Looking for trip routing ideas - Washington state to Goshen, Indiana

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Looking for suggestions on best route from the Great Pacific NW to Goshen. Ideas on good stops and things to see along the way. We really don’t want to take more than 7 days to get there. Would also like to have a few extra days afterwards for some sight seeing on our way back and take an alternate route back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jbeletti

Looking for suggestions on best route from the Great Pacific NW to Goshen. Ideas on good stops and things to see along the way. We really don’t want to take more than 7 days to get there. Would also like to have a few extra days afterwards for some sight seeing on our way back and take an alternate route back.
Rod - I'd drop down and take I-80 (route link). I suggest this route only because I'm most familiar with it as well as some of the cities/stops along the way.

wdk450

It looks to me like I-90 straight East until Iowa or Illinois, then drop down to I-80. Getting South to I-80 on the West Coast takes too long and goes through too many mountains to just get started.
When I drove to the Rally in 2013,, I started out from Redding, Ca., crossed the Sierras into Susanville, Ca. on state roads, connected from Susanville to I-80 in Reno, and got as far as Battle Mountain, Nevada the first day. It took me 6 FULL days of driving (55 mph cruise), about 450 miles a day, minimal bathroom and food stops, 8 hours a day, 1 36 gallon tank of diesel a day to make the trip to Elkhart. Satellite radio (baseball games, old radio classics dramas and comedy shows) really helped ease the boredom.