New roof needed even before we take possession of Heartland Cyclone 4000

We bought a new 2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000. Papers signed and paid for. I have not driven the unit off the lot yet. During the PDI I discovered that the roof was buckled and one air conditioner did not work properly. The dealership contacted Heartland and Heartland agreed to replace the roof and air conditioner. My understanding is that during construction the roof is attached to the unit, then the front and back caps are installed. If a new roof is replaced by the dealer, there will be a permanent seam all around the roof and must be carefully checked and is technically NOT a new unit. The unit will be worth considerably less (residual value) than a brand new unit. I need help and advice. Thank you. John Brandon

danemayer

Hi John,

It's likely that they're talking about replacing the Dicor rubber roof covering and probably the luan layer underneath since that will be damaged when the rubber is pulled off.

At the factory, the rubber is put down before the front and rear caps are installed, so they overlap the rubber a bit in front and back. During the replacement, the caps will not be removed, so you're correct, you will have a seam at front and rear. The sides are different and I don't think you'll have a new seam there any different from the original.

Lots of people have run-ins with trees and have to have new roofing put on. It's not all that uncommon.

As long as you regularly caulk the seams, you'll be fine. On the original roof, you have the same caulking requirement. If you didn't maintain the caulking, water would get in between the cap and roof and run down inside causing problems somewhere despite the extra footage of rubber roof.

Jon, thanks for the reply by the way, they do not go through the unit and fix what needs to be fixed until the PDI. John

danemayer

Dan, thanks for the reply. Why, in your estimation, would a roof be warped in a brand new unit. Thanks, John
Depends on what "warped" means. If there was a ripple or bubble in the rubber material, there might have been a spot where they didn't apply the adhesive. If the area is small, sometimes rather than replace the roof, it's a better idea to make a small puncture and inject adhesive, then patch the hole.

If you mean the structure under the rubber was deformed, it might be that some part of the roof structure had a defect that wasn't obvious at the time of build, or perhaps some force was applied to it somewhere along the line between joining the roof to the sides and you seeing it at the dealer. I doubt the problem was obvious at the time of build.

As long as you didn't take the rig off the lot you should have 3 days to back out of the contract. Call your loan company and speak to them directly and asap about your situation.

Bigburd

I had issues with the dealer also concerning a full blown walkthrough prior to purchase. Slides out, water & electric hooked up. Salesperson stated they do not do this until you sign papers. Told salesperson that if I was spending $70 grand they would do it or I would walk. I walked.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
PDI-----------Pre Delivery Inspection------------before I signed

PDI-----------Post Delivery Inspection-----------after I signed

My dealer did both.

GrumpyOneandTwo

I have a suggestion. Let's start a thread devoted to a list of any dealer that will get a unit ready and let a customer do a PDI BEFORE signing paperwork. That way when people are looking at their next Heartland product they can go to the list and select the dealer they want and know they can do a PDI before signing.

I have never thought to get on the roof during a PDI but that would help those who bought one with a defective roof.

What ya'll think? A good idea or not?

Mike

Hippy

If your not happy don't take it off the lot whether you signed or not. I had a few issues (minor) and I didn't take it off the lot even though I signed for 3 days till it was solved. My sales rep call me ticked off all 3 days til they took care of the problems.
I, myself would rather have another new unit since that's what I paid for.

tmcran

As long as you didn't take the rig off the lot you should have 3 days to back out of the contract. Call your loan company and speak to them directly and asap about your situation.

In Texas the is no three day "Buyers Remorse" law. You sign contact for vehicle , its yours.

In Texas the is no three day "Buyers Remorse" law. You sign contact for vehicle , its yours.

There are certain situations in which a contract may be cancelled. That's why I suggested calling the loan company and explaining the situation. The dealer will certainly say that there is no recourse.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
In California there is also no "cooling off period" when buying an RV. There are signs all over the sales offices stating that fact.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much. If the repair is done correctly you will not know the difference. I would not drive it off the lot until you are satisfied.

And yes, I know from experience, I am a member of the roof vs. tree club that Dan mentioned. :eek:

Good luck and enjoy your new rig. Trace

Last edited:

mobilcastle

Caulking your seams is a good idea if needed every year-some put eternabond on front and rear cap seams and say they will never leak. I would do the PDI before signing or walk-there is always another deal. In this case I think Heartland will take care of it with no problem.good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk