New guy on forum, ford diesel tech

StagNW

Wrong forum for an introduction, I know. But I repair Powerstrokes for a living at the dealer so I thought I could answer some questions! Feel free to ask, and I'll see if I can help!

the reason I'm on this forum is because my wife and I have lived in our Heartland Bighorn 3670RL, I wanted to find a resource to learn more! I enjoy all your stories of full timing and I hope to retire early and do the same!

cheers!

MTPockets

I have the '13 6.7 now with 35,000 miles. Is extended warranty a waste? Or an investment. I've read a bunch of problems with the Bosch fuel pump. What's your take?

jimtoo

Hi StagNW,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Thanks for the offer to share info from your field of work. Someone is always looking for help somewhere about something.

Check out the Heartland Owners Club and join us at a rally when you can. Also if you need a part for your 3670, you can get a little discount from the factory on parts.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jbeletti

StagNW,

Welcome to the forum. We'd welcome your input on diesel engines and hope you can make it to a Heartland rally this year. We have one coming up in WA this year. I'm flying in for it. Love to meet you guys.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey there StagNW,

Depending on where your working, I might have had you work on my old 2003 6.0L when I had it. So far with my 2012 6.7L I have had no problems, but I did get the extended warranty on mine just because of all of the problems I had with the 2003 6.0L.

Like Jim Beletti said, we would love to have you join us in the Leavenworth area in July for our Washington Rally the weekend of July 17-19 and then Immediately following our rally, we are Caravanning down to the Oregon Rally on the Oregon Coast in the Coos Bay Area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up.

Rod Ditrich

StagNW

Thanks for the responses guys, a rally sounds fun ill have to look more into them, we have talked about going to the rv show in February to see the latest and greatest heartland products!

As far far as extended warranties go it's an individual choice. I focus on the risk / reward. I personally would buy a ford extended warrenty if it was offered, I don't know if they do DieselCare anymore. Or ESP is another one. Nwhen buying one it's important to read the details of what is covered and what isn't, and understand it clearly. That will help aid you in your risk / reward, cost / return decision. If not a ford warranty, stay with a name brand one, National or United car care. I have good luck with those guys covering things.

however! The fear of poverty and a permanent head ache has been struck by the old ford diesels. Blanket statement: everything mechanical will fail eventually. That being said the 6.7 is one of the finest engineered pieces I've ever seen. Ford has more patents on this engine then any engine ever created. When I talk to customers with 6.0s that are about to spend another 5k on their truck, I asked them if they have driven the 6.7. I tell customers these trucks are going to put me out of business because they don't break.

The he issues I consistantly see with the 6.7 are EGT sensors reading incorrectly, and the EGR cooler plugging. The EGR is covered by your 100k emissions warrenty. The reason they plug is the EGR system not functioning at a hot enough temp. You guys towing constantly, and contractors who are constantly loaded down are making the truck work, the way it was engineered to function. It burns hot and keeps the soot down. It will plug eventually, however it's redesigned and no longer a 3k repair like on the 6.0, it should be less the. 1k out of pocket.

I have seen seen two engine failures since 2011. Both on rigs that idle all day long.

I have dozens of customers breaking 100k now, and a handful approaching 200k.

hope this helps!

Mrsfish

Thanks for the offer and here goes. mrfish is thinking of putting a Frantz oil filter on as a secondary oil filter. Your opinion please. And thanks

StagNW

Hi mrsfish, I have not seen anyone install a secondary oil filter, I have no concerns with the oiling system on the 6.7. I would be concerned about having an adverse effect on the oil pressure dependent on where it is placed in the system. If he has a kit or has seen it done before, send me a link. The 6.7 is engineered very well, I would highly recommend using a factory motorcraft and follow a severe duty maintenance schedule as recommended in your manual. Also engineering told as school that the truck is smart enough to know when it needs an oil change based on the reminder being manually reset after a change, time, load, temperatures and miles. The Pcm has an algorithm to calculate when it needs it, however I still put 5k stickers in the trucks. I personally believe frequent oil changes is cheap insurance on a $60k truck.

TxPatriot, the 6.4 hits its stride when the emission systems are deleted. The 6.4 got the shaft because it is a stroked 6.0 with a high pressure fuel system added. Then they put the Diesel particulate filter (dpf) in to meet emission requirements. I generally see 8-12mpg from commercial trucks, and 12-14 on standard pickups. Towing is worse. I've seen as low as 6 on the computer from a gentleman who towed a 5th wheel regularly. With deleted emissions I've seen as high as 18 on pickups, I have no data to provide for commercial rigs because of DOT inspections.

Towing and and power will be better with them deleted, on the 6.7 I've read no proof that milage gain is plentiful. I see no reason to delete emissions on the 6.7. I do not believe the return on investment would be enough to justify.

i hope this helps!

StagNW

Also TxPatriot, with the 6.4 it's paramount to be aware of how often your truck is going into regen. And to monitor your oil level. During regen extra fuel is dumped to light off the dpf to clean it, some of this extra fuel passes the rings and mixes with the oil. Factory says 100-650 miles is normal for regen, (I will need to look that number up to be sure), however once you get down around the 200 mile range between regen cycles, that's dumping a lot of fuel, and your dpf is at the end of its service life. All that being said:

Keep an eye on the oil level, it will grow, normal. But if you can start smelling diesel on the dipstick and the level goes more than an inch past the full marker, I recommend to shorten your service interval with oil. Diesel is a lubricant, but 15w40 is a better lubricant. I have replaced lots of bearings while revealing bed plates.

