Mystery Drains

sbhoward

On a 2015 BC, I have two small 90 degree cream colored drains, one on each side, about 1/4 inch diameter soming through the frame. On one side its above the tires, and the other it's slightly to the rear of the tires.

Does anyone know where these drains are from? What to they drain? Rained last night but dodn't think it should be draining this long.

Thanks

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
. I wouldn't believe the idiot lights in your panel. But yes very possible they will siphon for a while after filling the tank. I added a short piece of tubing and a ball valve to each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Those are overflow drains for the fresh tank. If you're hooked up to campground water and the overflows drain continuously, your fresh tank is getting filled by itself.

Sooooo, if they don't stop draining, turn off the water faucet and the draining should stop after a short time.

Confirm that your 4-way Anderson Valve is set on CITY or NORMAL and not on TANK.

The tank getting filled by itself may be caused by either a partial failure of the check valve in your water pump, or by a damaged o-ring in the 4-way Anderson Valve.

If you've confirmed the tank is filling by itself you can do a simple test to find out which part is failing. You'll need to take down the rear wall of the pass-through basement storage next to the UDC so you can see the back of the 4-way Anderson Valve. If you remove the connection for the Fresh Tank, as shown in the attached picture, and turn on the campground water (with valve set to CITY), you should not get water flowing out of the valve's Fresh Tank connection. If you do get water there, the cartridge on the Anderson Valve needs to be replaced. Anderson or Heartland can help with that. Anderson can be contacted at 800-476-9876. Or call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

If no water comes out of the valve, the pump is the problem. That can be fixed either by replacing the pump, or by adding a check-valve on the suction side. You can get an easy-to-install Sharkbite Slide-on check valve for less than $20. If you're under warranty, you can likely get Heartland to send a pump for you to install.

Attachments

• Anderson 4way valve 2 city.jpg
    Anderson 4way valve 2 city.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

sbhoward

Those are overflow drains for the fresh tank. If you're hooked up to campground water and the overflows drain continuously, your fresh tank is getting filled by itself.

Sooooo, if they don't stop draining, turn off the water faucet and the draining should stop after a short time.

Confirm that your 4-way Anderson Valve is set on CITY or NORMAL and not on TANK.

The tank getting filled by itself may be caused by either a partial failure of the check valve in your water pump, or by a damaged o-ring in the 4-way Anderson Valve.

If you've confirmed the tank is filling by itself you can do a simple test to find out which part is failing. You'll need to take down the rear wall of the pass-through basement storage next to the UDC so you can see the back of the 4-way Anderson Valve. If you remove the connection for the Fresh Tank, as shown in the attached picture, and turn on the campground water (with valve set to CITY), you should not get water flowing out of the valve's Fresh Tank connection. If you do get water there, the cartridge on the Anderson Valve needs to be replaced. Anderson or Heartland can help with that. Anderson can be contacted at 800-476-9876. Or call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

If no water comes out of the valve, the pump is the problem. That can be fixed either by replacing the pump, or by adding a check-valve on the suction side. You can get an easy-to-install Sharkbite Slide-on check valve for less than $20. If you're under warranty, you can likely get Heartland to send a pump for you to install.

As usual, your help is very good. detailed, and very appreciated. Thank you. It sounds like the issue as I drained a lot out of the fresh water tank, the overflow stops for a while, only to start again later. I have been using the "City" connection when at the park. I understand the "Tank" setting, but can you tell me what the "Normal" is then used for? Should I be using Normal instead of City?

Thanks

danemayer

As usual, your help is very good. detailed, and very appreciated. Thank you. It sounds like the issue as I drained a lot out of the fresh water tank, the overflow stops for a while, only to start again later. I have been using the "City" connection when at the park. I understand the "Tank" setting, but can you tell me what the "Normal" is then used for? Should I be using Normal instead of City?

Thanks

TANK = routes campground water from the water inlet to the fresh tank to fill it.
SANITIZE/WINTERIZE = routes bleach or antifreeze from the water inlet to the water pump so it can be pumped through the plumbing fixtures.
CITY = routes campground water from the water inlet to the plumbing fixtures.
NORMAL = opens a connection between the pump suction line and the fresh tank feed line so with pump on you can pump the contents of the fresh tank to the plumbing fixtures.

On the 2nd generation Anderson 4-way valves (which you probably have) there is a secondary channel so that if set to CITY, the pump is able to draw water from the fresh tank. This means if you mostly are hooked up to campground water, but use the pump at rest stops, you can just leave the valve on CITY.

In a less common scenario where you mostly boon dock, you could leave the valve on NORMAL and if occasionally hooked up to campground water, you wouldn't need to switch it to CITY.