My Very First "Accident" with my Rig.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a couple of Eternabond bandaids on my roof from tree limb encounters. :-( Trace

zigzag3337

Since we bought our Cylcone, I pay more attention to the limbs then ever before when we had our old fiver. I called the road and bridge department of our county and explained to them that I have to swerve to miss some low limbs in our area, so she put in a couple of work orders for me. Not sure if they will get trimmed or not as it was just last week when I made the call. If they won't trim them, I will break out the pole saw and do it myself. I rather have a neighbor mad at me then have any roof damage.

ihsolutions

This is, to me, the single biggest draw back of owning a fifth wheel - clearance!

I've stayed at some very high end RV resorts (Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH comes to mind) which cater to high end motorhomes and fifth wheels, yet have many low hanging trees and sharp branches. Many attempts to have them address this have gone unanswered.

State parks in Michigan also tend to have many low branches. There are entire sections of campgrounds that I can't even go into, with branches as low as 9' (I know this because I can jump and touch them).

Shortly after buying the Big Horn, I bought a 14' extendable tree lopper/pruner that I carry in the basement of my RV, just in case.

I've used it before, and will use it again if I need to. My feeling is that if you are renting me an expensive spot specifically deemed "Big Rig Friendly" then you have a responsibility to make sure my big rig can get in there.

I have a lot of anxiety going to new campgrounds where I don't know what to expect. One of these days I'm going to get in a jam and won't be able to turn around or go through due to tree limbs. This keeps me awake at night.

lwmcguir

I keep a bypass lopper as well in storage. Have had to use it several times to clear limbs before pulling all the way into a site. Many are not maintained as they should be for the advertised space. Cutting across towns off the main streets is very risky. I have found many streets that were impassible due to low limbs. Apparently most towns don't have a standard or consistent system in place to keep street clearance. In some areas this may fall back to the property owner that owns or planted the trees.

rick_debbie_gallant

I keep a bypass lopper as well in storage. Have had to use it several times to clear limbs before pulling all the way into a site. Many are not maintained as they should be for the advertised space. Cutting across towns off the main streets is very risky. I have found many streets that were impassible due to low limbs. Apparently most towns don't have a standard or consistent system in place to keep street clearance. In some areas this may fall back to the property owner that owns or planted the trees.

I am wondering if that is why some streets are marked "TRUCK ROUTE" and others are marked "NO TRUCKS"? I avoid anything that says "NO TRUCKS".

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
UPDATE:

Insurance was willing to replace the whole AC unit - but would have listed it as an incident on my Policy ( costing me $600 over the next 3 years) plus my 500 deductible. so it would have been like I paid for it my self. SO here is what I did.

First replaced the fan to make sure the unit was still functional ( $40 shipped ) and then replaced the Cover for $125.00. IT works fine now and looks as good as new.

The Town was as useless as I expected - and only cut limbs after they are reported. If a limb was reported they claim that they have 120 days to trim it.

Oh well - things are back to normal.

Kevin

recumbent615

Thanks Duane,

Next is the PA Show then Copkae. That will end my Planned Camping Season. I'm sure there will be some weekends to the Whites or coastal Maine before the weather turns colder and I have to winterize the RIG.

jimtoo

Hey Kevin, come to South Texas and you don't need to winterize the RIG.... just enjoy Texas and the people. :)

Jim M

recumbent615

Hey Kevin, come to South Texas and you don't need to winterize the RIG.... just enjoy Texas and the people. :)

Jim M

Jim,

I spent 3 years wintering in the Hill country outside Austin - until the company I was working for ( an Austin CPU MFG ) decided to lay me off - now I work for a company with only one office in Boston - so no current excuse to go to Texas!!!

I did enjoy my winters in TX ...

Kevin