New tow rig

Subdrv

Re: New tow rig:update

Just talked to the dealer, the EGR cooler ruptured an has to be replaced. They couldn't find any damage with the motor so we should be back on the road Thursday. Decided we will hang on to the truck for awhile i like the way it pulls the cyclone. I may upgrade to a 2015 when they come out.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Just talked to the dealer, the EGR cooler ruptured an has to be replaced. They couldn't find any damage with the motor so we should be back on the road Thursday. Decided we will hang on to the truck for awhile i like the way it pulls the cyclone. I may upgrade to a 2015 when they come out.

Cool. Good luck down the road as that is how my troubles started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

Have you explored any of the Ford Truck forums? Your's is not a unique problem.

Those links are for the 6.7 (2011 and up) but there are similar sections for each engine generation
EGR cooler issues are common and many install a coolant filter to grab the sand out of the system.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ford-powerstroke-scorpion-6-7-2011-forums/
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f148/

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

That is fantastic. The Egr Cooler issue has plagued Ford since the 6.0's came out. That is also what gave the 6.0's a bad name.

But if you are going to keep the pickup I would consider a EGR delete for pickup. Never worry about that issue again and get a increase in mpg.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Subdrv

Thank I looked into doing the EGR delete but I live in an inspection state plus I am worried about the warrenty company not covering something if I delete the EGR and have a problem.

Subdrv

Ok here is the latest, 25 miles back to the campground lost a gallon and a half of coolant. Back to the dealer gave me some story about water pump leaking into the block. I told him to get fixed so I could drive it to the dodge dealer for a new 3500 dully. I'm over fords after driving them for 40+ years. Anybody out there pulling a cyclone with a new 3500 dodge. If so how do you like it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ford vs. Dodge . . .

All I can say is this . . .

Over the years I've owned six Dodge trucks (all vans except for my current Ram 1500) . . . and three Ford trucks.

Two of the three Fords I've owned were in the repair shop almost as much as they were on the road . . .

The Dodge's . . . well, let me just say that they rarely (if ever) saw a mechanic!

My current 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 is the vehicle I've owned longer that any vehicle I've ever owned in my entire life . . . has 163,000 miles on it . . . and still has the original motor, tranny and exhaust system that was on it from the factory.

I just had the rear brakes replaced last summer for the first time . . . and had the catalytic converter replaced four years ago . . . and the radiator replaced five years ago . . . and replaced the U-joints, shocks and front-end parts at about 140,000 miles.

The front brake pads have been replaced by me three times over the years and new spark plugs a couple of times . . . other than that it is basically still from the factory original parts!

And will probably replace the tires on it for the third time soon . . . plus it could stand a paint job now!

It is getting old, however, and I plan on getting a new truck in the next year or so . . . and most likely will get another Dodge (probably a 2500).

Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

F'ed
O'ver
R'ebuilt
D'odge

I love my truck, and I plan on keeping it even when I replace it with a new one!

jnbhobe

Re: Ford vs. Dodge . . .

And I've never had a problem with one of my Fords!! They all work for some of us and some of us not at all.

JohnD

And I've never had a problem with one of my Fords!! They all work for some of us and some of us not at all.

I've owned two Ford vans and one 1985 Bronco II (one of my favorite vehicles of all time that I've ever owned) . . . but that Bronco II was in the shop a lot . . . and it was always over $1000 every time it needed service!

Basically . . . I couldn't afford to keep it on the road!

F'ix
O'or
R'eplace
D'aily

porthole

Retired

I've owned two Ford vans and one 1985 Bronco II (one of my favorite vehicles of all time that I've ever owned) . . . but that Bronco II was in the shop a lot . . . and it was always over $1000 every time it needed service!

Basically . . . I couldn't afford to keep it on the road!

F'ix
O'or
R'eplace
D'aily

I did a lot of time working at Dodge dealers

MOPAR - more ordered parts and recalls

All the manufacturers have busy shops.

JohnD

I did a lot of time working at Dodge dealers

MOPAR - more ordered parts and recalls

All the manufacturers have busy shops.

Funny . . . since I've never had any recall on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500!

Subdrv

This wasn't meant to start a which is better I know everyone has a favorite and brand loyalty, like I said I like my ford and have put a lot of money into the mods to tow with it. I am just over it and the third trip to 2 different dealers giving me it's fixed and you are good to go. So after 7k in repairs in the last 2 weeks most of which were covered by the extended warranty. It time to part ways and continue which my cross county retirement trip. My cyclone weight 18k pounds and I wondered how the ram handle that much weight.

porthole

Retired

Funny . . . since I've never had any recall on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500!

So you are one of the lucky ones.
I don't think I have ever owned a vehicle that did not have some type of campaign attached to it, and that includes Honda and Harley motorcycles.

Few people know that the Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare had so many recalls and bulletins that those two were responsible for almost bring Chrysler down back when the Iaccoa buyout kept them afloat.
Dodge Vans and PU's had plenty of recalls.

This wasn't meant to start a which is better I know everyone has a favorite and brand loyalty, like I said I like my ford and have put a lot of money into the mods to tow with it. I am just over it and the third trip to 2 different dealers giving me it's fixed and you are good to go. So after 7k in repairs in the last 2 weeks most of which were covered by the extended warranty. It time to part ways and continue which my cross county retirement trip. My cyclone weight 18k pounds and I wondered how the ram handle that much weight.

Well since the new frame 3500 ram's (MY '13 & MY '14) are rated to pull up to 30k (GCWR of 37,500 lbs) I'm sure you will be happy with a new ram.
my '10 mega cab 3500 ram pulls my 4000 cyclone just fine.
if I were you I'd go drive one!

tmcran

I don't know . . .

In my almost 40 years of driving and six Dodge trucks . . . and not one recall . . . I don't think that is "lucky".

We all know the U S Mail gets maill misplaced.:cool:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I don't know . . .

In my almost 40 years of driving and six Dodge trucks . . . and not one recall . . . I don't think that is "lucky".

What about all the Dodges that just had the Tie Rod recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertThumper

Ok here is the latest, 25 miles back to the campground lost a gallon and a half of coolant. Back to the dealer gave me some story about water pump leaking into the block. I told him to get fixed so I could drive it to the dodge dealer for a new 3500 dully. I'm over fords after driving them for 40+ years. Anybody out there pulling a cyclone with a new 3500 dodge. If so how do you like it.
Pulls great. Smooth pulling our road warrior. We have 4500 miles of towing. We are on a two week trip road trip headed to montana by tomorrow and that will add another 4000 miles on top of our existing miles. Did first oil change at 4000. 6 to 10% grades no problem. Our forth Dodge we've owned. No recalls, never had any problems. It's a cummins motor... Any questions let me know.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Sorry but you are experiencing same issue that I dealt with. I did go with a '14 ford though. Guess I am hard headed. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk