New Ram 3500 Towing Beast

szewczyk_john

No doubt I will be enjoying this one for years.I am currently pricing fuel & tool combo boxes. Even if I just settle on fuel tank, I can get an empty plastic tool box and strap in the bed since I ave the cover on the bed.

porthole

Retired
Every tractor trailer that has air bags has a leveling valve or sensor installed in it. They automatically adjust the truck left to right up or down depending on weight load and angles.

Since I have rear air suspension, self leveling, I have looked at a bunch of tractors, especially at Dover speedway where there may be 30 or more high end tractors parked near our camp site. Every one had a single leveling valve controlling all four air bags.
That makes sense, since a tractor when loaded will have all of the load concentrated on the saddle, pretty much centered over the axles.

That said, when I did my air I installed two leveling valves, one for each side since the odds of a pickup being off loaded side to side are greater then a big rig.

On the Rams, what are they using for leveling? Are there one or two?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Only drawback I have so far is storage. Going from the Mega Cab to Crew Cab means I gave up all that storage behind the back seat. I actually have 2 milk crates full of stuff, plus 2 moving blankets and a 12 volt compressor that we carried that there that is no room for.

John, do they still have the storage bins under the floor mats in the rear crew cab? I found I was able to fit a lot of things in there. The one, I put a receiver hitch, recovery straps, ratchet straps etc. The other, I'm able to put a cordless impact wrench and a 12 V drill/driver. That freed up space under the rear seat for my Viair compressor, dog blankets and some odds and ends.

Oh, how do you like your exhaust brake or engine brake or variable turbo vane geometry adjusting brake? Whatever you want to call it. It's definitely a nice feature when you're hauling heavy loads.

szewczyk_john

I believe it to be a one sensor unit meant to level front and rear not side to side. When I installed airbags one the 2500 I went with two Schrader valves, one for each bag, in case I ever had to level side to side. Had those bags for years and never once did I have to resort to different pressures for what I was towing. Keep in mind that I more than doubled the size of my house by enlarging the garage and a full 2 story additional over that garage. That addition was 14 wide by 36 deep. Everything was hauled in by me.

There are 2 videos on you tube and from what I can see, even the 1500 which has 4 corner airbags, the system is for front to back leveling and not side to side.

Ram intro

Ram Commercial

Johng1970

Our new 3500 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually long box with high output cummins & asian transmission. 4.10 gearing, automatic rear air suspension, fifth wheel prep, tonneau cover rear back up camera with the cargo camera as well. This thing has so many options and toys that I am still trying to figure them all out. After looking at 4500s and a used 5500 from Classy Chassis, I came to my senses and bought this one. Color is called Maximum Steel metallic with black interior. Best description of the color that I have heard came from the sales man. He said it looks like new rebar used for cement work before it starts to rust up. Think bluish grey with that purplish tinting and in the sun this color really pops off the truck. In the shadows it looks black Deal was just too good to pass up plus they gave more for the old blue 2006 2500 Mega Cab then any local dealer that we drove 4 hours to get it. Dulles Dodge/Ram out of Leesburg Virginia.

Just drove it home yesterday and could not be happier. This beast has so much torque it is unbelievable, but the cabin is so quiet and comfortable. It is amazing.

View attachment 49582
View attachment 49585
View attachment 49587

Is that snow on the bed of the truck?