Just something extra to keep keep an eye one!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We lost a 6.4 due to s bad EGR along with dpf issues. Put in a new 6.4 and blew white smoke couple weeks later. Traded it in and guy dealership sold it to had issues as well.
My only issue so far has been the idiot light for the coolant test. The msg came up while DW was driving and it freaked her out as our troubles with the 6.4 started with a low coolant flow code on a check engine light. What are your thoughts on the coolant test/additive??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
StagNW, thanks for all that info. I am new to Diesels. So can any of that be done by tuning, is that what deleting refers to?

StagNW

Jassson007, the 6.7 is different then the older engines, your 6.4 was checked for nitrates in the coolant, the 6.7 is a different beast, it is checked for carboxilates, whatever those are? assuming you don't have a standard level cluster, all of your maintenance lights can be reset by driver command, I believe it's "vehicle" -> "maintenance" -> then fuel or coolant reset. Hold ok and it will reset. Don't panic, it's not a issue, just a reminder. Brand new trucks, 20-30k don't worry about it. After that just make a note and have it checked next time you get service done. They should do it for free, I do, because I like talking to the customers about their trucks and experiences. Especially fuel milage! :)

it's also a good thing to be resetting those yourself when you have a service done. Hop in the truck and reset the applicable ones, it keeps you engaged in your truck and it eliminates human error of the mechanic forgetting to do it, I have forgotten we are all human. But if you get in the habit, then you will eliminate that uneasy feeling when your oil change light comes on just 2k after a service when you're out in the desert.

and when it comes time for new coolant, I'm not a believer in the flushes and chemicals, I believe it's snake oil and worthless. The manufacturer puts millions of dollars into engineering, they know when they are doing! If I owned a 6.7 I would simply do a drain and fill with new coolant, factory motorcrraft coolant.

TxPatriot; the deletes are achieved by putting a race pipe in place of the dpf, or a turbo back race exhaust. EGR deletes are simply block off plates after the coolers are removed. The tuner is designed to keep the dpf load level at "part-loaded." Then it will never go into regen. It is frowned upon (federally illegal) however plenty of people do it. Parts are readily avail and I believe you have to fill out a form to acquire the tuner stating its for off highway or race use only. Takes the liability off the manufacturer. Also the truck won't run if you unplug EGT sensors, it will see an over temp condition and go into fail safe mode, therefore you must have a tuner to fool the systems when deleting.

please note guys that experiences may vary, being in the NW I will see different issues then guys in other parts of the country.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Pretty much what my dealer said. Have had two oil changes in 14k miles and both done in his shop. That was first thing they asked when I went in with that msg. He took a sample out the top bottle and said he would test and call me if any issues but not worry about it. Yeah right $64k truck after just traded a bad one in. Lol. I do know where to clear the messages but he did it anyway. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dryer

I love my 6.4 f450. The fuel mileage does suck but it's an awesome truck. I bought it with 55,000 miles and brought it home and deleted it. The egr and the dpf. Fuel mileage went up a bit. I get 16mpg not towing anything running down the highway at 70. Towing my cyclone 4200 I get 8-9 mpg's. The only thing that scares me about it is I keep seeing them with either cracked Pistons or blown head gaskets. My tow tune is only a 100hp over stock. Normal street tune is 250hp over stock.

StagNW

I think you did it right Dryer! Did they offer the F450 with a bed back then? or only as Cab & Chassis? I can't remember what year they started offering it with a bed. I just saw one with that needed head gaskets, truck was at 164k, but heavily neglected. Not a good comparison to yours. I appreciate your milage info. Any idea on the weight of your trailer setup?

jeffdee

I just wanted to take a second and thank you for taking the time to offer your words of wisdom and tips. Maybe the moderator will offer you a titled thread (sticky?) so that all your comments and responses will remain at the top of the threads.

In my youth (early 70's) I was an ASE Certified Ford Line Mechanic. Today you guys are called technicians and associates. It is appropriate titles considering the complexity of today's modern V8 powerplants, both gasoline and diesel.

I wonder how many old-timers out there still remember getting "tune-ups" every 10,000 miles....that went away with the rotary telephones. (LOL)

Thanks again StagNW, I will be monitoring your responses. :)

dfk009

I wonder how many of the old Ford/Mercury mechanics remember installing TKF-1's (tune up kit in a sealed can)? The newer generation always had to find an old timer to see what you set the dwell on points at. Spent 31 glorious years sell Ford parts. Don K

jeffdee

Yup...

TKF-1 for 289, 302, 351, 390, 428 and 429 CID V8's, non-HEI
Dwell set at 30 degrees
Timing was between 6 to 12 degrees BTC (before top center)
BF42 spark plugs gapped at .035", ARF42 for later V8's

Remember Fred Jones rebuilt parts out of Oklahoma?

The 351 Cleveland was the best all around V8 in developed horsepower/cubic inch displacement, it stopped production because of poor emissions, the Australians continued production for a number of years more

The 260/289/302 (push rod) V8 was the best all around performer with the most years in production, the 5.0L modular V8 may be coming to an end soon

I owned a 1968-1/2 Shelby Mustang Convertible with the 428 Super Cobra Jet for about 10 glorious years

shelby1.jpg

shelby3.jpg