only.

2) Class A and Class B (non-CDL) are exempted (not required) for all non-commercial uses except transport of hazardous materials or more than 16 people. Class C is all you need in most circumstances for non-commefcial use.

3) RVs used for recreational uses only are exempted. All you need is a Class C. (unless see above 2))

So, states vary a great deal.

In NY all Class A and Class B licenses are CDL. There are no non-CDL Class A or Class B licenses. No exemptions.

BLHFUN

Nevada Towing Laws
Height14'
Width8 1/2'
Combined Length70'
Trailer LengthNS
Trailer Width8'6"
Trailer Height143'0"
MH Length40'
Two Vehicle Length70'
Triple Towyes (42)
Safety Chainsyes
Breakawayyes (2)
Fire ExtinguisherNot Stated
Flare SignsNot Stated
Brake Laws Trailers1500
Brake Laws Towed CarsBraking system required when gross weight of towed
WipersNot Stated
Overnight Parkingyes (21)
Max Tow Speed75
Ride In 5th-Wheel
Ride Pickup Camperyes
Ride Travel Trailer
Speed LimitPosted Truck Limit
GVW80,000 lbs without class B or A license
Axle20,000 lbs
License RequiredClass A or B non-comm. W/ "R" endorsement for RV,
ReciprocityYes

button_blue_searchagain.jpg
Towing Laws Reference Notes
1 On designated rural interstates; some exceptions.
2 Required on trailers over 3000 lbs.
3 Prohibited where posted.
4 Required on trailers over 3000 lbs. or if gross weight of trailer exceeds empty weight of tow vehicle.
5 Required on trucks over 3700 kgs.
6 Required if weight of trailer exceeds 40% of tow-vehicle weight.
7 Required on trailers over 6000 lbs.
8 Required if gross weight is over 2500 kgs.
9 Required on trailers over 1000 lbs. unladen, or 3000 lbs. laden.
10 Riding in fifth-wheel with audible or visual device with tow vehicle and safety glass.
11 24-hour limit.
12 Required if trailer exceeds 50% of tow-vehicle weight. BC, YT: laden.
13 Trailer limited to 48' in a 60' combination.
14 Eight-hour limit; 3 hours in SD.
15 Only if required by CSA at time of manufacture.
16 81.2 ft. on certain federal road systems.
17 Gross weight requiring brakes.
18 Must have free access to drive compartment
19 Maximum combined length 60 ft. on selected highways. Special permit in OR, WI. MI maximum length 70 ft, WA maximum 56 ft. with permit.
20 At least one exit that can be opened from outside and inside.
21 Not to exceed 18 hours in any two-week period.
22 Headlights or daytime running lights required at all times.
23 12-hour limit.
24 Must be able to stop in 40 feet at 20 mph.
25 On interstate highways; secondary roads still 8 ft.
26 81.2' on all state routes. On some other roads 8' limits are posted.
27 Some exceptions or restrictions. CA: See www.dot.ca.gov
28 Special wide-body regulations.
29 Two safety chains or breakaway switch required on trailers.
30 Required if RV is wider than 2 meters.
31 Not recommended.
32 Seats must be equipped with safety belts.
33 14 years of age and older; 13 or older in HI.
34 Required on trailers 3000 lbs. and over.
35 If passenger can communicate with driver, and exit can be opened from both interior and exterior. CA: Seat belts required. OR: Safety glass in windows required & Towing Laws
36 Suggested, but not required.
37 Required on bumper hitches only.
38 Required if gross weight is more than 1350 kgs.
39 Headlights must be used when visibility is less than 500 ft. YT: always, outside of city.
40 Total maximum combined length of 75 ft.
41 Total maximum combined length of 65 ft., QC: 19m.
42 Total maximum combined length of 70 ft.
43 With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in AZ, IL, MI, MN, MB (maximum length 23 m.), SK and YT.
44 Total maximum length of 72 ft.
45 See state and provincial regulations, SK 14m with permit.
46 Total maximum combined length of 80 ft.
47 Total maximum combined length of 21m.
48 Total maximum combined length of 23m; ball hitch OK on fifth-wheel only.
49 Total maximum combined length of 20m.
50 Total maximum combined length of 55 ft.
51 NT - 4500 kg GVWR requires ABC type extinguisher.
52 NH - 53’ trailer permitted on special routes.
NOTE: While every attempt has been made to verify this information, Towing World cannot guarantee its accuracy, and assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions. Changes may have been made since this data was compiled. Call state and provincial Highway Safety offices for additional details.

You can go to any state. It doesn't list everything, but helpful for some states.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdfishing

RVs are totally and explicitly exempted in South Dakota.

1) CDL is for commercial use only.

2) Class A and Class B (non-CDL) are exempted (not required) for all non-commercial uses except transport of hazardous materials or more than 16 people. Class C is all you need in most circumstances for non-commefcial use.

3) RVs used for recreational uses only are exempted. All you need is a Class C. (unless see above 2))

So, states vary a great deal.

In NY all Class A and Class B licenses are CDL. There are no non-CDL Class A or Class B licenses. No exemptions.

How you liking that new Dodge? Any issues with it? Anything you wish you had gotten on it that you didn't? I'm still in the looking phase, but haven't done much lately. Won't be ready to buy until later this year, but I'm sure leaning towards the Dodge.

Bohemian

How you liking that new Dodge? Any issues with it? Anything you wish you had gotten on it that you didn't? I'm still in the looking phase, but haven't done much lately. Won't be ready to buy until later this year, but I'm sure leaning towards the Dodge.

I custom ordered it just the way I wanted it. There is an exclusion between the rear bed camera and the convenience group. I got the convenience group, automatic headlights and wipers. The bed camera option messed up the camera system anyway IMHO.

I am extremely happy with the truck. Now on to the trailer.

8amps

Hi all, just thought I would post that Phil (Mr. 8AMPS) passed his driving test and is now all official with the State of Nevada with his non-commercial Class A license. (I, ahem, have merely a permit, more on that later). We're packing up to head east tomorrow morning, hope to be in Dallas, Texas Thursday or Friday. So lots to do beforehand. I will post more details later on the licensing for anyone who wants to know but I wanted to give a huge thanks to Nevada Chapter Leader Floyd who literally saved us and without whom we would not have passed the test. Most grateful and sincere thanks to you Floyd. What a wonderful group this Heartland forum is...

VKTalley

Nice to hear from you today, Mary! Safe travels to Texas! Keep me posted on your travels and hopefully we can meet up again for dinner.

Bill-Cathy

I wish our salesperson would have informed me that I need a class "J" license for towing over
10,000#. I know they are not obligated to make sure I have the proper license but it would
have been nice to mention that I would have to get another license!! My Gateway weighs in at
11,675#. I was looking at a Cougar which come in at just under 10,000#. That would have been
a real game changer knowing I'd have to get another license for the Gateway.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
So are you saying that a visitor towing in Nevada would need a different license than in our home state? Going to the National Rally and would like to be legal, but if it's a non issue don't want to worry about it.

MTPockets

So are you saying that a visitor towing in Nevada would need a different license than in our home state? Going to the National Rally and would like to be legal, but if it's a non issue don't want to worry about it.
I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not a NV resident and think license requirements would only apply to commercial vehicles.